Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Booting into a backup OS-external drive too slow to use

Booting into a backup OS-external drive too slow to use
jeff k
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2013, 11:07 PM

I moved over to Mountain last month, but surprising to me, I had one printing app I had not upgraded. I booted into Snow, external drive, but beachball comes up on every single click making the experience unusable. What is it about working off an external drive that is just not workable? I was not aware this would happen. thanks.

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2013, 11:17 PM

It's important to check that your clones work well periodically. When did you last test the clone? I have booted from 10.6.8 OS clones from time to time and aside from taking a few seconds more to boot via firewire, they typically run at undistinguishable speed compared to the internal drive.

I'm almost afraid to ask this question, but did you do your Mountain Lion upgrade with the clone attached -- your other posts indicate that you like to leave these clones attached all the time. And that you had been experiencing a problem whereby the operating system seems to confuse identical files on the source and clone drives? I am fearful that something on the clone and source got jumbled during the ML upgrade due to such file confusion. If that did happen (speculation on my part, but it's based on your other posts), it is possible that both your Mountain Lion install on the internal drive as well as your external clone integrity have been compromised.
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8
Macbook Pro Retina Display 15", 16 GB RAM, 10.7.4
iMac G5 2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, 10.5.8
Macbook Air Core 2 Duo 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2013, 04:02 AM

The problem might be simpler:
10.6 and 10.8 use different indices for Spotlight. When you switch from one OS to the other, ALL Spotlight databases on all attached drives are completely rebuilt from scratch.

When you find the system so unresponsive, click on the Spotlight icon on the menu bar. It will show you that it is re-indexing. Once it's done, system response should be back to normal.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2013, 03:48 PM

Steve thanks, it may have been attached, don't remember. Mountain is working great though. I just assumed becuase it's on OS on a FW external its crazy slow.

S .. did not think of that will test. (can I tell Snow then to not index, stop? don't need it, just a emergency drive)

Hopefully I'll get the upgrade Monday and will never have to go back to Snow. But also curious. Is it possible to put snow on the internal now or too late? (as a partition of course), not sure I even want to bother— just asking.

BTW Steve, you saw the quote from Dave at SD, this guy knows more than anyone imaginable about Mac OSs and he said he keep many hardrive clones attached at all times without issue!

P
Feb 11, 2013, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
S .. did not think of that will test. (can I tell Snow then to not index, stop? don't need it, just a emergency drive)
Yes. Just go to the Spotlight settings and mark the entire drive as private and excluded from indexing.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2013, 02:09 PM

thanks, well just ordered new software, but I'll hold onto this info. I bet that was the issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules