Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > i need new head unit/car stereo in my car.

i need new head unit/car stereo in my car.
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2004, 11:51 AM

alright.

so a few months back, i purchased a used 2000 golf. its got the monsoon system in it (a 6 speaker stereo a little better than stock thing). until now, ive used my ipod with it since it only has a tape deck, although i also went through all the old cassette tapes (oold mix tapes and crap) i had laying around the house too

anyway. on to my point. im tired of plugging and unplugging the ipod all the time, and want to get a MP3 CD playing headunit and burn off a batch of CDRs i can just leave in the car and not worry about getting stolen (another iPod concern). the interior of my car is all dark colored, the dash is black with red and bluish lighting, and i want something that somewhat matches the interior. any deck with a silver face (most of them it seems) isn't going to work.

i also dont want to spend more than about 200. so the fancy black face units or the ones that change a million colors arent an option either (unless i want to go with some low grade brand).

anyway. i think ive narrowed it down to this one.

im ok that the blue probably isnt going to match the bright blue of the golfs interior, because i think it looks basic (very comparatively speaking) and black.

any kisses or punches for the clarion brand?

ps. i have a thread going at vwvortex.com too. just wanted the input of you folks as well.

boardsurfer
Jul 1, 2004, 12:09 PM

In my experience an mp3 disc is much easier to navigate when the deck has a remote. Also, that unit has an aux input on the back - before you install it, plug something into that and run it to your glove box - voila - your own BMW/iPod rig.

edit: ok, so you wont be able to control the iPod from the glove box. But having the aux on the back makes hiding the cable a lot easier. If you find a place to wire in teh dock, that would make using the iPod much easier.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jul 1, 2004, 12:11 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 12, 2004 at 12:33 PM. )

scaught  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2004, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by boardsurfer:
In my experience an mp3 disc is much easier to navigate when the deck has a remote. Also, that unit has an aux input on the back - before you install it, plug something into that and run it to your glove box - voila - your own BMW/iPod rig.

edit: ok, so you wont be able to control the iPod from the glove box. But having the aux on the back makes hiding the cable a lot easier. If you find a place to wire in teh dock, that would make using the iPod much easier.
ya ya. thats part of the plan with that deck.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 02:26 PM

there is a new component coming from alpine that will display track info and be able to control the ipod from the head unit... the headunit must be alpine with their ai-net stuff tho

thats what i am getting when i get a new head unit

RGB
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 08:16 PM

It's blue and red, which matches the blue/red of my Elantra's dash.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Hwy2hw4...rch=kdc%2Dx579

It's a great quality unit, a bit over $200 though at $229

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2004, 08:51 PM

Realize, though, that if you install a Kenwood unit, you'll have to plaster a five-inch-tall logo across the rear window.

Just something to keep in mind.

I'm looking for something cheap and good myself, for my van. I'd also like a *small* subwoofer - I don't need (can't stand, actually) the usual BOOMbass, I just want to gently round off the bottom end.

Used.

I have a Blaupunkt CR43 (?) cassette deck, ca. 1993, in the Mercedes that I could install into the van (97 VW T4 Transporter TDI). I'd have to check how much that would shave off the value of the car, though, since I'm selling that.

It doesn't have a line in (at least on the front), so I'm running my iPod in via cassette adapter, but I'm thinking of going the iTrip route when I get a new iPod in October, so neither of those would be an issue, I'd think. I have no need for CD capability.

-s*

bleuvixen
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2004, 10:06 PM

I have:

I can't wait to get the iPod controller unit! It will be in my glove box (I think) Best setup for an iPod I think...

bleuvixen
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2004, 10:14 PM

Sorry didn't see you wanted to stay under $200/black at first!

There is the CDM 9803

I think you can get this for around $200 and has the BBE engine which IMO is great!

Linky
( Last edited by bleuvixen; Jul 1, 2004 at 10:19 PM. )

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 08:03 PM

I'll second the Alpines. Best quality I've heard - even after using it for 4 years. I used to have a Kenwood unit with the face that would flip around to "hide" it when you shut the car off. It was poorly engineered and really flimsy - always worried about it. I've since learned that keeping it simple is best for car audio. Alpine is simple enough and they sound great. See if you can get a refurb so you can get more features than the base model.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2004, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by bleuvixen:
Sorry didn't see you wanted to stay under $200/black at first!

There is the CDM 9803

I think you can get this for around $200 and has the BBE engine which IMO is great!

Linky
I have the $300 version of that unit with the AUX jack input. Sweet unit.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2004, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by bleuvixen:
I have:
http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/img/asb/cda-9827.gif
I can't wait to get the iPod controller unit! It will be in my glove box (I think) Best setup for an iPod I think...
Me too! It sounds terrific and I love the design. I'm only disappointed with the remote, it doesn't have a button to cycle through the displays. That's all I ask.

I didn't know about the upcoming iPod controller, have to keep an eye out for it�

Forum Links
Forum Rules