Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > How To Get on My School's Wireless Network?

How To Get on My School's Wireless Network?
jendmb34
Jan 13, 2004, 02:19 PM

I bought a powerbook a few months ago and really would like to be able to wirelessly connect to my school's network. i just started part time for an MBA. Anyway, the help desk says they do not support macs, and their wireless system is only compatible with windows (SecureW2)... Is there any way to get around this?

Here is information on the wireless network at Villanova:

http://www.unit.villanova.edu/support/menu/wireless/

I am new with macs, so if you have any ideas, please walk me through, step-by-step!

Thanks so much.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 13, 2004, 04:18 PM

I hate to say this, but it looks like you're stuck. If the school's system authenticates using this SecureW2 client, then they CAN ONLY support Windows machines. The maker of the client, Alfa & Ariss only makes clients for Windows. Further, it looks like Villanova is using a server-side application that ONLY supports this client. While I'm sure it's very secure, it also blocks everyone with a Mac. Bad move on their part.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jendmb34  (op)
Jan 13, 2004, 04:33 PM

That's pretty unfair, wouldn't you say?

I had questions about this on a messageboard in the past, and a guy said that there may be an open source freeware program that does the exact same thing that SecureW2 does, but works for OS X.

this is what he said:

"SecureW2 does authentication. It uses two things. One is called 802.1x and the other is called EAP-TTLS. That's all SecureW2 does.

I've been able to find open-source software for OS X that does both 802.1x and EAP-TTLS. So, it should work just fine. But I can't be positive of that.

Basically, there's is stuff for OS X that does exactly was SecureW2 says it does, and therefore should work. But I can't guarantee that."

That's the last I heard from that guy, so I don't know where to go from here...

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 13, 2004, 06:01 PM

I agree that it's not fair, but it's their back yard, and their ball, so they get to make the rules.

The issue is not an 802.1X authentication client, but the technique/algorithm used, the EAP-TTLS protocol. It's possible that Villanova has a "tuned" version of that client that is intended to keep out anything but the "Villanova version" of the client. Who can say?

Anyway, I think the best course would be to start searching for "EAP-TTLS" "802.1X" and "Mac OS." Those three phrases should get you lots of hits, and give you plenty to read. I expect you'll find the stuff the other guy told you about without too much difficulty, and I wish you luck. I'm just not going to hold my breath, and I suggest you don't either.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kampl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2004, 09:57 PM

Check out this link . I had never seen this 802.1x icon in Internet Connect before, but sure enough if you hit Shift+CMD+x while Internet Connect is open the option appears.

The great thing here is that there seems to be a whole bunch of 802.1x methods supported based on what is presented. Unfortunately I do not have a lab set up to test any of these alternate methods but perhaps this will help you connect to your school's network. Get tech support to give you all the info they would give a Windows user and perhaps you can make it work.

SecureW2 seems to just be an implementation of EAP-TTLS for Windows as there is not one built in on that platform. There appears to be a working implementation in Panther that could be compatible with what is deployed at that site based on what I have found at the link I have posted. Configuration seems to be pretty straight forward compared to what I have seen at your school's support pages, so it may be pretty easy to get going. It may not work at all however......

Please post back if you can get it going or need someone to bounce questions off of.

Good luck.
( Last edited by kampl; Jan 13, 2004 at 11:44 PM. )

jendmb34  (op)
Jan 14, 2004, 12:56 PM

good advice, everyone, thank you.

i am not back at school until tuesday. i will check out these methods then and let you know how it goes. thanks again.

OreoCookie
Jan 14, 2004, 09:28 PM

Check out VPNTracker, you can get a 30 days demo to check out if it works.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

kampl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2004, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
Check out VPNTracker, you can get a 30 days demo to check out if it works.
VPNTracker will not be of any help with this problem.

jendmb34  (op)
Jan 21, 2004, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by kampl:
Check out this link . I had never seen this 802.1x icon in Internet Connect before, but sure enough if you hit Shift+CMD+x while Internet Connect is open the option appears.

The great thing here is that there seems to be a whole bunch of 802.1x methods supported based on what is presented. Unfortunately I do not have a lab set up to test any of these alternate methods but perhaps this will help you connect to your school's network. Get tech support to give you all the info they would give a Windows user and perhaps you can make it work.

SecureW2 seems to just be an implementation of EAP-TTLS for Windows as there is not one built in on that platform. There appears to be a working implementation in Panther that could be compatible with what is deployed at that site based on what I have found at the link I have posted. Configuration seems to be pretty straight forward compared to what I have seen at your school's support pages, so it may be pretty easy to get going. It may not work at all however......

Please post back if you can get it going or need someone to bounce questions off of.

Good luck.
tried it last night. didn't work. i think i'm stuck. my next move is just finding someone in the business building that has an apple going, and see if they know how to get onto the network somehow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules