Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Stats Server is down for the count

Stats Server is down for the count
reader50
Administrator
Jul 5, 2011, 12:05 AM

We had an unexpected summer storm here. Lightning and over an inch of rain, when we normally get none in July. The stats server got hit by several power line ups and downs, and it didn't take it well.

The system gives a SMART error on the boot drive, and apparently cannot fix itself - possibly from a head crash. fsck did it's best, but the boot process does not complete and the system rejects all logins.

I've got spare drives sitting around, but am short on linux-fu, and have to work more hours this summer. So I've got no idea when it will be back. There's no install CDs for it (an old Debian distro) so I may have to learn modern Linux and rebuild the system from scratch.

It may get retired for the summer at least. It's likely to be awhile before I can put an optical drive in it and try something.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2011, 06:39 AM

Yikes! Thanks for the update! I hope nothing else got torched.

BTBlomberg
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2011, 04:45 PM

Wow! Sorry to hear that. You get to it when you get to it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by BTBlomberg View Post
You get to it when you get to it.
+1 on that. I kinda like my new sig.

Billy
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2011, 08:56 AM

It's too hot here to run DC for the summer, so I won't miss my falling stats!

DrBoar
Senior User
Sep 28, 2011, 02:47 AM

Any news on the stat server?
And a large thank you for all the work done on the server over the years

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Oct 3, 2011, 02:06 AM

It's sitting unplugged in the server room. Once the weather cools I'm going to try a reinstall. I *might* have an install CD for the Debian version on it, but no idea if Linux will allow a repair-install. Otherwise it's likely to be a clean install of the latest ubuntu.

Then I'd have to get a modern driver for the RAID card, or add an SSD to replace it. Hopefully I can at least reach the DB files - it's a RAID-1 so the individual disks may mount even if the RAID card is no longer supported.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 5, 2011, 12:42 AM

What version of Debian?
What is the HDD? Make, model, firmware version, connection type.

There is a data recovery service I use over here, their rates are extremely reasonable. I don't know what it would cost to ship the drive over here though. Likewise, if I have a spare drive that can be used as a donor, you can have it.

You could download and burn a CD of MHDD.
Boot the PC from it and tell me what attributes are failing - select the drive and then type smart att .

Lastly, check it's not just a power supply issue. Bad PSUs will cause all sorts of funky behavior. What make and model is it?

Edit: Wait a second. Are you telling me you already have a mirrored RAID? If both drives are failing SMART - that's suspicious.
Assuming all other components are good the second drive is worth a shot.

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Oct 5, 2011, 02:22 AM

It's an old Athlon box with 2 GB RAM. The system and most files are on the failing PATA HD. The MySQL DB files are stored on the mirrored RAID (via a RAID card). Both of those drives are OK. The PS is an 80+ bought a couple years ago as an upgrade.

I have spare drives, and can read the SMART attributes by popping the boot drive into my eSATA enclosure. Don't know the other items you asked about.

Data recovery is not needed. The real data is on the RAID array. The website files are all restorable from my development copies, so all I really need is to restore and configure a bootable system. I've got separate backups of httpd.conf and the crontab, but no backups of php.ini or mysql.conf

Configuring PHP is likely to be easy, but rebuilding MySQL 4 or migrating to a later version (and importing the older data files) could be an issue. Oracle seems to have nuked all the downloads of older MySQL versions, and is well on their way to forcing multiple forks with the contributors.

So I need to replace the HD, install a fresh system, configure (or recover a few config files) and salvage the MySQL 4 DB files. Mostly software and linux-fu issues.

On the plus side, I added a real UPS to the server room about a week after the failure. For good luck I guess.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 6, 2011, 12:04 AM

Oh it's not as bad as I first thought then.

I take it the drive won't mount on your G5... you could download Photorec (www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec) to see if it can recover any files or directories. I don't think you have to mount the volume to use it.
I would think having /etc would make life easier for you. Perhaps also /usr and /var.
Apparently the MySQL configuration file is in /etc/my.cnf

Depending on how bad your power is and what make/model the PSU is, it might be failing, but unlikely.

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Oct 6, 2011, 12:44 AM

Haven't tried pulling drives or anything else to check in the G5. And I can mount ext 2/3 systems. Even ext4 mounts (read-only) via the MacFUSE driver. I've just been busy with work over the summer.

The power here is usually reliable. My G4 and G5 ran for years with only surge suppressors, and the G4 went a few years without even those.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 6, 2011, 06:18 AM

Let me know how you get on when you have time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules