Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > When a co-worker murders someone..

When a co-worker murders someone.. (Page 2)
SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Me neither. I've heard sober people kill other people sometimes too. How anybody can hear about stories like that and then be sober themselves is beyond me.
I like to keep my mind in control of my body. The chances of a person doing something dumb go up when they alter their mental state regardless of whether they were predisposed to violence or not.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 30, 2007, 11:54 PM

Pot also messes with your reaction time. Of course you don't notice it when you are high...

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2007, 12:18 AM

As several people have said, those with a tendency towards violence will be violent whether they are on drugs are not. Granted some drugs make people more susceptible to acting on their violent desires (e.g.: alcohol and bar fights) but no drug can *make* someone violent who isn't naturally inclined to be that way. And as far as getting high goes, I was never a big smoker myself but I know and have been around enough smokers, serious grow-their-own smokers, to surmise that weed is less likely to inspire someone to act on their violent desires than other drugs. Like Rob said, the snack drawer is probably the most frequent target of "violent" behavior by someone stoned out of their gourd.
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Jan 31, 2007 at 12:27 AM. Reason: fixed a typo.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2007, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I like to keep my mind in control of my body. The chances of a person doing something dumb go up when they alter their mental state regardless of whether they were predisposed to violence or not.
True. But do you abstain from consuming alcohol as well so as to "keep [your] mind in control of [your] body"? Because alcohol is THE most common drug in use around the world today.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 31, 2007, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Like Rob said, the snack drawer is probably the most frequent target of "violent" behavior by someone stoned out of their gourd.

I was just involved in an incident as described above. I was lucky to make it through the ordeal.

I'm beat now, gonna have to lay down and watch some cartoons.
ice

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 31, 2007, 02:33 AM

Uh huh. Right. The chances of someone doing something dumb go up when they're tired, cranky, trying to impress the opposite sex, blah blah blah blah. Might as well order take out for the rest of your life, and stay indoors. You'll be safe that way.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 31, 2007, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
True. But do you abstain from consuming alcohol as well so as to "keep [your] mind in control of [your] body"? Because alcohol is THE most common drug in use around the world today.
Actually you're wrong. Caffiene is the most commonly used drug in the world. It affects reactions, steady hands, body temperatures, all sorts of stuff. It also creates dependency, someone who has coffee every morning who suddenly doesn't get it will become somewhat of a zombie.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
I was just involved in an incident as described above. I was lucky to make it through the ordeal.

I'm beat now, gonna have to lay down and watch some cartoons.
Here's a tip. I was in the same situation last night with a couple friends and we watched a real hum dinger of a movie perfect for the event:

For Your Height Only

YouTube - For Y'ur Height Only - Jet Pack Lunacy.

Trust me.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2007, 05:06 PM

Yes I understand that many things can be dangerous, no I don't avoid all of them 100%. I try to find a middle ground where I think I retain enough control to not kill someone. Do I drink? Yes. Do I get drunk? No. Maybe I am wrong, but at least for me I know I can stop drinking when I want to and therefore don't mind drinking. What I try to avoid are substances where I think the risk of losing control is far greater (i.e. not caffeine) or totally unknown to me (heroine).
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 1, 2007, 03:14 AM

Do I drink? Yes. Do I get drunk? No.
That's pretty much like smoking pot, but not inhaling.

Forum Links
Forum Rules