Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook -- Buy now, or wait?

iBook -- Buy now, or wait?
Tomchu
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 10:23 PM

Hi everyone,

I've come here to get some opinions on whether it'd be a wise idea to purchase an iBook. Having been b*tch-slapped by Apple twice in the past (I bought an iPod G4, only to have them release the color iPods shortly thereafter for the same price, and then a Mac Mini, only to have them provide free wireless + bluetooth + RAM for the same price shortly thereafter) I'm a little hesitant about buying an iBook.

Are there are rumours circulating about possible iBook updates or price drops? I've already got a pretty powerful Athlon XP-based laptop which I'd be selling in order to fund the iBook (I'm a poor aviation-school student), and I would hate to pay a certain price only to have Apple discount the entire series by $150 a month after I buy it. The $1,200 CAD that I'd be paying for the smallest iBook is already a bit much IMO, but ever since buying an iPod, and then a Mac Mini, I've become somewhat of a Mactard and don't feel guilty throwing money at Apple. Go go reality distortion field. :-/

So anyway, your opinions are welcome. To buy, or to wait?

warra
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2005, 12:02 AM

Sorry to hear about the buyer's remorse, but buy the ibook, they were just recently updated.

You can check this out for other products: Buyer's Guide
PB12 / 1.5 / 80 / 1.25 / SD

Tomchu  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2005, 12:46 AM

Oh, it's not remorse -- I very much enjoy both the iPod and Mini. Thanks for the link, though.

Does Apple ever spontaneously discount a line of products shortly after an update?

khufuu
Sep 30, 2005, 01:54 AM

Discount??

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2005, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
Does Apple ever spontaneously discount a line of products shortly after an update?
Apple has sold new items after an update for discounted prices, but not much of a discount. You could get a brand new 2.5 Dual G5 for $2800 when the 2.7s were announced for a few months.

The only realy way to get a discount is to buy a refurb. Sure, its used, but it has a warranty and is treated like a new machine. Sometimes you get extra RAM or even newer OSes with the machines. Otherwise, buy packages from the resellers for the most bang for the buck.

Oh, yeah. Amazon is constantly running rebates on NEW apple CPUs.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2005, 01:40 PM

I dont think Apple will be updating the iBook or Mac Mini until they introduce the Intel-based Macs by June 2006. It took Apple a long time to update the iBook from 1.2/1.33 to 1.33/1.42.

I'm sure they'll update the Powerbook, Cinema Displays, PowerMacs, eMac, iMac before June 2006 though. I'm really expecting the new Powerbook to be offered within then next 30 days.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2005, 08:30 PM

I will probably make the plunge and buy a new 12" iBook sometime next week. I currently own 3 mac mini's and a 17" iMac (G5). Selling one of the minis to help defer the cost of the iBook.

So, are there any issues with the current line of 12" iBooks I should be aware of?

Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2005, 02:05 AM

Only issue I found bothersome with the the current 12" is the fact that it has a Combo drive that refuses to let VLC access the DVD video without Apple DVD player apporving new DVD regions. It's a bit noisy as well.

avinash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2005, 03:10 AM

Hello to all of you. This is my first post here!

I don't currently have a Mac but I am planning to get a 14" iBook.

Should have buy the iBook now or should I wait for the Intel-based version which will normally be available next year?

I'm asking because I live in Mauritius (a small island in the Indian Ocean) where Macs are expensive compared to the average income. Basically I'll have to pay about 2 months of salary to buy one and this is a (relatively) big investment for me.

Has Apple said anything about continuing the development of Mac OS X (and other software like iLife) on PowerPC-based Macs in the coming years? Or will they only concentrate on Intel-based Macs as from next year?

Thanks

Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2005, 02:13 PM

Apple has supported the 68K years after they went to PowerPC. I'm expecting Apple to abandon the PowerPC in the year 2010-2012. I was able to play around with the 14" iBook and I'd only get it for the SuperDrive.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2005, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pao|o
Apple has supported the 68K years after they went to PowerPC. I'm expecting Apple to abandon the PowerPC in the year 2010-2012. I was able to play around with the 14" iBook and I'd only get it for the SuperDrive.
I'm thinking that I may just replace the combo drive with a superdrive if I decide I want/need it later on. (in the 12" iBook I plan on purchasing this week)

Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2005, 05:24 PM

I'm selling my iBook after Leopard comes out at the end of 2007. Leopard on Rev B Powerbook P5s.

avinash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2005, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by mavherzog
I'm thinking that I may just replace the combo drive with a superdrive if I decide I want/need it later on. (in the 12" iBook I plan on purchasing this week)
Hi Mavherzog,

Is it actually possible to replace the combo drive by a superdrive on the 12" iBook??? How? By whom?

Thanks.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2005, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by avinash
Is it actually possible to replace the combo drive by a superdrive on the 12" iBook??? How? By whom?
You can buy a superdrive from here.

AppLe_SnaP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2005, 06:22 PM

'cheated' by Apple?? that happened to mE as well!!!

I bought my 12" ibook not long ago...and 2 weeks later...apple realeases its updated model of iBooks...better yet...my model now has AU $150 cut down...and they're giving away a FREE airport as well...and i also happened to buy my airport at the same time as my iBoook...so now...i spent 150 + 179 ... which i could have saved if i had wait 2 weeks!!!

oh well...the iBook is a good machine still...

i have yet to see any problems with its OS and its software...and this is my first apple...and its really cool compared to windows...though there are problems with the outer design...being white...its soo much easier to get dirty...especially brown stains where your plam is placed...but they can be rid with with the good old erasers...but there has been heaps of problems...from many pp...with the letters of the keyboards fading off...and the trackpad is so easier made dirty and may stutter and go faulty...but it should be covered by apple's warranty though...

otherwise...go for the iBook!!! its just been updates...so i doubt it'll be again anytime soon...or you may wish to wait for the Intel-based products to come out...

Tomchu  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2005, 12:59 AM

Awesome, thanks for the opinions, guys. :-)

I ordered the 12" iBook yesterday after some careful deliberation. I was considering the 12" Powerbook because of the sexiness, but decided that the extra $600 was not worth the +20 GB/+173 MHz specs, coupled with the worsened WiFi reception. I'm pounding my refresh button and checking my order status like a madman.

It's been stuck on "Preparing shipment" for about 2 days now. :-/

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2005, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
I ordered the 12" iBook yesterday after some careful deliberation.
Congratulations. I ordered a 12" iBook a few days ago as well (from Amazon). Mine's not due to be shipped till the 10th, so I've got a bit of time to wait.

Sounds like we've got quite a few new 12" iBook owners waiting for shipment. I expect a big long review thread in a week or two!

matty-uk
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2005, 10:18 AM

Nice one on the purchase, I myself am patiently waiting for June, then i'll finally take the plunge after faffing around for 4 years and get one

Forum Links
Forum Rules