Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > You Are Toxic!

You Are Toxic!
subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2022, 07:35 PM

https://www.truity.com/test/toxic-tr...rsonality-quiz

I dunno… sorta? I’m definitely not a negative person, it’s just the negative answers fit me better than the asshole answers. I’ll take rigid and arrogant, but I generally aim to keep those to myself.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2022, 09:04 PM

Oh, I forgot. It said my generic toxic personality type is “control freak”.

Half true? Real control freaks freak when they’re not in control. I dislike it, but I generally don’t freak because (as the test reflects) I highly dislike causing drama.

Now, I absolutely love watching drama.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 27, 2022, 11:59 AM

Well that was interesting. Many of the questions were clearly phrased to push you in one direction or another, and I’m interested in how they scored them.

Hmmm. This feels like a freshman psych project to me…

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 27, 2022, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Oh, I forgot. It said my generic toxic personality type is “control freak”.

Half true? Real control freaks freak when they’re not in control. I dislike it, but I generally don’t freak because (as the test reflects) I highly dislike causing drama.

Now, I absolutely love watching drama.
*fistbump*

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2022, 01:25 PM

You need more arrogance in your life.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2022, 01:40 PM

@Laminar

I’m curious. Do you consider yourself to be negative person, or is a big part of your job anticipating what could go wrong and making sure it doesn’t?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2022, 04:35 PM

I don't think I'm that negative. I thought a lot of the questions lacked an answer I wanted to pick at all though so I'm not surprised.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OreoCookie
Nov 27, 2022, 09:12 PM

I go Mansplainer. Although for some of the multiple choice questions I felt like I was given 4 arshole responses and was forced to choose one. I can't find my tab with my score sheet, but I scored low on the manipulative and negative scale. And high on arrogance.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 28, 2022, 10:00 AM

@Laminar

I’m curious. Do you consider yourself to be negative person, or is a big part of your job anticipating what could go wrong and making sure it doesn’t?
Both.

I've said to my wife multiple times, "I'll stop being so cynical when I stop getting proven right." Usually it's in regards to assuming the intentions of other people. I'm not a downer all the time, no one wants to spend any amount of time around that person.

My job is basically 6 months of planning to install and implement a project over a 1 week period, at which point the project must run and produce on day 1, otherwise we're losing money. If something can go wrong it will, but I've either got a contingency plan already ready or I'm quick enough on my feet to make something else work.

In regards to the quiz, the assessments I trust the least are the ones that require a high degree of self-awareness to get accurate results. When I worked at Bible Camp one summer, all the counselors did an assessment that categorized them as a Lion (leader), Golden Retriever (lover), or Fox (analyzer). Obviously I was a fox (as was the counselor that ended up becoming my wife), but it was funny to see who self-assessed as a leader only to find the test results put them in the lover category.

I think a lot of people are bad at "how would you act in this hypothetical situation" because there's a huge gap between their beliefs and reality.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2022, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Usually it's in regards to assuming the intentions of other people.
I posit what appears to be bad faith is almost always in fact misplaced good faith.

I’m sure you’ve experienced entering into a situation with the best of intentions, only to discover it’s served to make things an order of magnitude worse.

I’m by no means religious, but I believe there is true wisdom behind the cliche “the road to Hell is paved with good intentions”.

While we’re on the subject, “there but for the grace of God go you and I” is another one of those fundamental truths I put stock in despite not really believing in God. Should I be judged a “good person”, that has far more to do with luck than it has to do with something inside myself.

Edit: to put that another way, assuming people don’t have the best intent is a good strategy from a “results-based” standpoint, but I’m not sure it’s accurately assessing the underlying intent.
( Last edited by subego; Nov 28, 2022 at 12:00 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2022, 12:35 PM

Edit: to put that another way, assuming people don’t have the best intent is a good strategy from a “results-based” standpoint, but I’m not sure it’s accurately assessing the underlying intent.
It's great for predicting outcomes. It's not great for understanding, relating to, and growing people.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2022, 01:02 PM

I feel one can get the best of both by assuming the result, but likewise assuming the vast majority of the time the result wasn’t the intent.

Assume the worst yet look for the best.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 28, 2022, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I go Mansplainer. Although for some of the multiple choice questions I felt like I was given 4 arshole responses and was forced to choose one. I can't find my tab with my score sheet, but I scored low on the manipulative and negative scale. And high on arrogance.
Oh yeah. Lots of loaded questions with poor to bad response options.

For example, I spent MOST OF MY LIFE teaching college level courses or providing hands-on therapy. Both of these require plenty of self confidence, plenty of “rule adherence.” Which apparently scores as “arrogance” and “rigidity.” And frankly they both require a whole lot of explaining. So “mansplaining” just sounds like an insult.

My job teaching was literally to be “the knower of all things,” and I was really good at it. As a therapist, patients’ compliance with therapy activities demands that they understand both what and WHY they need to do them. Yeah, LOTS of explaining.

But I take this quiz like a lot of other online personality tests. “For entertainment purposes only.”

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

OreoCookie
Nov 28, 2022, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Oh yeah. Lots of loaded questions with poor to bad response options.
Yeah, that soured me a little on the test. It is skewed too much on the fun side for my taste.
For example, I spent MOST OF MY LIFE teaching college level courses or providing hands-on therapy. Both of these require plenty of self confidence, plenty of “rule adherence.” Which apparently scores as “arrogance” and “rigidity.” And frankly they both require a whole lot of explaining. So “mansplaining” just sounds like an insult.
Same here: I work at university as a researcher and teaching is part of that. Natural sciences are also quite unforgiving, if we are working on a publication together, and there is an error in your computation, I need to insist that you fix it. (Or explain to me where I am wrong.) So you need some degree of anal retentiveness and attention for detail to do the job.
My job teaching was literally to be “the knower of all things,” and I was really good at it. As a therapist, patients’ compliance with therapy activities demands that they understand both what and WHY they need to do them. Yeah, LOTS of explaining.
And you need to tell them what they ought to do — it is part of your job description.
But I take this quiz like a lot of other online personality tests. “For entertainment purposes only.”
Any others that are worthwhile?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2022, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Any others that are worthwhile?
Not sure about academia, but I've taken the DISC assessment several times for different work initiatives, so I'm assuming it has some credence in the professional world.

https://www.123test.com/disc-personality-test/

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2022, 12:18 PM

That gives me a Myers-Briggs vibe.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2022, 12:49 PM

Speaking of M-B, apparently the INTJ subreddit is a pretty rough place, full of the kind of people that would unironically idolize Scarface, Gregory House, or Rick Sanchez.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2022, 01:08 PM

For an entire minute I thought you meant Rick Sanchez from CNN.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2022, 01:35 PM

I had to reacquaint myself with the different types. That’s definitely one of the “huge asshole” categories.

I’m only familiar with M-B at all because I consider these types of models good fodder for NPC random personality generators.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2022, 03:18 PM

“You are conscientious, diligent and pay attention to detail. You constantly strive for accuracy and high standards. You have an inner drive to be systematic and precise in all that you do. You are a natural choice for work that requires attention to detail and accuracy.”

Seems legit.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2022, 03:47 PM

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2022, 04:39 PM

Very interesting how similarly we score on these tests.

Also very interesting we have both chosen career paths that hinge on successfully fitting two tons of shit in a one pound bag.

andi*pandi
Nov 29, 2022, 04:58 PM

I scored Debbie Downer. That tracks. Frequently at work I feel like Cassandra telling people "X won't work because Y doesn't integrate with that system" or any number of things. Also being incredibly detail-oriented annoys people.

Myers Briggs testing definitely is punishing people for personality traits.

Forum Links
Forum Rules