Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > MenuShade hides/shows the menubar (think Barmaid)

MenuShade hides/shows the menubar (think Barmaid)
Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2006, 02:18 AM

Download http://www.nullriver.com/downloads/MenuShade.zip
Via http://www.nullriver.com/index/products

Launch the app, go to preferences, drag "Shaded brightness" all the way to the right.

Now add to login items and use Dockless to keep it out of the dock.

Finally, the menu bar is gone. (Except when you need to use it.)

Oh yeah, don't forget to check "Use fake transparency"

Now, let's talk about that pesky shadow..
( Last edited by Banghazi; May 23, 2006 at 02:58 AM. )

wingchuner
Forum Regular
May 15, 2006, 02:29 AM

sweet this is a nice feature they added... so it's not an autohide but at least you can disguise the menubar..thanks for the heads up man!!!!...

oh yeah deskshade gets rid of shadow
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow's a Mystery,
Today is a Gift...
Which is why it is called the Present.
AIM- klovesrae

tcom
Banned
May 15, 2006, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the tip Banghazi... finally a full-screen dp and no ugly menubar (except when you need it). I've been trying to get this minimal for years!...

Syzygy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2006, 04:37 PM

Now if only you could use the space where the menubar is for windows and have it temporarily cover the windows when it's unshaded

gruneeitelkeit
May 15, 2006, 09:05 PM

You don't know how long I've been waiting for this feature.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 17, 2006, 03:15 PM

not working for me.

?when i click "fake transparency", the menubar blinks twice, stays on...

shapeshifter problem? transparent dock?

any ideas, anyone??
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

tcom
Banned
May 18, 2006, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
not working for me.

any ideas, anyone??
I had a similar problem when I first started up MenuShade. I quit it, moved it to top of the list in the Preferences Startup Items window, restarted the program then restarted the computer. Since then, it's been working fine with one exception. I tested the MenuShade Exceptions function, but that doesn't seem to work at all which is no big deal, at least from my standpoint. I'm just happy to finally be rid of the fugly menubar. Hope that helps...

Banghazi  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2006, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
not working for me.

any ideas, anyone??

Works fine for me and I'm using Shapeshifter 2.3.1 and MacOS 10.4.6, as well as TransparentDock's most problem-potential features.

Are you using Dockless? I don't know how consistently that will work with MenuShade; I only tried it once to see if it worked and it seemed to work fine, but I don't use it anymore as I have all background apps enabled in the dock via TransparentDock anyway.

The only annoyance I've noticed is that on my 600MHz G3 (with maxed-out RAM), it's exceptionally slow to refresh when the background is changed; and sometimes doesn't change at all unless I relaunch MenuShade. I'm guessing this is probably not an issue on faster computers.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2006, 01:56 AM

Thanks for the great tip. I think I might start using desktop clock again though...
My Blog-pakos.me

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2006, 08:57 PM

OMFG!!!! Finally!
WahooOOoO!

So glad this solution is finally here... I will have to tell Fjolnir.

Thank you MenuShade!

R!!!

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2006, 09:34 PM

How do you reorder the apps?

R

Originally Posted by Deacon
I had a similar problem when I first started up MenuShade. I quit it, moved it to top of the list in the Preferences Startup Items window, restarted the program then restarted the computer. Since then, it's been working fine with one exception. I tested the MenuShade Exceptions function, but that doesn't seem to work at all which is no big deal, at least from my standpoint. I'm just happy to finally be rid of the fugly menubar. Hope that helps...

tcom
Banned
May 20, 2006, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by G0Ducks
How do you reorder the apps?

R
Well I'm still using 10.3.9 (I'll probably get around to updating one of these days!), so am not sure if the same procedure applies to 10.4, in case that's what you're running. In any event, open your preferences and go to System Accounts and select Startup Items. Then just highlight the application you want to resequence and drag it to the desired position in the opening sequence order. Concerning MenuShade, I keep it as the first application in the sequence and it's been working great. Hope that helps...

jabackes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2006, 11:04 AM

well it works, but here's my 20 second review:

App does what it says, makes the menu disappear, controls are good, and well thought out, for a haxie, i think it's got promise! Didn't check, but the shadow is still drawn by the OS, so maybe window shade (unsanity.com/windowshade) could take that out. My biggest flaw found with it has to be that i have a folder of Desktops that i am fond of, thus i have Deskshade running to give pretty transitions to a 5 minute cycle of the desktops. where i am going with this is that Menu Shade kinda takes a snap-shot of the current desktop, and applies it to its' background. thus making the menubar "transparent" thats fine, and quite a great idea if you ask me, but since it takes that one snap-shot, that also means that when you change desktop patterns or pictures, you've now got a strip across the top that is the old"er" desktop. thats my only problem with the app tho. well written, and good find!

Forum Links
Forum Rules