Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Whats going on

Whats going on
stupidcat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2004, 10:52 AM

Hello
I'm new to this Boinc stuff, and Terminal too. Thought I got away from the typing in stuff about 15yrs ago. Anyway, I had a been running Seti classic for a couple years, and was able to see the output of my efforts. Not so with Boinc. Have no idea if anything is going on. I think something, cause I put words at bottom of terminal window to see what happens. Sometimes more data is added below. I joined Team MacNN to get help in my efforts. I tried using the Seti Control GUI, but never saw any results. So as my subject says, whats going on. Oh I did figure out how to restart the Boinc after I shutdown my computer. How do I tell SETI that I am a member of Team MacNN so they get credit for any programs I get done? I have a G3, just 1 processor, only 466mhz. Any help with some of my comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Jake
Jake

virex
Nov 24, 2004, 11:35 AM

go here

it should ask you for you're account id, get that from the email they sent you, in there you can change you're settings and see results, and join MacNN! but if you upgraded from seti classic it should remember that you are for macnn......

stupidcat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2004, 12:04 PM

Hi
When you say 'they' for email sent, do you mean MacNN or SETI. I have account ID's coming out my ears. I found a URL for the team NN, ends in 113432. Do I put that on end of my project URL in my terminal window? I went to the SETI site and they just said find or form a team. more specific directions would help.

Jake
Jake

Chris Norrick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2004, 01:06 PM

You need this URL: Join Team MacNN

virex
Nov 24, 2004, 01:10 PM

ok....the email you got from Seti, should have an account id...it's loooong.

once logged in you can click on something like 'join team' and search for Team MacNN and join that.

TBLatWork on aim if you want step by step directions

Chris Norrick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2004, 01:16 PM

And if you follow the directions for Seti Control it will give you a GUI status of your WU, start/stop, log file, plus more options like run benchmarks and estimated CPU time remaining for each processor. It works great for me. You just have to be sure Seti Control knows where your BOINC client is and keep it updated if you upgrade your BOINC client.

Seti Control usually gets updated (with an updated default path to the new BOINC client) if BOINC gets updated, which thankfully hasn't been too often lately!

stupidcat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2004, 02:35 PM

Let me clarify a couple items.
a. I downloaded and started Boinc program last week. It is/was apparantly running and doing something. Read about joining team at seti site
b. I joined/became member of Team MacNN a couple days after started running Boinc.
c. I currently have Boinc program running in terminal window, and my CPU indicator(3rd pty) shows something is going on, computer is not at idle.
d. I downloaded and tried Seti Control a couple days ago. The page displayed is too large for my screen, except at highest resolution. Then I can find and use all buttons. I trashed it , but got another copy today. When I start Boinc from the Seti Control, it runs for about 30 sec., them stops.
e. The Boinc program went into my home folder, and started adding more files as it ran. I have now created a folder in Appl. per instructions of Seti Control, and moved all files into that folder.
The Seti Control does not show anything happening, and if it stops all the time, or says it stops, nothing will show as getting done.
So to the head cheese, if I am a member of Team MacNN, is the team supposed to get credit for my accomplishment with Boinc, and if so, is it done automatically when I joined, or am I supposed to enter some ID number somewhere to give credit?

end of message
Jake

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 05:27 PM

Here is a step by step.
First off, I wouldn't mess with SETI Control yet. Like most things BOINC the code is not quite mature. Besides, they are working now on a new GUI interface for all platforms that will probably work better.

Go to: http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/
Click on: Your Account

If not logged in, then go ahead and log in with key that SETI sent you. It is the same one you used for the BOINC program.

Once logged in, scroll down the page to "Account Statistics". Right below "Pending Credits" you will see "Team".

If next to "Team" it says "Team MacNN" then you are already joined, and there is nothing more you need to do.

If it says "No Team" then next to that is a link that says Join a team or something like that, and by clicking on that link, you can select "Team MacNN". If it presents a search box, type Team MacNN exactly as I have. You should now find a link to click to join the team. Click the link. That is all there is to it.

Now, as to credit.... under Account Statistics
Total credit shows all credit you have earned running BOINC. It takes a few days before anything shows there sometimes.
Recent Average Credit is a calculated credit based upon average daily credit earned. Don't worry about that yet. It takes a month for that to stabilize usually.

Pending credit: When completed work is first returned, the credit goes pending. To prevent cheating, you work must be validated by at least one other computer. That means at least one other computer must return the same result. It will depend on the other computers it was sent to, but figure it can take a few days sometimes for validation. Unfortunately, the pending credit feature is turned off, due to server load issues, so you can't currently look at pending credit. One of these days they should eventually turn that back on.

In your terminal log window, look for something that reads:
2004-11-24 12:34:28 [SETI@Home] Computation for result xxxxxxxxxx finished
2004-11-24 12:34:28 [SETI@Home] Started upload of xxxxxxxxxxxx
This will indicate that work has been returned. On my iBook 600 it will take from 14-16 hours to complete one work unit.

Hope that helps.

stupidcat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2004, 06:05 PM

Shakai
Thank you for the info. I went to the seti site, checked the team status, and got myself joined onto the team. Also checked the terminal, saw what you described, so am satisfied with the answer. Good directions for a newbe. Will hold off on using Seti Control till they get it right.

Thanks again
Jake

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by stupidcat:
Shakai
Thank you for the info. I went to the seti site, checked the team status, and got myself joined onto the team. Also checked the terminal, saw what you described, so am satisfied with the answer. Good directions for a newbe. Will hold off on using Seti Control till they get it right.

Thanks again
You're welcome. Once "real life" slows down a little for Reader50, our stats guru, hopefully he will be able to get the SETI BOINC stats working. Then it will be very easy to track your contribution in detail. Unfortunately, "real life" work must take first priority.

And welcome to the team.

Forum Links
Forum Rules