Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 5)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2011, 11:34 AM

I finally built a boat and went for the hills across the sea. I should've accessed this area long ago. It seems like there are better resources, and definitely better terrain for creative uses. I found a few tall trees and tinkered with the idea of building a tree house, but it seems like spiders would become a problem unless I glassed it all in, and it goes against the aesthetic plans I had made.

I'm leaving for Aruba on Monday for a week-long vacation (first "real" vacation since I've been married). Nothing but snorkeling, reading, relaxing, and Minecrafting (only at night) for 6 days. Being away from PSN and XBL for this long would've been a pain a month ago, but now that Minecraft has grabbed hold of my life...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 7, 2011, 11:39 AM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 7, 2011, 11:42 AM

The longer I play this game the more I wish I had some graph paper lying around to sketch out ideas and concepts.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Whaaaaaaaaat? I didn't know this happened...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 7, 2011, 12:20 PM

Not yet. Due for 1.5

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 7, 2011, 02:05 PM

AlrightJB, I just discovered the ultimate Enterprise Minecraft.

Enterprise Diaries: Part 3 - Minecraft Forums

Kinda impressive, right?

More impressive, right?

BAM!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2011, 02:37 PM

Ho...ly...crap...

3 million blocks. Even with it being "faked," it's still freaking impressive to see.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 7, 2011, 02:39 PM

Faked?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2011, 02:40 PM

Assisted by computer, not put together individually block by block in-game.

Right?

[EDIT] I'm reading Part 1, and I see the blueprints he's using to assist him, but he doesn't seem to specifically say how he's placing these blocks.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 7, 2011, 02:43 PM

At worst he's put it together in an editor, which would still be block by block.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2011, 02:52 PM

Regardless of how he's doing it -- incredible.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2011, 03:36 PM

That's really impressive. How deep is it? What method did you use to build it?
Only one block of water covers the ceiling, track base is 6 blocks down. I would have gone deeper, but working underwater is a massive pain in the ass. Scuba gear FTW. I'm thinking a mixture of charcoal, redstone, and iron would be a good crafting recipe, in fact, redstone needs to be used more since right now, for me, it is entirely useless past the first compass.

I used gravel, and starting making two 'walls' with three blocks of water in between. Had them go from sea level to the bottom (which was 12 blocks deep in some places) Then I dove down to the aforementioned 6 blocks deep and formed the track bed, then attached the one block higher cobblestone to the gravel sides. Filled the new trench with gravel, excavated the gravel center (leaving the outer walls, placed the glass block, and shoveled away the outer walls.

Even using almost all the gravel I've got since day one only got me 1/3 of the way, so I had to build in stages, which presented its own challenges.

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Scuba gear, yes, and underwater lighting. Hmm. Can you put a torch inside glass?

Do those damn skeleton archers know how to open doors?
Glowstone blocks will shine underwater, but torches do not stick to glass. You'd have to incorporate another material in your underwater 'lanterns'....which is actually a really cool idea I wish I thought about for my underwater track...

Skeletons can shoot through doors from the 'inside'. That means if you want a safe room, place the door from the outside (unless you already knew that). Otherwise if you are getting bonesy in a place you though was safe, perhaps the interior space is considered large enough for enemies to spawn.

hart
Senior User
Apr 7, 2011, 03:43 PM

You can put doors underwater and use them as an airlock. The door's block will have air. It's not scuba gear but it can help when you're building at the bottom of the ocean.

penultimatey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2011, 03:59 PM

How did you get this picture?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 7, 2011, 04:00 PM

Minecraft forums.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 7, 2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Only one block of water covers the ceiling, track base is 6 blocks down. I would have gone deeper, but working underwater is a massive pain in the ass.
Not ultimately awesome, but still great nonetheless.

Scuba gear FTW. I'm thinking a mixture of charcoal, redstone, and iron would be a good crafting recipe, in fact, redstone needs to be used more since right now, for me, it is entirely useless past the first compass.
Gotta make it out of gold. Scuba would mega useful and gold is mega-not.

Originally Posted by hart View Post
You can put doors underwater and use them as an airlock. The door's block will have air. It's not scuba gear but it can help when you're building at the bottom of the ocean.
This could prove to be useful. Sugar Cane reeds work as well.

andi*pandi
Apr 7, 2011, 04:26 PM

Otherwise if you are getting bonesy in a place you though was safe, perhaps the interior space is considered large enough for enemies to spawn.
The door is placed on the outside, but he's definitely inside. Either he's following me in as I run in at sunset, or he's found a place to spawn. I thought it was a darkness issue, so I threw more lights up, but yes, the inside of my mountain is pretty big. It's a hollow shell.

