Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Roll call time!

Roll call time!
Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 27, 2008, 11:04 PM

I want to see who is around in preparation for a recruiting run to stop our decline in folding and build up our other teams.
Post who you are, what you are up to, and whatever else you want to post.

---------------

I'm Scott, I crunch many things on several computers, and I've been around this team for a little over 7 years.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 28, 2008, 03:52 PM

reader50, troublemaker.

G5 Quad, PM G4 1.25, Linuxbox 2 GHz Athlon.

Quad will be crunching something when temperatures drop. The G4 is a guest/backup computer normally off, and a cruncher can't be run on the teamstats server. Projects can be a WU of most anything, but sustained crunching most often happens on Folding or Einstein.

Considering how much higher the crunching in on PS3 / GPU clients, we might want to do some recruiting in the Games forum. Those guys & gals can't possibly be playing WoW 24/7.

Gareth Johnston
Aug 28, 2008, 05:49 PM

Gareth Johnston,

Just seti at the moment although am looking into other projects, no longer full tie crunching due to energy costs, although would like to go back one day.
Mac Pro 2.8GHz x 8, 10GB, 320HDD etc.........
Saving for 32 core Mac Pro. Only £1376.93 to go.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2008, 07:46 PM

David Robinson

Been with the team, around a lot of years now (at least 6 I think), though I crunched the original SETI back in 1999 and was an early BOINC beta tester. Used to have about 8 computers crunching but now down to just 1 Mac Mini dual 1.66 for the time being. Had to shut it down do to the hot summer but hope to get it going again as the weather cools. Still hoping to add another new Mac before the end of the year. Been on a bunch of different projects but when I fire it up again will probably crunch either Einstein or Rosetta. Would probably put some power on folding, if I had any to spare.

Update: Weather has cooled down now, so fired the mini back-up on Rosetta.
( Last edited by Shaktai; Sep 8, 2008 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Update)

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2008, 12:30 PM

Did Rosetta ever get an optimized client? I tried it a couple of years ago, but it gave out less than half the credit I could get on SETI...

beadman

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2008, 03:23 PM

I'm around and crunching on yoyo at the moment. I'm going to be going till OGR is finished sometime next month. There is a race that started today at yoyo to see how soon the project can be finished. After that I'm thinking of going to ABC as that project is at 60.6%. I want to push it toward the end a little faster. Once that wraps up I will probably go back to working on WCG but that could change.

I don't think Rosetta has ever optimized the client or started giving decent credit.

Billy
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2008, 12:29 PM

I'm Bill. I have one Intel iMac. I run 24/7 unless it gets too hot in the house. I run Seti 30%, climate prediction 30%, Einstein 15% and Milkyway 15%, plus I run Ralph, rosetta, docking, geneticlife, malaria control, and World Community Grid occasionally. At the end of the month, I run only simap for a week or so.

I stopped running folding as it seemed that it was only efficient on a Core 2 Duo machine or a graphics card. It seems that the recent changes to credits on Boinc projects has made them more equal for me on the Intel iMac. Seti is way down as is Einstein. Simap and Rosetta are up. I use an optimized application on Seti and Milkyway.

TiloProbst
Sep 4, 2008, 01:29 PM

I stopped SETI for a while ... how would I disconnect my computer from the current user and join a Team MacNN?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2008, 02:00 AM

2 PS3s
1 C2D Mini
1 G4 Mini

Looking desperately for an excuse to grab a new machine...

Ummm... Ahhh... We do need a flat panel in the guest bedroom, right? We don't? So... Ahhh... let's just get a 3GHz iMac and call it a TV... That works, right? Right?

Honey... Why are you looking at me like that?

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by TiloProbst View Post
I stopped SETI for a while ... how would I disconnect my computer from the current user and join a Team MacNN?
Go to the Seti home page, click on Your Account. Then in the box at the right side, it will say "Member of team" and list your current team. Just to the right of that is "Quit Team" .

You'll need to do this with each of the projects you crunch for, I think.

beadman

reader50
Administrator
Sep 6, 2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Looking desperately for an excuse to grab a new machine...

Ummm... Ahhh... We do need a flat panel in the guest bedroom, right? We don't? So... Ahhh... let's just get a 3GHz iMac and call it a TV... That works, right? Right?

Honey... Why are you looking at me like that?
Nice, very tastey.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 7, 2008, 04:16 PM

I can help with folding@home, when the client hasn't crashed.
Can anyone suggest a better one?

Microns
Sep 7, 2008, 06:26 PM

Hi Everyone, Crunching Seti since May 1999; crunching Seti and now Einstein for Team MacNN since 2002 with an collection of elderly boxen the newest of which is a Quad G5 (no crunching on the MacBook Pros). The Sun Sparc Server 20 with dual 150Mhz Ross processors (hotter than the surface of the sun) has been retired. The oldest CPU is now an Apple B&W juiced to a smoking 500Mhz. Happy crunching...

TiloProbst
Sep 7, 2008, 09:06 PM

What version should I install? I guess Alex is not around anymore? I am still running BOINC 5.4.9 i686-apple-darwin and seti_enhanced-i386-v8-core2-nographics.

What's the story behind the new stuff like astropulse? Can we even crunch those yet? Any settings I should make?

Originally Posted by beadman View Post
Go to the Seti home page, click on Your Account. Then in the box at the right side, it will say "Member of team" and list your current team. Just to the right of that is "Quit Team" .

You'll need to do this with each of the projects you crunch for, I think.

beadman
Thanks

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2008, 12:09 AM

I am running 6.2.18 on my iMac, it is a 64 bit application, I still run V8 as well.

Astropulse still has teething problems and I don't plan on crunching anymore of them until they are resolved. One of them is the fact that Berkeley has not actually released an official app for OS X yet.

Gareth Johnston
Sep 8, 2008, 03:28 PM

I'm out for now guys, we've just started to feel the pinch of the latest electric price rises. If we ever get a drop in prices i'll come back.

It's been fun though.

Will still stay a member of TeamMacnn.

Cheers,

SATAN

Billy
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2008, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Gareth Johnston View Post
I'm out for now guys, we've just started to feel the pinch of the latest electric price rises. If we ever get a drop in prices i'll come back.

It's been fun though.

Will still stay a member of TeamMacnn.

Cheers,

SATAN
It's pretty unlikely that electricity prices will be dropping any time soon. Are you selling your computer?

Gareth Johnston
Sep 9, 2008, 01:49 PM

No Billy the machine is staying, just will be in sleep mode when not being used.

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Sep 21, 2008, 09:28 AM

I am back to see if F@H will work better this time, last time I found that after a week it was crediting my work units to anonymous and I got pissed and quit. I installed 6 CPU's with the client last night, but four of them are assigned to a server that is not handing out work units, if they don't get a work unit by tomorrow, I will quit again and look for another project to join.
Chappaquidick 1, Cheney 0

Lythande
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2008, 07:17 PM

Had to hold off on crunching lately because of a move. When the temperature drops a little bit I should be back. Mostly SETI and einstein with one unit of Climate prediction per year. I don't know much about Folding. I'll have to go take a look.

Mac Pro Quad 1.8, Mac Mini 1.66, MacBook Pro

TiloProbst
Sep 25, 2008, 10:17 AM

By the way, I joined Team MacNN on Sept 4th, but since then I got 0 points. Under my profile it says TC 0 and RAC 0, but I see I am in Team MacNN. Create profile does not work, says I need at least one credit.
The client seems to run fine, an outdated version maybe, but I see I am uploading and downloading units.

Any thoughts on this one?

Radioflyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2008, 11:59 AM

I'd join your folding team except, for the life of me, I can't find your team number Could somebody point me to it?
Cheers
RadioFlyer

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 29, 2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by radioflyer View Post
i'd join your folding team except, for the life of me, i can't find your team number Could somebody point me to it?
16!!!

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...age&teamnum=16

Forum Links
Forum Rules