Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iBike?

iBike?
FireWire
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2010, 10:29 AM

This morning on my local newspaper, I saw an article stating that Apple was working on a "smart bike", which they dubed iBike, a bit similar to the Nike+ system. I had doubts because the article was written by a bike person and not a tech person, and because no Mac sites mentionned it before, but they provide links to patents so it seems legit..

United States Patent Application: 0100198453

Apple Introduces us to the Smart Bike - Patently Apple

On August 5, 2010, the US Patent & Trademark Office published a patent application from Apple that reveals various concepts behind a newly advanced Smart Bicycle System in development. The premise is rather like Apple's Nike + iPod system for runners except for cyclists. While the system is for individuals, it's also designed to work with teams of cyclists so that they could communicate with each other on-the-fly about course difficulty or perceived problems. The Bicycle system monitors speed, distance, time, altitude, elevation, incline, decline, heart rate, power, derailleur setting, cadence, wind speed, path completed, expected future path, heart rate, power, and pace. The system could utilize various sensors built-into the iPhone in addition to working with sensors already built-into the bike itself. Apple's patent is extraordinarily detailed and packed with interesting twists that the sporting cyclist will really appreciate.
Interesting!

downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 10, 2010, 10:50 AM

That is interesting. I'm guessing they'll team up with Trek, only because I've seen Trek team up with a lot of other companies (VW for example) to collaborate on a special model. There was a Trek Jetta back in the mid 90s, that came with a bike, bike rack, and some special seats. I could see Apple teaming up with Trek to produce a special roadbike, that would integrate nicely with something like those Nike iPod systems.

What would be really interesting would be if the iPod analyzed all the music's BPM, and then auto-selected tunes that matched your pedaling rhythm.

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2010, 11:06 AM

Betcha it'll be a huge success, when it eventually comes out!

There's a huge market for a well-done device!

FireWire  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
What would be really interesting would be if the iPod analyzed all the music's BPM, and then auto-selected tunes that matched your pedaling rhythm.
Or even better, that matched the effort to come.. need a boost before a big hill? fire up some 160 bpm techno!

Phileas
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2010, 11:17 AM

I'd love a waterproof iPhone holder that integrates with my bike, ideally with a backup battery. GPS, traffic, ride information, etc. Very cool.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2010, 08:37 PM

iBike is being used by someone. I wonder was they haven't been sued yet. (ala Monster)
iBike -- The World's Most Sophisticated Cycling Computers
45/47

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2010, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
iBike is being used by someone. I wonder was they haven't been sued yet. (ala Monster)
iBike -- The World's Most Sophisticated Cycling Computers
Well, whadya know? what are the chances that Apple didn't know this? Vanishingly small...

Forum Links
Forum Rules