Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 5.0.1 doesn't display PDF

Safari 5.0.1 doesn't display PDF
FireWire
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2010, 01:47 PM

Hi,

I've noticed that Safari doens't display PDF anymore, just a quicktime icon with a question mark. I think the problem was there before the update to 5.0.1. I'm not sure how to fix this beside trying to extract the quicktime package and reinstalling it..

Beside, I noticed that when dealing with HTML5 videos of YouTube, if I try to click further on the bar to skip to a later point, the bar stops updating and remains at the same place for the duration of the clip. The problem is not present for Flash content.

Did you notice this also?

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2010, 03:42 AM

No problem for me on opening PDF online or from anywhere on system "documents" also Youtube plays
fine even when scrubbing forward.
Have you tried a Cleaner Youtube extension might help YouTube - ‪Steve Jobs on CNBC‬‎ to check
Ok for pdf this is a clean site Star Trek Voyager Virtual Season Project check to see online or off.

You may have luck reinstalling QT .pkg but I don't think that would help if plist list is corrupt.

FireWire  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2010, 10:29 AM

Well, I don't know why, but both your links worked perfectly... this is strange!

[edit] ok maybe not perfectly, as I can only view the first page of the PDFs.. are they supposed to be read by quicktime in the first place, or by Safari directly?

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2010, 01:12 PM

Well you can view by Safari or (Preview once downloaded)
Some online PDFs can take long time to load or & are erratic in behaviour I've come across a few.
I also tried via QT and it's fine for me using scroll on mouse to move through the pages same for QickLook using the arrows to navigate.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2010, 01:19 PM

Do you have Adobe Reader installed?

FireWire  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2010, 03:02 PM

But does Safari use a built-in mechanism to open them, or is it always using the plug-in? Maybe that's the problem, because I never saw the quicktime icon before while viewing PDF. I normally get the arrows so I can navigate from page to page. It works properly at work on a PC (5.0.1 also).

Yes I have Reader installed, so I guess I could "repair" it to use its plug-in instead, but I would prefer using Safari's.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2010, 05:27 PM

Throw out the Adobe Reader plug-in.

When it's installed (and the ****ing Reader does this WITHOUT asking you), Safari defaults to Adobe's plug-in.

It's in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/

There should be nothing PDF-related in there.

FireWire  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2010, 10:20 PM

Thanks, but I had already disabled Reader's plug-in from the beginning.

Forum Links
Forum Rules