Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Open source email marketer?

Open source email marketer?
skalie
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 09:50 AM

I looking for one that can be web based, preferably php, and hopefully easy to use / configure.

TIA

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2006, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by skalie
I looking for one that can be web based, preferably php, and hopefully easy to use / configure.

TIA

Create a MySQL database of email addresses, design a page/email template, go... Or, setup Mailman (which is Open Source).

What do you need this software for?

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 08:41 PM

I'd love a link for "Mailman". A Google search (mailman "open source" email) spews forth a bunch of dead links + the forum www.openh323.org -- where a search for "mailman" yields NO results.

It's probably too obvious. (tho neither mailman.com nor mailman.net exist).

Please tell us more! Is this something like php/mysql-based or does it require higher-level access to the hosting server?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Love Calm Quiet
I'd love a link for "Mailman". A Google search (mailman "open source" email) spews forth a bunch of dead links + the forum www.openh323.org -- where a search for "mailman" yields NO results.

It's probably too obvious. (tho neither mailman.com nor mailman.net exist).

Please tell us more! Is this something like php/mysql-based or does it require higher-level access to the hosting server?

First link that comes up in a Google search for Mailman:

http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/

Mailman doesn't require MySQL, but I believe it does require admin access to be able to create new lists. Maintenance of lists is handled entirely through a web-based interface. Tons of mailing lists are run off of Mailman.

You can install Mailman automatically through DarwinPorts, or via most other software like DP.

Does this help?

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 08:52 PM

Mailman requires a knowledge of Unix to set up, I believe, which I don't have personally. Simply throwing mailman into google gets you there.

What do you need this software for?
Want to send out some emails inviting people to seminars, keep track of what's what basically.

Found one solution in Easy Email Sender (nice name), which does almost all that I need, but I would like a web based solution, so I don't have to do all the work myself.

The purchasable versions I've had a look at have "bells and whistles" like statistics of responses, ability to choose templates, yadda, yadda....

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2006, 09:29 PM

Mailman requires a knowledge of Unix to set up, I believe, which I don't have personally. Simply throwing mailman into google gets you there.

Want to send out some emails inviting people to seminars, keep track of what's what basically.

Found one solution in Easy Email Sender (nice name), which does almost all that I need, but I would like a web based solution, so I don't have to do all the work myself.

The purchasable versions I've had a look at have "bells and whistles" like statistics of responses, ability to choose templates, yadda, yadda....

Do you need something to help more with the design of the emails, or with the storage of email addresses?

The OS X Address Book will allow you to save groups of contacts (and Mail can send mail to these groups), and Safari and any page editor will allow you to generate HTML emails. Do you need more than this?

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Do you need something to help more with the design of the emails, or with the storage of email addresses?

The OS X Address Book will allow you to save groups of contacts (and Mail can send mail to these groups), and Safari and any page editor will allow you to generate HTML emails. Do you need more than this?
Er, yes. I need it to be able to be managed by a complete and utter idiot.

........ as in, I can make make the html templates etc, but someone else adds the content.

The mailing list can come from anywhere, mysql, text file, but it would be nice if there were statistics available as to who had responded, unsubscribed etc.

I guess dealing with issues like MIME types is also necessary.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2006, 09:45 PM

Er, yes. I need it to be able to be managed by a complete and utter idiot.

........ as in, I can make make the html templates etc, but someone else adds the content.
I'd suggest designing your page template, using a stylesheet to format your text, and document instructions for plugging in the content. Alternatively, you could use a web-based editor like WordPress or purchase Macromedia Contribute to handle the content creation (I don't recommend the latter, although the former requires a little know-how to setup).

The mailing list can come from anywhere, mysql, text file, but it would be nice if there were statistics available as to who had responded, unsubscribed etc.

I guess dealing with issues like MIME types is also necessary.

If you want to provide people with the means to opt out and all that, you probably should look at something like Mailman.

I'm happy to help.

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 09:55 PM

....... I've looked at mailman before, but I believe it needs a Linux server, and access to the command line. ( forgive me if I use the wrong terminology, I'm not familiar with Unix commando's or whatever they are called )

When I look at the barebones of what I need it is really......... ability to send off bulk emails from a list of, and to be able to integrate a template, and web based.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2006, 10:13 PM

....... I've looked at mailman before, but I believe it needs a Linux server, and access to the command line. ( forgive me if I use the wrong terminology, I'm not familiar with Unix commando's or whatever they are called )

When I look at the barebones of what I need it is really......... ability to send off bulk emails from a list of, and to be able to integrate a template, and web based.

It does need some sort of server, but any sort of email list administration will require access to a server.

There are probably several hosts that will provide you with access to Mailman. I offer this service on my own server. My hosting rates are $10/month.

I also offer access to WordPress, which is software that can be used to generate pages based on a template using a very simple text editor.

Sorry, I really don't know of any free solutions that will offer you what you want. The bottleneck here is the email list administration, this really does involve a server if you want to allow people to unsubscribe themselves, automatically deal with email address bounces, etc.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2006, 09:39 PM

If you don't have server access to setup actual mailing lists, what about using a mailing list service like Yahoo Groups or Google Groups?

There are also a number of PHP mailing list scripts that will work fine for small lists:

http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Script...ers/index.html
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Forum Links
Forum Rules