Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone Memory Leakage - Major Concern -

iPhone Memory Leakage - Major Concern -
ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2007, 05:18 PM

I'm hopefull Apple will adderss this in the first software update.

I decided to play a little game with the usage statistics in the Settings app and see if I could get to 100 hours of usage between full charges for both USAGE and Standby. In order to get my stats up I have to NOT reboot the iPhone (by holding down the home and top buttons until the phone reboots, doing so resets the stats). Well I reached 6 days and 6 hours worth of Standby hours and only 2 Days and 8 hours of Usage hours before I noticed that there MUST be some kind of system wide memory leakage on the iPhone that causes apps to become more and more unstable as time goes on. Just about near the end any and all apps would quit after being open only for a few minutes (or towards the end mere seconds). I was reluctant to reboot cause I didn't want to lose my stats. Fortunately for me I discovered that running the battery down completely also causes the phone to shut down but it preserves the usage stats. Once plugged in the phone comes back to life with the memory leak gone.

Other effects of this memory leak are the touch screen becoming less and less responsive, which is fixed again by a reboot or running the battery down completely.

For anyone who's wondering a simple reboot does not erase any of your data.

This is something Apple ABSOLUTELY has to fix. I originally rated this a moderate concern because knowledgeable people know how to get around it but thats exactly the problem. Regular users shouldn't have to either KNOW how to do this or to have to DO this in the first place.

Has anyone else noticed this issue?
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

kman42
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 05:33 PM

I've been running my iPhone for days without a reset (I've never reset it or turned it off) and I've never completely discharged the battery.

m2creative
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2007, 05:48 PM

Sucks! Well im on my 2nd iphone, thank God the first one gave me crap before the 14 day return cut off. i returned it because the sliding part to accept phone calls was not reading my clean fingers and I would miss calls. Major headache. Then the second one i got keeps freezing on me. And NO, I do not run with it, or harm it, or have dropped it or anything. Its like the second generation is going to be really the first and this version is just an expensive Guinea Pig $600 dollar experiment.

and i reset both on a regualr basis. The new one still sticks and i had to reboot it by holding the top only down then it was fine. but why am i rebooting anything that is so new!!
( Last edited by m2creative; Jul 12, 2007 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Additions)

ndptal85  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2007, 05:48 PM

And your apps are completely stable? Click on Settings > Usage and tell me how many days you have for both Usage and Standby if you don't mind.

Thanks
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

ndptal85  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by m2creative View Post
Sucks! Well im on my 2nd iphone, thank God the first one gave me crap before the 14 day return cut off. i returned it because the sliding part to accept phone calls was not reading my clean fingers and I would miss calls. Major headache. Then the second one i got keeps freezing on me. And NO, I do not run with it, or harm it, or have dropped it or anything. Its like the second generation is going to be really the first and this version is just an expensive Guinea Pig $600 dollar experiment.
I had the same issue with the slider being VERY unresponsive until the phone is rebooted. I think its related to the memory leak.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 05:54 PM

Well, I have fully charged my phone on several occasions and those statistics are reset when the phone is fully charged.

ndptal85  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2007, 06:20 PM

Good point kman. I bought mine on launch day June 29th. When did you buy yours?

kman42
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 07:41 PM

First in line at my local Apple store on the 29th

My father's phone had to be reset several times/day. He returned it and his current one works great. My mom's also works without a hitch. I'm guessing they have shut it off a few times, but I don't know for sure.

kman

Forum Links
Forum Rules