Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Touch Unboxing!

iPod Touch Unboxing!
vertigociel
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2007, 12:32 AM

Although there are a few unboxing galleries, I'm gonna post mine anyways!

It's syncing at the moment, so I'll post first impressions after it's done. If you have any questions you'd like answered, feel free to ask!
15" MacBook Pro C2D, 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Matte Display.

vertigociel  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2007, 01:38 AM

A quick update - during my first attempt to sync, about halfway through (1,300 of 2,700 songs), it popped up an error dialogue telling me "The iPod "Aoede" could not be synced, because the disk could not be read." I disconnected it, and whatever had synced over showed up in the music app. Then I downloaded 7.4.1 (I was running 7.4 earlier), reconnected my iPod, and it started syncing from the beginning again (it didn't recognize the music that had synced earlier). It's at about 2,000 songs synced at the moment, and seems to be going fine now. Hopefully it won't happen again.

vertigociel  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2007, 04:43 AM

A few things I've noticed after a couple hours of use:

Coverflow is faster on this than on my computer! It must be really really optimized. Only rarely (when I'm scrolling as fast as I possibly can) do the album covers not load before they come on screen.

Video viewing angle is very narrow on video with lots of black - too shallow or too steep, and all the darks "shimmer" as if you're viewing an LCD from too far to the side.

There's no way I can see to subscribe to Podcasts, or download new episodes, from the WiFi music store, nor can I see any way to get DRM-free "iTunes Plus" tracks.

A few albums that have album art in Coverflow in iTunes on my computer show up as blank on the iPod.

Other than some small qualms, I'm blown away by this thing. Coverflow is fantastic, videos look superb, and mobile Safari is the best browser on a portable device, bar none. It is truly the best iPod ever made.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2007, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by vertigociel View Post
There's no way I can see to subscribe to Podcasts, or download new episodes, from the WiFi music store
Noooooooooo!

As if a million podcasters suddenly cried out in pain, and then were suddenly silent. Say it isn't so.

(@&# you, Apple.. What a missed opportunity. Loading up some podcasts in a coffee shop before setting off again would've been just too cool.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2007, 05:38 AM

Hey vertigociel, a quick question if you're still online:

When you flip the touch on its side to show CoverFlow, is the sequence always the same? That is, alphabetically by Artist?

And are podcast "album art" always included?

That's something that really bugs me on the iPhone, it always shows podcasts amongst music albums, and as podcast covers are often crude, primitive things and half the time don't exist anyway (ie, big blank gaps), it looks bad.

kman42
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2007, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
Noooooooooo!

As if a million podcasters suddenly cried out in pain, and then were suddenly silent. Say it isn't so.

(@&# you, Apple.. What a missed opportunity. Loading up some podcasts in a coffee shop before setting off again would've been just too cool.
Send them feedback. They'll add it if customer's want it.

I think it's a great idea. I live off of NPR podcasts and Coffee Break Spanish now at work. Being able to download new episodes by wifi would rule. I'd also like to be able to set preferences for each podcast separately as I want all the episodes of some podcasts, but only a few of others.

kman

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2007, 09:36 AM

Very cool. Glad you like it.

I hope they enable the Music Store for the iPhone soon, and enable Podcasts on it.

xtal
Senior User
Sep 14, 2007, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I hope they enable the Music Store for the iPhone soon, and enable Podcasts on it.
I encourage you (and everyone else who feels the same) to let Apple know that you'd like podcasts on the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store.

www.apple.com/feedback

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

Robert Hicks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2007, 12:55 PM

Can you access gmail using safari? What about gmail chat?

(Yes I know one would think you could but confirmation would be nice before I place an order)

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2007, 01:44 PM

I just logged into my gmail through Safari on my iPhone now. It works fine.
Gmail does not have a Chat feature with the new version of Safari and the google.com/talk page requires Flash, so it doesn't work on the iPhone.

Robert Hicks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2007, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I just logged into my gmail through Safari on my iPhone now. It works fine.
Gmail does not have a Chat feature with the new version of Safari and the google.com/talk page requires Flash, so it doesn't work on the iPhone.
Excellent. Thank you.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2007, 01:47 PM

...and while your're giving Apple your feedback, let em know we want Calendar editing !

vertigociel  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2007, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
When you flip the touch on its side to show CoverFlow, is the sequence always the same? That is, alphabetically by Artist?

And are podcast "album art" always included?
Yes, the sequence is always alphabetic by artist, no matter whether you enter it browsing by Artists, Songs, Albums, whichever. Podcasts do not show up in Cover Flow - they can only be accessed via the "Podcast" buttons (they also show up in the main Video menu if they're video podcasts).

Can you access gmail using safari? What about gmail chat?
GMail works perfectly fine - however, GMail chat doesn't show up.

Another thing that's nice - pressing the spacebar twice rapidly inserts a period followed by a space (this behavior can be turned off in the settings, though I don't know why you'd want to do that).

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2007, 01:56 PM

I hope the double tap space comes to the iPhone soon. I liked that feature on the BlackBerry. If you double tap you get a space, but without typing, and doing it again, do you get another . or two spaces?

Gig103
Sep 14, 2007, 03:45 PM

I have a question ... does the Calendar allow for alerts (sort of like a PDA would)?

Congrats on picking one up!
-Mike
=======
My Home Theater: The Stig Cinema
My Powerbook: Alum 15", 1.33ghz G4, 256mb, 60gb, combo drive

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2007, 04:25 PM

A few things I've noticed after a couple hours of use:
There's no way I can see to subscribe to Podcasts, or download new episodes, from the WiFi music store, nor can I see any way to get DRM-free "iTunes Plus" tracks.
According to Gizmodo iTunes Plus tracks are available.
[Update: ITunes Plus is available via the Wi-Fi store. You have to have iTunes Plus activated on the computer you sync with (iTunes store>Account Info>Manage iTunes Plus). Once you turn it on and resync, iTunes Plus content appears in the Wi-Fi store. Thanks, Sir Crumpet.]

michaelb
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2007, 05:31 PM

Podcasts do not show up in Cover Flow
Excellent news! Having them show there on the iPhone always bothered me, as the "album art" for a podcast just doesn't fit amongst music albums.

Maybe the Apple - Feedback really does work, as I'd filed this problem way back.

Now if only they'd put podcasts back where they belong, in the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store.

Send feedback... Apple probably thinks podcasts are low priority for people.

Apple - Feedback

"Dear brilliant iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store team,

Please implement podcasts in the Wi-Fi store.

Your devoted fan,

xxxxxxxx"

Forum Links
Forum Rules