Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ok, need forum help

Ok, need forum help
newbieMacUser2006
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2006, 03:04 AM

I need to ask a question that I can not find a forum for. Would appreciate some guidance as to where I could have put this.

it has to do with the menu bar..and using it to cut and paste text. It is a little bit cumbersome to do this. I'm used to right clicking. Is there a way to do this on a trackpad with a bar? Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

editing to say...It looks as if I could have put this in the MacOS forum? could this be moved? Thanks
( Last edited by newbieMacUser2006; Nov 28, 2006 at 03:15 AM. Reason: clarification)

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 28, 2006, 03:15 AM

Hold down the control button and click. Better still, google and learn all of the keyboard shortcuts, very uesful, quick and easy.

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2006, 04:12 AM

You can also right click by tapping two fingers on your trackpad at the same time. But, even quicker than right clicking, is learning the keyboard shortcuts:

Apple + C = Copy
Apple + V = Paste
Apple + X = Cut

For a really in-depth look at all of the default Apple keyboard shortcuts, take a look here: Mac OS X: Keyboard Shortcuts
 Certified AppleCare Technician

samsontan
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2006, 04:57 AM

other than that there's also the "two-finger on trackpad click" to give the right-click menu.

In which, you can customize in system pref>keyboard & mouse>trackpad menu> then check the box with place 2 fingers on trackpad.. etc

Instructions:
Place 2 fingers on the trackpad and click.. voilà!

muaddib420
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2006, 01:52 PM

i found the twofinger click to be way too cumbersome to use.

i downloaded and later purchased this program called sidetrack. it's a replacement trackpad driver that's more powerful than the one that comes with the macbook. it allows you to assign the side of the trackpad as a slider, to scroll down webpages. you can also assign corners as pretty much anything. mine is assigned to control-click, so when i tap my upper right corner once, it brings up the "right button" menu.

Raging Menace - SideTrack

free to try.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 28, 2006, 08:28 PM

I use an external two-button mouse with my MBP most of the time just because I'm so conditioned to right-click. But both the Control-Click and the shortcuts stefanicotine posted work great.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

samsontan
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2006, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by muaddib420 View Post
i found the twofinger click to be way too cumbersome to use.

i downloaded and later purchased this program called sidetrack. it's a replacement trackpad driver that's more powerful than the one that comes with the macbook. it allows you to assign the side of the trackpad as a slider, to scroll down webpages. you can also assign corners as pretty much anything. mine is assigned to control-click, so when i tap my upper right corner once, it brings up the "right button" menu.

Raging Menace - SideTrack

free to try.
is it safe? no bugs for OS?
think it's kinda weird(hard to avoid mistakes) cuz you won't be looking at the trackpad while you're trying to do all those on such a small trackpad

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2006, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by samsontan View Post
is it safe? no bugs for OS?
think it's kinda weird(hard to avoid mistakes) cuz you won't be looking at the trackpad while you're trying to do all those on such a small trackpad
MacBooks have the biggest trackpad I've ever seen. If you set it all up for corner shortcuts and whatnot you might find it really isn't that bad. My brother's Dell is like that and you get used to it very quickly.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

peterauch21
Nov 30, 2006, 02:05 PM

I have a tiny external usb mouse that I generally use. I'm going to check out that sidetrack driver though.. seems pretty cool. that would help a lot when I dont have any desire to get out my mouse.

Forum Links
Forum Rules