I'm going to try a pressure plate for the door, although I thought I needed some kind of current to run one.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2011, 04:35 PM

If we ever meet in Blaze's server, I've got a pile of Redstone I'd happily give you.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2011, 05:06 PM

The pressure plate generate s the current when depressed. If it placed right next to the door then no redstone is needed, if you put one only on the inside it will auto close the door for you when you come in, if you put it on the outside the creepers can wander in if they time it right.

doors, signs, ladders, pressure plates. I haven't tried but suspect switches, painting, buttons, track. Half blocks do too but they obviously would prevent you from passing a 2 tall opening. I'd test paintings and use those if they work because they come down with 1 hit, unlike door which take forever to bash down.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Apr 7, 2011 at 05:20 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2011, 10:22 PM

Signed into the server for a while, rummaged through your chests (don't worry I only snagged two torches) and started building an island retreat in the area past your elevated tramway. Nothing more than a walled-in pit with a door at this point.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2011, 10:50 PM

There's a large island/continent to the north that has lots of interesting terrain. I logged in around 7:30 and the paintings on the 3rd floor were missing, turned out it was a glitch and not a humorous cat burglar. As you can see I have allot of torches. Did you spawn on the platform the first time?

I have to reposition the grinder on the mob trap, there's another cavern I can hear and between that and the island my castle is on the mobs stop spawning in the trap after a while. I'll try to get more pictures up. But I'm dealing with a chest cold I hope doesn't turn to pneumonia.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2011, 12:29 AM

I spawned near it, but underwater.

When I opened up one of your double-chests and saw it was filled with torches, I figured you wouldn't miss a couple.

Remember when you said just wait for a creeper to come zooming in on a minecart? Yeah, that happened today and nearly gave me a heart attack.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2011, 11:03 AM

I spawned near it, but underwater.

Remember when you said just wait for a creeper to come zooming in on a minecart? Yeah, that happened today and nearly gave me a heart attack.
This place is not for the weak of heart, apparently.

Signed into the server for a while, rummaged through your chests (don't worry I only snagged two torches) and started building an island retreat in the area past your elevated tramway. Nothing more than a walled-in pit with a door at this point.
We need to build a frat house.

I suppose I should sign on this weekend and stumble round. Made some decent progress and my now not-so-aptly named Fortress and I have to figure out how to make it live up to its name better.

hart
Senior User
Apr 8, 2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
doors, signs, ladders, pressure plates. I haven't tried but suspect switches, painting, buttons, track. Half blocks do too but they obviously would prevent you from passing a 2 tall opening. I'd test paintings and use those if they work because they come down with 1 hit, unlike door which take forever to bash down.
I have to try some of these. The trick is to get the least expensive item in terms of resources. And the lowest number of hits to destroy and move as you point out.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2011, 11:33 AM

So your saying this weekend I should build a motel near the spawn? I'll widen the platform some and see if that helps. I'll have to destroy my bed and test the spawn with the /kill command.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2011, 11:44 AM

I'll try to remember to post in here if I log on.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2011, 06:18 PM

Just logged onto the server. Can't access my free compass and treasure chest. I think it's because it's one of thos April fools treasure chests.

Cowering in a windowless wood home with a wood sword right now.

Edit: I'm guessing mobs aren't on, but I wouldn't have been able to do a damn thing in the dark anyway.
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Apr 8, 2011 at 06:26 PM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2011, 06:34 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2011, 06:36 PM

Blaze was this an Alpha map?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2011, 06:43 PM

I'm on a boat mother****er!

In the middle of the ocean.

In the dark.

Bored.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2011, 06:45 PM

Jesus, your towers need torches. I was actually not to far away and didn't know it. And the boating is laggy as ****.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2011, 12:44 PM

I ran into him last night after I got home from work.

They are lit up, in multiplayer for some reason the view distance is horribly compressed. So when your boating around your loading chunks faster than it thinks it will need them. It needs to be more aggressive about that. It on my local machine and it still shows holes in the world till you get close. There's a motel now near the spawn.

And getting out of a boat is a PITA now.

Blaze was this an Alpha map?
No I made it with 1.3_1.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2011, 04:18 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2011, 04:28 PM

Question:

Do you guys think there's any chance of the final release improving performance? My MBP isn't a powerhouse exactly, but shouldn't a 2.53 i5, 4 GB RAM, and GeForce GT 330M set-up be adequate to run a game that looks 20 years old at optimal performance? I think remember someone in this thread mentioning that Java was the culprit. It just kills me that it doesn't run well, and I'm guessing the weather effects are going to make it worse.

