Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > [WorldCommunityGrid]Who Creates Teams?

[WorldCommunityGrid]Who Creates Teams?
virex
Nov 16, 2004, 08:59 PM

we need a team MacNN at http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
this one could be big....we should be there. It's pc only right now, so Team MacNN would be an odd addition, but i'm sure it'll open up eventually....
( Last edited by virex; Nov 16, 2004 at 09:11 PM. )

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2004, 10:07 PM

Might be big, but no Mac Client and no projects that aren't already being done. Their prior Smallpox project was along the lines D2OL, but they at least reported some results. They look a lot like a rehash of United Devices.

Their current project seems to be a protein folding project, like Folding@home. Folding@Home is better established though, and provides comprenhensive Mac support NOW, including Altivec and G5. If your interested in their current project, then get involved with Folding@Home, where we already have an effective established team.

There are a lot of projects coming on line, but if they don't have Mac support, it really doesn't benefit us to do anything more then keep an eye on them. BOINC based projects will probably be far more flexible and popular in the long run, then the world community grid as it is setup, since BOINC allows project autonomy running on a common platform. (BOINC is maturing, even though slowly)

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2004, 12:01 PM

For clarification, worldcommunitygrid.org is a component of grid.org, that is sponsored by IBM for non-profit projects. There is no Mac client, nor is one planned any time soon. The grid.org network belongs to United Devices. They have a beta Mac/Linux client for their "Enterprise" product, but not for grid.org. Per a press release, Jeff from United Devices posted the following on the grid.org forums.
That press release unfortunately relates only to the upcoming version 4.2 of our enterprise product (while grid.org uses an older version 3.x version). Although we plan to someday be able to migrate grid.org to the 4.x series of our product, there are still a number of Internet-specific features that have to be updated for the 4.x version first (agent graphics, teams, member web, etc). No timelines are available for any such migration.
WorldCommunitygrid.org, is currently and for the forseable future, a Windows only project. It does not support Linux either. Any attempt to establish a team there would probably only take away from the resources we have on other worthwhile projects.

That is my two cents worth. I am not a team leader, just a member, but as many know, if there is a new worthwhile project, I will probably be one of the first to jump on board. Nothing about worldcommunitygrid.org currently entices me. It is a fine project, just not Mac Friendly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules