Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > man returns 185k check

man returns 185k check
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 03:42 PM

I'm always amazed when you start reading about someone who returns money like this
msnbc

Additionally what is just as surprising (and actually sad) the person who he returned the check too gave him a 50 dollar reward. While I believe the guy didn't do the good deed for a reward, the person giving such a paltry amount is insulting.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 03:46 PM

I don't get how he could cash a check in someone else's name and get away with it down the road.

$50 is pretty generous when the check could have been canceled and re-issued anyway.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2008, 03:46 PM

Bogus story.
You can't just cash a check made out to someone else without a paper trail (at the very least).
What did people expect this guy to do with the check?
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Cold Warrior
Jan 2, 2008, 03:48 PM

No kidding. It's not like like he found cash. A check, made out to someone else, which the people could easily have canceled and reissued if it hadn't been returned.

Good for him returning it, but the media shouldn't have reported this.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2008, 03:51 PM

Oh, that was nice to get $50.

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 04:13 PM

Its nice but the guy went out of the way to return the check, and considering the amount of the check, I just thought it was a little cheap for the other person to cough up 50 bucks.

Perhaps its the fact that the guy is on food stamps and here he found a 6 figure check. He doesn't think twice about returning it.

I'm not sure if could have gotten away with trying to cash it. I believe he would have gotten caught if he tried and I think he implied that in the story.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2008, 04:26 PM

"Damone said that although he knew $185,000 could pay his rent and other bills for a long time, he was never tempted to try to cash it and splurge."

Right

He could have just gone to a bank and cashed it for cash, w/o showing an ID. LOL.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2008, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Its nice but the guy went out of the way to return the check, and considering the amount of the check, I just thought it was a little cheap for the other person to cough up 50 bucks.
Well, how much would YOU deem appropriate ?

-t

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 04:40 PM

I had someone cash one of my paychecks one time. But, I'm pretty sure any bank or check cashing service would have required 2 forms of ID for such a large check. Still, props to him for returning it. And honestly, to stop payment on a check can range from $20-$50, so, it all works out.

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Well, how much would YOU deem appropriate ?
If I had a 185,000 dollar check that was lost and someone went out of their way to deliver back to me. I'd probably give him a few hundred easy.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2008, 05:15 PM

If I had a 185,000 dollar check that was lost and someone went out of their way to deliver back to me. I'd probably give him a few hundred easy.
Even if the check could be easily replaced for under $ 50 ?

IT WAS NOT LOST CASH !!!!11!1oneone

-t

beb
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2008, 05:47 PM

Damone could have easily gotten a fake id from two sources. He could have then cashed the check. As the federal government would have been looking for the person on the fake id, he also would not have had to pay taxes. Criminals can be any combination of things.

I think he was remarkable. And the story is news worthy.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by beb View Post
Damone could have easily gotten a fake id from two sources. He could have then cashed the check.
He can't afford his normal bills and picks garbage off the floor and this guy has the money and resources to get 2 fake IDs?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 2, 2008, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
He can't afford his normal bills and picks garbage off the floor and this guy has the money and resources to get 2 fake IDs?
College students can barely afford normal bills, but somehow they manage to get a hold of fake IDs. And with $185,000 at stake, I'm sure he could find a friend to bum $20 off of.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
College students can barely afford normal bills, but somehow they manage to get a hold of fake IDs. And with $185,000 at stake, I'm sure he could find a friend to bum $20 off of.
Somehow I get the feeling he wouldn't get away with it either way. I mean does the bank let you walk out with $185,000 in cash just for showing 2 IDs?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2008, 06:41 PM

Somehow I get the feeling he wouldn't get away with it either way. I mean does the bank let you walk out with $185,000 in cash just for showing 2 IDs?
Yeah, only in Amaraca.

Oh, wait, nevermind...

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 2, 2008, 07:12 PM

Yeah, only in Amaraca.

Oh, wait, nevermind...

-t

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2008, 07:58 PM

Cashing a check that isn't yours for $185,000 is felony wire fraud, you could go to prison for doing that. The bank would know immediately, too.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2008, 08:04 PM

You don't even need IDs. When I was going to school, I had to go to the bank to get a $5,200 cheque to pay for tuition. I filled out everything and got to the counter when I realized I forgot my wallet at home. However, I had to get to the admissions office before they closed. The teller just said don't worry about it, what's your social? I told her my social security number and they wrote me a cheque for $5,200.