I've been tinkering with the idea of building an editing powerhouse (that will also be a decent gaming rig), but keep on delaying to save for other things. Having Minecraft around actually ups the chances of it happening.

[EDIT] Also, I'd love to use the cel-shading mods.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Apr 9, 2011 at 04:34 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 9, 2011, 05:00 PM

And getting out of a boat is a PITA now.
You get that too? That sucks.

No I made it with 1.3_1.
Well, it's a very impressive map. I had read a discussion that some people felt the Alpha rendered more interesting maps. Mine certainly isn't very impressive.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Already watched it last night. Let's hope lightning can't set wooden structures on fire.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Question:

Do you guys think there's any chance of the final release improving performance? My MBP isn't a powerhouse exactly, but shouldn't a 2.53 i5, 4 GB RAM, and GeForce GT 330M set-up be adequate to run a game that looks 20 years old at optimal performance? I think remember someone in this thread mentioning that Java was the culprit. It just kills me that it doesn't run well, and I'm guessing the weather effects are going to make it worse.
Java hammers my Memory too.

From what I've read, it's unlikely. Both the programmers and community seem focused on features. Considering Notch recently remarked that Minecraft had brought in $33 million, it'd be nice if they hired a dedicated position to streamline this shit.

I'm really curious as to how the iPad port will fare. And if any of the tricks they use to optimize it can be ported to the desktop.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2011, 05:11 PM

Well, it's a very impressive map. I had read a discussion that some people felt the Alpha rendered more interesting maps. Mine certainly isn't very impressive.
The really impressive terrain is to the north of the spawn, theres a large continent with some seriously craggy mountain, even a lava fall.

Sorry thats just me coughing up my lung.

andi*pandi
Apr 9, 2011, 10:34 PM

I thought it was just me wih the non-snappy. I've got tech tool optimizing my g5, but I'm not sure it will help. More ram is next, I've been meaning to install it for ages!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2011, 02:49 PM

Okay photo time,

Got the spawn constructed.

Here's the business end. Unfortunately it not to forgiving with cows.

Why because above it I built this. Getting grass down there took 3 days AFK letting it spread.

Theres a separator built in. It needs refinement at the moment because it lets pigs and chickens in.

When what we're really after is:

8 so far, about every other night a few appear. So come on down to the local ASPCA and adopt one now!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2011, 02:51 PM

BTW DakarZero, there's a cow in your hut near the spawn. His head is sticking though the door.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 10, 2011, 07:25 PM

Well, I logged on, got an idea and went to work. And kept working. Worked so long I had to force myself off the server.

I picked an island with sheer cliffs to build my house on realized they might make a good home on the inside. So I started hollowing them out. I hope they can be seen from sek's island of solitude.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2011, 07:36 PM

This game is heavy in OpenGL. A good graphics card helps allot.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 10, 2011, 11:29 PM

I've also read that it doesn't run in 64 bit, FWIW.

Some pics before I go to bed.

When I first visited Blaze's castle I considered ending it all.

There's the magical house spawning cow.

The view of my cliff embedded lair from the sea at night. Kinda purdy.

Millen
Banned
Apr 11, 2011, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by hart View Post
Following is a few screen shots of my rather rudimentary base in the Nether and the pyramid which contains my portal.

Night view of my Pyramid of the Pestilent Portal:

interior of PPP:

my "elegant" nether base (note the safety gazebo covering the portal):

why it's so hard to have an elegant Nether base or take screen shots of it without serious personal injury:

What is that red material?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2011, 07:48 AM

Netherrack, the dirt that never stops burning.

Millen
Banned
Apr 11, 2011, 05:14 PM

ohh cool... is it from the new update?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2011, 06:52 PM

Got bored with what I was doing in my single game, so I took off on a boat in search of a new climate. Found a really awesome desert area, with a nice high cliff and perched myself at the top. House is by no means finished, and I plan on eating away the sand on all sides until whatever stone/sandstone left will be it's support. Entrance is more or less at sea level and has a spiral staircase winding up a shaft in the middle of the cliff into my house.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 11, 2011, 07:13 PM

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2011, 07:43 PM

A mobile oppression palace, now that's an idea.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 12, 2011, 07:36 AM

Hadven't logged on in over a week with work getting in the way, really need to put some time in, i feel like i'm being left in the wake of awesome construction.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 12, 2011, 10:43 AM

I was on briefly last night. Decided to make my lair more epic. Added a story and trying to add a lit glass tower to the top. After that I'll create sub-basement 2. I think at some point I'd like to connect to sek's mines, and perhaps add an underwater walkway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules