Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Another RAM question

Another RAM question
Faceplant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 05:40 PM

...OK, here goes.
I am going to buy a 2 GHz Macbook. It will be a nice upgrade from my G3 iBook which needs a new Reed cable for the screen. The Macbook, as you well know comes stock with two 256 ram sticks. I would eventually like the option of having 2 gig of ram but I do not really need that now. So, here is my question...
Can I install a 1gig stick (perhaps from Newegg) in the space where I pried one of the 256 jobbers out of the Macbook and have a total of 1.25Gig? Do they need to be balanced, that is, the same memory in each slot? When my ship comes in, perhaps I can then replace the other 256 stick with a more "Oomphy" one.

Any thoughts? Recomendations? And, and who put the bop in the bobty-bop-te-bop? Was it the same guy who put dip in the dip-te-dip-te-dip? I need to know, because I'd like to shake his hand.

ibook_steve
Aug 18, 2006, 06:22 PM

Of course you can have 1.25 GB. The only disadvantage is that you don't get the enhanced performance you would get with matched value sticks. I don't know if anybody has actually tested the performance difference, but it's there.

Steve

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 18, 2006, 06:49 PM

Eug Wanker posted some very thorough test results a while back. The performance hit primarily affects video, since the MB has its video RAM as part of main RAM.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules