Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > pls help - G3 ibook streaming video problem

pls help - G3 ibook streaming video problem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 12:35 AM

Please help - still faithful G3 ibook users!
I've been having problems with watching streaming video (i.e. Youtube etc) with proper frame rate, and I really don't know watch to do to rectify the problem.

I have (and still works...) G3 iBook 500 Mhz 649 MB SDRAM, 10.3.9 (regularly being updated), with broadband (no problem with old PC laptop or even Macbook Pro when watching streaming video) - with average actual download speed at aroub 150-200 kb/sec.

I use Safari and Internet Explorer was well as Quicktime is updated, and got Divx, VLC as well.

When watching downloaded video (i.e wmv, .mov etc) I have no problem, but watching streaming video with the proper frame rate is the problem.

I can listen to audio of the streaming video without any problems, but video always looks jittery, or looks like running on 10-15 frames per second-ish.

As some of you have addressed in the forum, I still like my iBook G3 to do the daily chores, and don't want to get rid of it (although I got other faster macs for work).

Pls do help me !

Dave B
Jan 16, 2007, 12:12 PM

You will have this problem no matter what you do - the 500 Mhz processor just can't keep up.
I have the same problem with a 400 Mhz Pismo, as well as a 600 Mhz iMac.
With Youtube, the video will often play after it has loaded completely, but not always.
Another problem is that these slow processors can't play the new MPEG-4 and H264 encoded
videos very well, if at all. I am getting rather tired of this, and so I'm making a colossal jump
to a new Macbook!
Pismo 400 Mhz 512MB 80GB 7500RPM Tiger/OS 9
iMac G5 20" 2 Ghz Rev B 250GB 2 GB RAM Tiger
iMac G3 600 Mhz 384MB 160GB 7500RPM Airport CD-RW Tiger/OS 9
iMac 233 Mhz 384MB 80 GB 7500RPM, MCE 24X CD-RW Tiger/OS 9

Forum Links
Forum Rules