Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Women of MacNN: let's try again

Women of MacNN: let's try again (Page 2)
andi*pandi
Jan 21, 2007, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
OK, then it was the cute li'l candy buttons, right? C'mon you can tell us.
sonny, when I first used the mac there wasn't any fancy color/candy buttons. The first one I bought ran OS 7.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I don't really get it. It's not like being a computer nerd prevents you from speaking to other people. I had plenty of female friends both in and after college — only one was also a computer geek, but that didn't matter. People don't need to share every single interest I have. There's usually enough we can agree on — hating Julia Roberts, the war in Iraq was a colossal ****-up, Hiro Nakamura on Heroes is the greatest character since sliced bread, all the usual stuff.
Maybe it's just me, then. I do speak to other people outside the computer world, and it never ends well. Not only that, but girls seem to have a harder time making friends with other girls compared to how guys fare in making female friends. Ah, well...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
@shifuimam

I find it interesting that you characterize everything in terms of a pretty-vs-ugly dichotomy. Whether it is used in commenting on the people or the technology you use this basic paradigm of attractiveness as your frame-work for discussion. There are dozens of other logical pairings out there that could apply to this topic, but you chose to use the pretty-vs-ugly pairing. Why is that? Why this binary pair?
Because in my own experiences, hot chicks seem to get things much easier, faster, and nicer than someone who looks like me. Not only that, but the same hot chicks also get a lot of pleasure out of pointing out how ugly I and others like me are.

I suppose it's a girl thing. Maybe guys don't have to think about it as much.

You did mention other "logical pairings"...smart vs. stupid. If you're smart and hot or stupid and smart, people still like you. If you're smart and ugly, people put up with you, and if you're stupid and ugly, people hate you and suckerpunch (physically or metaphorically) you regularly. How about rich vs. poor? Same thing. Physical beauty and appearances matter a hell of a lot more than whether or not you can do differential equations in your head.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2007, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
You did mention other "logical pairings"...smart vs. stupid. If you're smart and hot or stupid and smart, people still like you. ...
Nice Freudian slip

-t

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 05:48 PM

Yeah...you don't want to see what I look like. You'd run screaming in the other direction.
did all that teasing from "the plastics" really get to you THAT much??

flyordiedays
Jan 21, 2007, 06:06 PM

Full disclosure: I've loved macs for over 10 years, but was only able to buy my first one this summer.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2007, 06:13 PM

As a guy, I find myself kinda in the geek closet. Folks at work know I know a lot about computers. I'm the one they always ask for help, I believe though, they would definitely think differently of me if they knew I subscribed to Make magazine and bought the ten pack of pc boards instead of the two pack.

P.S.

I posted in teh chick thread!!!!

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
did all that teasing from "the plastics" really get to you THAT much??
Hahahaha...no. I went to a Christian school. Nobody teased someone because they were ugly, since that wasn't "WWJD" kosher. People DID, however, talk about me behind me back and give me disgusted looks when I didn't match up to their appearance standards.

I mean, don't you pity ugly people who try to pretend like they're pretty? I'd much rather be aware of my own physical shortcomings than spend time and money trying to be someone I'm not.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2007, 06:35 PM

Because in my own experiences, hot chicks seem to get things much easier, faster, and nicer than someone who looks like me. Not only that, but the same hot chicks also get a lot of pleasure out of pointing out how ugly I and others like me are.
Are you by any chance in the eighth grade?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 06:36 PM

I only date plastic girls / guys

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
I only date plastic girls / guys
Yea, better in bed from what I've heard.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2007, 06:50 PM

I mean, don't you pity ugly people who try to pretend like they're pretty?
You mean people who realize there's a grey area between "bum with no teeth and mangy hair" and "Adriana Lima"? No, I don't really pity them.
Chuck
___

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 07:07 PM

Are you by any chance in the eighth grade?
No.

You mean people who realize there's a grey area between "bum with no teeth and mangy hair" and "Adriana Lima"? No, I don't really pity them.
I agree there's a grey area. I don't fall into that grey area.

It does happen, you know.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2007, 07:25 PM

How can a bum have teeth?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2007, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
How can a bum have teeth?
Was that supposed to be funny or witty ?

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2007, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

-t

Well, my bum doesn't have teeth... I could post a pic to prove this.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 21, 2007, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by flyordiedays View Post
Full disclosure: I've loved macs for over 10 years, but was only able to buy my first one this summer.
You are far from alone in this. Same here, but it's been since the Mac GS-almost 20 years for me.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 07:40 PM

Hahahaha...no. I went to a Christian school. Nobody teased someone because they were ugly, since that wasn't "WWJD" kosher. People DID, however, talk about me behind me back and give me disgusted looks when I didn't match up to their appearance standards.

I mean, don't you pity ugly people who try to pretend like they're pretty? I'd much rather be aware of my own physical shortcomings than spend time and money trying to be someone I'm not.

to be honest, i'd rather feel bad for the girl that was ugly and didn't have any self respect and cared what other people thought of her, than an ugly girl that held her head up high and showed that she was confident in her self and couldn't give a rats ass what others said about her.
personality is more of a "oh, I would so go out with her" factor. People can change there looks, but not how they think of themselves (after a certain age) regardless of how much they say they love themselves after years of them thinking other wise.

my 2¢

Alex

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2007, 07:55 PM

It looks like this thread might get derailed before my fiance has a chance to get a mac and join macnn. I told her that when we are married she can use any computer she wants and after 5 years she finally agreed to get a mac.

Play nice so she has a chance at making it into this thread instead of starting her own.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

gargamel123
Jan 21, 2007, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Well, my bum doesn't have teeth... I could post a pic to prove this.
My bum doesn't have teeth either

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2007, 10:24 PM

Perhaps my experience is skewed, but I always found the non-obese women in my math and computer classes to be attractive. Maybe not supermodels, but fit, healthy, happy, pretty, funny, interesting, and - when alone - very uninhibited in the bedroom.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
... and - when alone - very uninhibited in the bedroom.
What were you doing spying on them when they were alone in their bedrooms? Perv.

Or were you trying to say that when more than one of them were together in a bedroom they were more inhibited?
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2007, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Perhaps my experience is skewed, but I always found the non-obese women in my math and computer classes to be attractive. Maybe not supermodels, but fit, healthy, happy, pretty, funny, interesting, and - when alone - very uninhibited in the bedroom.
There simply weren't any women in my Comp Sci classes.

Tons of women Math majors though.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2007, 11:51 PM

Not a whole lot of women engineers here either. This semester I'm taking a few gen-ed classes and it honestly feels weird to sit next to a girl in class. Not a bad weird, but just different from what I've experienced for the past two and a half years.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2007, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
There simply weren't any women in my Comp Sci classes.

Tons of women Math majors though.
Were a lot of them going into Math Ed?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2007, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
He was pretending I meant "ass" rather than "poor person with no home."
Chuck
___

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2007, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777 View Post
Were a lot of them going into Math Ed?
Not sure. My school was big into math scholarships though.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 22, 2007, 11:03 AM

All the mac using girls I know are hot. Some wear glasses.
ice

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2007, 11:54 AM

No, my post had nothing to do with donkeys!

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2007, 01:01 PM

I'm confused. I thought every Mac gal looked like the women of Mac360. Was I wrong?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2007, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
All the mac using girls I know are hot. Some wear glasses.
Glasses are hot on some women. I love it when my wife wears glasses. She thinks I'm kidding, and I can't convince her to wear them as often as I'd like.

andi*pandi
Jan 22, 2007, 02:23 PM

Why would the relative hotness of geeky girls in general or MacNN women in specific even be relevant? We don't hold the men to those factors before letting them register.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2007, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Why would the relative hotness of geeky girls in general or MacNN women in specific even be relevant? We don't hold the men to those factors before letting them register.

How dare you blowing up our double standards

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Well, obviously we'll let them register regardless. How else are they going to post their pix?
Chuck
___

bleuvixen
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2007, 03:43 PM

I an a 25 year old female. My first computer was a Mac Plus, I think I was 8 when we got it. I've only ever had Apples. My mom has an classic rainbow logo tattooed on the ankle. All of my major relationships were and are with die hard mac people. i can not open my powerbook up and do things to the insides i leave that to my husband who loves it. maybe that make me fall into the stereotype that shifuimam was talking about but i'm not going to apologize for being artistic and loving photoshop and the interface or "the candy buttons and pretty colors" of the mac. oh and all thru high school and collage i hung out with programmers and techies and the popular groups. its not what you look like or what gender you are its your attitude and personality. if you go into a room of "pretty people" with an attitude of a buzz-saw bitch than that is how you will be treated.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2007, 03:51 PM

My girlfriend is actually a Mac user, and she lived in Cupertino before College. I didn't know this before I dated her (she said she lived in Santa Clara, and I didn't know where that was.)

Me: (Something about how Apple is based in Cupertino).
Her: Oh yeah, they're an exit away from my house. I used to drive up there with my friend and drive on the Infinite Loop playing loud music with the windows down.
Me: Wha?

I went down to Cupertino with her over New Years and actually saw the site for the new Apple campus. It's literally about 3 blocks away from her house. All the old buildings are still on the lot though, Apple hasn't taken them down yet.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2007, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I went down to Cupertino with her over New Years and actually saw the site for the new Apple campus. It's literally about 3 blocks away from her house. All the old buildings are still on the lot though, Apple hasn't taken them down yet.
Did you stand outside and yell, "Steve! Steve! Come out! I love you!" at the buildings? Because you know I would have.
Chuck
___

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2007, 04:21 PM

Did you stand outside and yell, "Steve! Steve! Come out! I love you!" at the buildings? Because you know I would have.
I've actually visited a friend on the main Apple campus for lunch before. No sign of Steve, but Bertrand Serlet (Vice President of Software Engineering) took a chair from our table (his accent is very distinct). I thought it was cool, my girlfriend wasn't quite as amazed.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
to be honest, i'd rather feel bad for the girl that was ugly and didn't have any self respect and cared what other people thought of her, than an ugly girl that held her head up high and showed that she was confident in her self and couldn't give a rats ass what others said about her.
personality is more of a "oh, I would so go out with her" factor. People can change there looks, but not how they think of themselves (after a certain age) regardless of how much they say they love themselves after years of them thinking other wise.

my 2¢

Alex
IMO, you got that backwards. People can't easily change their looks, but they can change how they think of themselves at any age--though its not easy. I've generally found that some "ugly" guys and girls tend only to fixate on what attractive people think of them and anchor their self esteem to them. Would I compare favorably to Jake Gyllenhaal? not. So its a good thing I think of myself as more attractive than Emeril. ha ha

Jan 22, 2007, 05:44 PM

This sounds like a thread where women will all be asked to vote for Billary Clinton.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2007, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
IMO, you got that backwards. People can't easily change their looks, but they can change how they think of themselves at any age--though its not easy. I've generally found that some "ugly" guys and girls tend only to fixate on what attractive people think of them and anchor their self esteem to them. Would I compare favorably to Jake Gyllenhaal? not. So its a good thing I think of myself as more attractive than Emeril. ha ha
to each his own. i see what your saying though. tricky world this one is.

Alex

hart  (op)
Senior User
Jan 26, 2007, 12:11 PM

got distracted for a few days ...

hey, shifuimam, if it makes you feel any better, those plastic bible college babes when they come to NYC for their fashion field trips? The New Yorkers make fun of them and their tacky clothes. And your look is something that exists independant of your looks if you see what I mean. How you carry yourself, put yourself together, these things say a lot more about you than your bone structure.

Anyway, what I said about college and high school goes double for bible college.

People are jumping all over you but really, don't give so much credit to what those people think.

So anyway, I keep reading articles about how about half of all undergraduate degrees in technical areas are being awarded to women. I gotta find some of them but based on that it seems that most of the guys talking about never seeing any women in their classes are not seeing the big picture statistically speaking. I did also read the other day that at every stage of transition, high school to college, college to grad school, school to work, work to promotion, women tend to drop out of these fields but I can't remember what the explanation was. I have to look for this info.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 26, 2007, 12:18 PM

It's clever humor like that that keeps people coming back..

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 03:30 PM

Well, you women of 'NN can be proud of us men.

We accomplished to derail this thread to asses and bums

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 03:38 PM

And still no pics!
Chuck
___

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2007, 03:53 PM

And still no pics!
I'm not surprised. You can't trust us

-t

paul w
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2007, 03:57 PM

I had no idea some of you were women. Now I'm compelled to treat you differently. I told you no good will come of this.

On a related note, angelmb has nice eyes.

natnabour
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2007, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by flyordiedays View Post
Hello. I'm a chick, and I use a mac. I'm also a big geek, but I'm okay with that.
me too!

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2007, 12:50 AM

BOT- Mac - chicks r kewl

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2007, 12:59 AM

Yup! Let's try again [harder].

Forum Links
Forum Rules