Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > mount_nfs help

mount_nfs help
arcticmac
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2005, 09:50 PM

ok so my dad's exported an nfs filesystem so I can mount it... or at least, so I should be able to mount it. Except...
when I try to
Code:
mount_nfs server:/backup/me /mnt
it complains:
Code:
mount_nfs: /mnt: Permission Denied
Why on earth is it having trouble getting permission to my LOCAL directory. I could see if it couldn't access the remote one or something, but the local one??? I'm clueless.

er... so, any thoughts?

rwhiffen
Sep 4, 2005, 11:05 PM

I've never tried it under MacOS X, but in solaris, AIX and Linux, this means the server won't let you mount, not the local directory. So ensure that the -o rw=ip.of.you.mac (or hostname if you have some type of name servers) is set correctly in the export on the server.

Rich

Detrius
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2005, 12:35 AM

Did you create /mnt?
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

arcticmac  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2005, 12:44 PM

rwhiffen, My dad says he's already done what you said.

Also, yes, I did create /mnt. When I don't create /mnt, it complains that it doesn't exist, rather than that permission is denied.

My dad has looked at the network traffic, and he says that it looks like the mount went fine, but then my computer asks for directory attributes on the mount, and his server denies permission there.

any more ideas?

__^^__
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2005, 07:30 PM

What are the permissions on /mnt. Trying issuing the command as root.

arcticmac  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2005, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by __^^__
What are the permissions on /mnt. Trying issuing the command as root.
owned by root, permissions are 755, and I was already using sudo, I just forgot to put that in here. doesn't make any difference.

rwhiffen
Sep 5, 2005, 08:09 PM

Yeah, if you don't do it as root, you get "operation not permitted" or some other 'no soup for you' type error.

Looks to me like you've got a name resolution issue. For example, your dad has one name for your machine, but your machine is reporting a different name to the server. Or it could be the fully qualified domain name is needed. What OS is the NFS server?

Rich

arcticmac  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2005, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by rwhiffen
Yeah, if you don't do it as root, you get "operation not permitted" or some other 'no soup for you' type error.

Looks to me like you've got a name resolution issue. For example, your dad has one name for your machine, but your machine is reporting a different name to the server. Or it could be the fully qualified domain name is needed. What OS is the NFS server?

Rich
the NFS server runs NetBSD. my dad's got another NetBSD box here, and when he exports to that box instead of mine, everything's just fine, but it won't work with mine.

rwhiffen
Sep 20, 2005, 11:54 AM

Did you ever get this fixed? I've been a bit tied up and haven't been to the forums in a while.

Two things to check: The hostname your dad has for your mac, and the FQDN. Some NFS implemntations are very picky. On your mac, run "hostname" and "domainname" to find out what you have for a hostname and domain name. Make sure your dad's /etc/hosts (or what ever name service he's running) match the names your machine is calling itself. You can ignore the .local. For example, My hostname says:

Last login: Mon Sep 19 11:16:30 2005 from 162.6.239.94
Welcome to Darwin!
rwhiffen:~ rwhiffen$ domainname

rwhiffen:~ rwhiffen$ hostname
rwhiffen.local
rwhiffen:~ rwhiffen$

So My hostname is rwhiffen (strip .local) and my domain name is blank. On my solaris server I have to have that match in /etc/hosts.

Rich

chris_sf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2005, 08:13 PM

Try using a reserved port. As root or using sudo:

mount -o resvport server:export /mountpoint

The mount_nfs manpage has more detail.

Jiel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2006, 04:22 PM

Hello,

Originally Posted by arcticmac
ok so my dad's exported an nfs filesystem so I can mount it... or at least, so I should be able to mount it. Except...
when I try to
Code:
mount_nfs server:/backup/me /mnt
it complains:
Code:
mount_nfs: /mnt: Permission Denied
Why on earth is it having trouble getting permission to my LOCAL directory. I could see if it couldn't access the remote one or something, but the local one??? I'm clueless.

er... so, any thoughts?
Did you finaly solve this problem ?

I encounter exactly the same symptom (permission denied on the LOCAL directory).

The mount succeed when I connect my mac directly to the LAN where the nfs server is connected, but fails when I use wifi (and airport express as router).

I run the nfs server in debug mode and according to the log of the server, everything is ok :
Code:
mountd[26538] 07/29/106 22:01 mnt [1 106/7/29 21:47:27 ganymede.local 0.0+0,1,2,3,4,29,8,5,9,80,20] mountd[26538] 07/29/106 22:01 /export/jiel mountd[26538] 07/29/106 22:01 NFS mount of /export/jiel attempted from 192.168.0.100 mountd[26538] 07/29/106 22:01 auth_path(/export/jiel): mount point /export/jiel, (all_squash insecure rw) mountd[26538] 07/29/106 22:01 fh_find: psi=7000c008... not found mountd[26538] 07/29/106 22:01 fh_find: created new handle 805b990 (path `<unnamed>' psi 7000c008) mountd[26538] 07/29/106 22:01 rmtab_insert path='/export/jiel' host='ganymede' mountd[26538] 07/29/106 22:01 rmtab_insert path='/export/jiel' host='ganymed' mountd[26538] 07/29/106 22:01 /export/jiel has been mounted by 192.168.0.100 mountd[26538] 07/29/106 22:01 mount res = 0
My mac has 10.0.1.2 as IP, and the airport express 192.168.0.100 on LAN side.
The permission on the /mnt directory are 777, owned by root.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 03:43 AM

Maybe it is a firewall issue.

evidently NFS randomly assigns ports, so the firewall is tricky.

this page has some info - it's aimed at gentoo linux but it's still useful.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Share_Directories_via_NFS
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

Jiel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 02:31 PM

Thanks for your help.

I don't know why, but it works now (I don't change anything to my config...)

By the way, I've found this useful page if somebody else try to deal with NFS
and airport: http://dawuss.student.utwente.nl/blog/entry/38

arcticmac  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2006, 05:54 PM

I'll have to look at those pages, but i've still not fixed my problem. I don't think mine's a firewall issue, cause my mac doesn't run a firewall, and the nfs server is on the same side of our LAN firewall as I am, so...

Forum Links
Forum Rules