Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iTouch any plans for 802.11n?

iTouch any plans for 802.11n?
pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2007, 12:27 PM

I was disappointed to see iTouch being 802.11g.

I wonder if there are any plans to release an AirPort Extreme 802.11n* Enabler as they did for some MBP models.

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2007, 07:07 AM

There's no plans for an 802.11n enabled, since the hardware isn't there. It's impossible to add it through software. If it ever happens, it will be a new feature in the next-gen touch. It's not likely to happen any time soon, because the power requirements of 802.11n chipsets are so high that it would severely reduce overall battery life.

I'm perfectly happy with the b/g calibilities. 802.11n networks are still pretty rare, and g is fast enough to load webpages quite speedily, as well as stream 800 Kbps videos without problems!
( Last edited by vertigociel; Sep 27, 2007 at 07:10 AM. Reason: typos)
15" MacBook Pro C2D, 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Matte Display.

studgrade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2007, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by pcryan5 View Post
I was disappointed to see iTouch being 802.11g.

I wonder if there are any plans to release an AirPort Extreme 802.11n* Enabler as they did for some MBP models.
Have you tried an iPod Touch yet? I downloaded my first album last night on the Canadian WIFI Store and the 10 songs took all of about 90 seconds, (at the most), to download. I was astonished at the speed of it. Just Incredible.

Later...

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2007, 04:01 PM

Right, 802.11b/g is enough for the iPod Touch. It also keeps the price down a little bit as well.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2007, 04:27 PM

802.11n on the iPod Touch? You kidding me. The iPod Touch has a 16GB capacity, solid state memory. What possible benefit do you achieve with 802.11n? Transfer a DVD over? Share iPod Touch drive on the network?

I never even complain about 802.11g on my laptops.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

gomariners
Sep 30, 2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
802.11n on the iPod Touch? You kidding me. The iPod Touch has a 16GB capacity, solid state memory. What possible benefit do you achieve with 802.11n? Transfer a DVD over? Share iPod Touch drive on the network?
The best reason for me is that I live in an area that's 802.11g saturated, and I'd prefer to use a 5.4 ghz 802.11n router, but if I want to use the iPhone with it I need to move to 2.4 ghz where I lose connections all the time.

My plan is to just plug an express into an extreme and see how that goes...

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2007, 06:46 PM

the express, since it would be g, would lower the n router (extreme) down to g. what ever the lowest network signal is on your net work the faster will just downvert to it.

say i had a powerbook with g airport inside, and 2 mbp with n on the same network, and an extreme that is n. everything would be put down to g because of that one powerbook with the g network card inside.

alex

gomariners
Sep 30, 2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
the express, since it would be g, would lower the n router (extreme) down to g. what ever the lowest network signal is on your net work the faster will just downvert to it.

say i had a powerbook with g airport inside, and 2 mbp with n on the same network, and an extreme that is n. everything would be put down to g because of that one powerbook with the g network card inside.
No, no, my plan is to literally plug the express into the extreme via ethernet, not bridge over wireless. So, the extreme would NAT the express, and then the express would serve out from there. I'll set the extreme to 802.11n 5.4 ghz only mode. (So there will be two wireless networks, one exclusively n, one exclusive b/g.)

My only question is will airtunes work if I'm logged in via 802.11n to the extreme...

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2007, 07:36 PM

the first part sounds reasonable. the second part might work if itunes can see other networks speakers. i haven't used airtunes so i wouldn't know

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2007, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by gomariners View Post
No, no, my plan is to literally plug the express into the extreme via ethernet, not bridge over wireless. So, the extreme would NAT the express, and then the express would serve out from there. I'll set the extreme to 802.11n 5.4 ghz only mode. (So there will be two wireless networks, one exclusively n, one exclusive b/g.)

My only question is will airtunes work if I'm logged in via 802.11n to the extreme...
Yes, it will. While I don't have the exact setup, I've had no problems streaming to my express no matter how I'm connected to my network. I have a Buffalo router with 2.4 and 5ghz radios in it that can run at the same time, and I have the 5 set to be an N only network for my MacBook, and the 2.4 set to b/g compatible with the express bridged wirelessly to it.

Essentially, as long as the network is one solid subnet, the bonjour discovery of the express will work for Airtunes.
<This space under renovation>

Forum Links
Forum Rules