Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > does best buy's extender warranty cover burn in?

does best buy's extender warranty cover burn in?
macfantn
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2007, 09:56 PM

i have burn in from watching 4:3 on a 16:9 tv.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2007, 09:57 PM

CRT? Plasma?

From what I've been told, the Best Buy warranty covers anything. I've never actually tested it...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 8, 2007, 10:14 PM

So pretend that i got a 2GB Nano for Christmas last year and my parents got suckered into buying the warranty. How could I go about getting a new Nano for free?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 8, 2007, 10:19 PM

You could cover your TV in chocolate sauce and I'm pretty sure the BB warranty would cover it.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2007, 10:21 PM

pretend that you have a strong magnet, and then pretend that the strong imaginated magnet gets pressed against your pretended 2gb nano, and pretend to take it to your pretend bestbuy and say that your pretend 2g nano doesn't work anymore for somereason and that your pretended parents got a warranty and then you pretend that you would like to use the warranty for a replacement nano.

pretend though that the pretend best buy might still have some pretend 2nd gen nanos in stock and youd get stuck with another 2nd gen nano.

Alex

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2007, 10:25 PM

i have a crt rear projection bought it march 04 but i have a 4 yr warranty. Should I just call my local BB or is there an 800 # i should call?
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2007, 10:26 PM

It should cover burn-in. Check the terms of your warranty closely.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
pretend that you have a strong magnet, and then pretend that the strong imaginated magnet gets pressed against your pretended 2gb nano, and pretend to take it to your pretend bestbuy and say that your pretend 2g nano doesn't work anymore for somereason and that your pretended parents got a warranty and then you pretend that you would like to use the warranty for a replacement nano.

pretend though that the pretend best buy might still have some pretend 2nd gen nanos in stock and youd get stuck with another 2nd gen nano.

Alex
Would a magnet really mess up something that's flash-based?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post

Alex
Pretend a magnet will actually do anything to flash memory

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2007, 10:34 PM

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2007, 10:35 PM

let's say they do cover it, what will they do? fix the tv? replace it?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2007, 10:40 PM

sorry macfantn for derailing your thread slightly.

anyways,
Product Replacement Plans
BestBuy.com Help: <Category Name>

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 8, 2007, 10:44 PM

They'll replace it. The reason for that is the same reason why BB's extended warranty return policy is pretty much no questions asked;

They are not authorized by any electronics manufacturer to service anything. The only items they will attempt to service are desktop computers that you purchased a plan for.

Other than that; You bring it in, saying it's broke. They give you a new one and send the old one in to be remanufactured.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2007, 10:49 PM

well i have a 42" rear projection those aren't made anymore, will they replace it with a 42" LCD, also I am not sure how I am going to bring it in as I drive a civic, I suppose I can borrow a truck from a friend.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 8, 2007, 10:51 PM

They'll replace it with something of comparable value to what you paid originally. Usually they'll offer you a few models to choose from.

Hence the stories of warranty abuse you hear from people who are on their 4th straight high-end video card from Best Buy, having only paid for the first one.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2007, 11:14 PM

wow this great news, I can't wait to call them tomorrow. I'd love a 42" dlp or lcd

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2007, 10:24 AM

#$%^ just called bb the warranty doesn't cover burn in, lame. any other ideas how to replace my tv?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2007, 10:27 AM

That's crappy. Does it cover accidental damage?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

AngelaBaby
Oct 9, 2007, 10:37 AM

As long as you didn't cause the damage then Best Buy will cover it.

When I dropped my old sony walkman that took those discs I told them that and they told me I voided the warranty.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2007, 10:43 AM

Well, burn-in isn't really breaking. It's kinda designed into the system.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2007, 01:19 PM

so basically my tv is designed to have the picture degrade over time? I can't just damage the tv and expect them to fix it though. I wish they would just warranty it, i'd be happy just to have it fixed, they won't even do that.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2007, 01:19 PM

Plasma fades substantially over time anyway, right?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2007, 01:31 PM

I can see burn in being slotted as wear and tear which isn't necessarily a defect. Of course paying so much money for the tv only to experience the burn in, I'd continue to argue the point and raise to the next level. Also read the fine print to the warranty to make sure they're not giving you a line.

kikkoman
Senior User
Oct 9, 2007, 01:58 PM

The burn in could have been avoided with proper calibration and/or use of stretch modes. I have a three year old plasma which have a reputation for burn in but it looks as good as the day I got it. I watch everything in original aspect ratio but no sign of burn in so far.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2007, 04:10 PM

This is why, when you buy an extended warranty or service contract, you get in writing specifically what it covers. If they can't provide that, you don't buy it.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Plasma fades substantially over time anyway, right?
Ya but the new ones are at like 60,000 hours which is prob longer than you will ever own the set. No details on at what point is starts to get dimmer though.

kikkoman
Senior User
Oct 9, 2007, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Ya but the new ones are at like 60,000 hours which is prob longer than you will ever own the set. No details on at what point is starts to get dimmer though.
It's actually 60,000 hours until half maximum brightness, probably longer if properly calibrated. Panasonic's new panels have a 100,000 hour half life.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2007, 11:29 PM

i'm buying lcd next time, no burn in woo hoo

Forum Links
Forum Rules