That had me really worried. I'm glad I got the cheque, but I called Washington Mutual immediately after and told them that I just withdrew over $5,000 from my bank account with absolutely no identification. They asked for the location of the bank and told me they were going to investigate, but I never heard back or knew what became of it.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Cashing a check that isn't yours for $185,000 is felony wire fraud, you could go to prison for doing that.
Really? I thought it fell under the "Finders keepers, losers weepers" law.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2008, 09:12 PM

What I find most interesting about this are the assumptions people have about this person and his circumstances.

honest behavior = not normal "I can't believe he gave back the check."
honest behavior = deserving a reward "He only got $50?!?! He should have gotten XXXX dollars!
working class = less honest "Wow!?! A poor guy found a check for $185,000 and returned it. Isn't that surprising?"

I think these comments--the whole discussion, in fact--is very telling about people's perceptions of morality and class. What if some rich guy found the check? Would you (the collective you) still be surprised that the check was returned? and what if no reward was proffered to the rich guy? what then? Would this still be a news-worthy story?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2008, 09:28 PM

I found a $200k check a few months ago, but didn't cash it. Being an Asian male, I look nothing like a Maria Garcia. I didn't want to risk going to jail for committing a felony. I just tore it up, knowing the check was probably already voided. If I knew I could get $50, maybe I would spend an hour to return the check.

Okay, I just made that up.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 09:48 PM

check cashing places wouldn't cash for that large of an amount; so fake ID wouldn't do any good. and if you had the ID anyway (fake or real), they would tell you to go to your bank.

on the bank side of things; you couldn't cash that amount unless you had matching funds in your account to begin with. it would be on a 3 to 5 day hold and you couldn't touch it; meaning deposit only. and since the finder of said check probably doesn't have an account at a bank...

just a slow news day. guess no athletes are killing anybody or no celebrities are driving drunk and/or nakid.

AngelaBaby
Jan 2, 2008, 11:27 PM

It doesn't matter what amount is on the check, if it's not in your name then you won't be able to cash it.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 2, 2008, 11:32 PM

That story is WAY to skimpy to be able to tell if the "check" was actually a negotiable instrument that the kid could have cashed legally. There are a lot of methods for turning cash into something else that still winds up being negotiable by anyone who presents it.

But whatever else is true, the kid did the right thing and got a reward for doing so. Very good for him!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2008, 01:45 AM

Maybe they don't exist anymore, but I remember no more than 15 years ago seeing check cashing places that advertised they didn't require ID in San Francisco.

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2008, 08:34 AM

Even if the check could be easily replaced for under $ 50 ?

IT WAS NOT LOST CASH !!!!11!1oneone
and you need to yell that little nugget of wisdom Poke your head out of your shell once in a while and you;ll see that people have and will continue to cash checks that are not written to them. It may not be cash but it is legal tender, i.e., MONEY.!!!11!oneone

Originally Posted by AngelaBaby View Post
It doesn't matter what amount is on the check, if it's not in your name then you won't be able to cash it.
Sure you can. Never heard of people endorsing checks over.

While I would think the tellers would be a little more careful because of the amount the fact remains I've deposited some rather large checks before and they sometimes didn't even ask for an ID. The issue at hand with this check is the fact that you cannot cash it. Banks don't have enough cash on hand so you'll need to deposit it.

ghporter is correct that the story is devoid of some specifics. What type of check was it, bank, personal, business. Was it made out to cash?

When purchasing my house, I had to make out some large checks to cash, the time before that I made it out to myself so I've had to endorse it over. It's conceivable that the person in question could have deposited the check. Would he have gotten caught - yeah, I think the odds of getting away with something like that are pretty infinitesimal

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2008, 12:03 PM

Sure you can. Never heard of people endorsing checks over.
My bank (Bank of America) does NOT accept endorsed third party checks UNLESS the person who the check was made out to is known to the bank (i.e. has filled out a signature card and shown his photo ID).

So no, at least some credible banks would NOT just accept a check, even if it's endorsed. Heck, if you can't verify the endorsment, why even require it.

-t

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
What I find most interesting about this are the assumptions people have about this person and his circumstances.

honest behavior = not normal "I can't believe he gave back the check."
honest behavior = deserving a reward "He only got $50?!?! He should have gotten XXXX dollars!
working class = less honest "Wow!?! A poor guy found a check for $185,000 and returned it. Isn't that surprising?"

I think these comments--the whole discussion, in fact--is very telling about people's perceptions of morality and class. What if some rich guy found the check? Would you (the collective you) still be surprised that the check was returned? and what if no reward was proffered to the rich guy? what then? Would this still be a news-worthy story?
1) Rich guys don't find checks - they find bonds in the back of their closets. (so no reward, no publicity, etc)

therefore,

2) Not news worthy - 'cause only the middle class and poor need (somewhat) hopeful stories about themselves to have a reason for living.

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2008, 12:48 PM

My bank (Bank of America) does NOT accept endorsed third party checks UNLESS the person who the check was made out to is known to the bank (i.e. has filled out a signature card and shown his photo ID).

So no, at least some credible banks would NOT just accept a check, even if it's endorsed. Heck, if you can't verify the endorsment, why even require it.

-t
I used to be the treasurer of my church and we handle at times a number of third party endorsed checks. They (BofA) accepted them no problem at all and no questions asked. Heck, they deposited checks when the payee name wasn't anything close to the organization name. We run a food pantry and some people made the check out to the food pantry instead of the church even though the food pantry name was not a legal entity. The bank still deposited them without issue.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2008, 01:31 PM

I used to be the treasurer of my church and we handle at times a number of third party endorsed checks. They (BofA) accepted them no problem at all and no questions asked. Heck, they deposited checks when the payee name wasn't anything close to the organization name. We run a food pantry and some people made the check out to the food pantry instead of the church even though the food pantry name was not a legal entity. The bank still deposited them without issue.

Yes, and it's a minor detail that the bank knew YOU and the church, and had a longlasting working relationship with you.

I'm sure the bank would treat a stranger with a $ 185k third-party check exactly the same

-t

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 01:46 PM

It's $185,000 check. There is no way in hell they would cash the check without any forms of ID. No bank, no check cashing places.

If it is under $100, it's no big deal.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2008, 01:51 PM

I used to be the treasurer of my church and we handle at times a number of third party endorsed checks.
If you have an account with them they could give a **** cuz if there is a problem they know where to find you.

It is a different story if you walk in off the street with no account and a giant check you want cashed.

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2008, 01:53 PM

Yes, and it's a minor detail that the bank knew YOU and the church, and had a longlasting working relationship with you.

I'm sure the bank would treat a stranger with a $ 185k third-party check exactly the same

-t
Actually you couldn't be more wrong but that doesn't seem surprising by some of your ofther posts.

On a number of occasions I've had to take the deposit to a different branch where we did not have such a relationship

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2008, 02:07 PM

Actually you couldn't be more wrong but that doesn't seem surprising by some of your ofther posts.

On a number of occasions I've had to take the deposit to a different branch where we did not have such a relationship
A branch still can easily look up your banking history with the company.

How big where these checks? $200,000 that you ask for all in cash?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2008, 02:10 PM

Dude, you got no clue.

They have the signatures scanned, it can be pulled up by any branch. And, as SWG pointed out, your complete history is available, too.

-t

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 02:37 PM

I can't even cash a check made out to me that is $1000, unless I open up an account with the bank. The bank is willing to cash a check that is $100 without requiring me to open a bank account. If you want to cash a check that is $1000, they require me to open a bank account and provide them with my personal info.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2008, 02:46 PM

Just to be fair though you CAN cash a check that is not in your name as long as the person who it is made out to signed the back.

Even then they still require me to have an account with the bank though.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2008, 02:27 AM

I forgot my ATM card's four digit code once so I went to the bank to get it reset... I walked in, put the card on the desk and said "I forgot my code and I need a new one put on", the lady said "Okay, we can do that right here; please enter the new four digit code... " I walked in and out in of the bank (a branch I had never been to) in about 5 minutes with a new code on the ATM card without ever showing any form of ID. Freaky.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 02:43 AM

to the guy that returned the check.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
And you're back again. Wow. Sure you don't want to be "cubed" this time?

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
I thought you left? If memory serves me, especially since it wasn't that long ago, you left in a huff because you got pissed off about some threads here i the forum

As laminar mentioned you really should have cubed yourself

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 08:32 AM

Just to be fair though you CAN cash a check that is not in your name as long as the person who it is made out to signed the back.

Even then they still require me to have an account with the bank though.
In recent years pretty much every cheque in the UK has been pre-printed A/C PAYEE ONLY. However, it has basically always been the case that funds are not guaranteed if you have knowingly participated in fraud (and cashing a cheque with someone else's name on it is knowing participation), with banks being known to reverse transactions months down the line.

In fact, until last November they were doing it to people who weren't even knowing participants - there was a story of someone who was given a £15k cheque from someone they vaguely knew, and then asked to withdraw the money in cash later once the funds had cleared through. It wasn't until some months later that the cheque was determined fraudelent, by which time the other party had made off with £15k in cash - leaving the victim suddenly and unexpectedly £15000 overdrawn and facing repossession of their home.

Of course, the victim in that case was ridiculously naive (even if they weren't malicious), but the point is that if you'd managed to cash a cheque in someone else's name the bank would certainly have taken the money back when they realised. And probably brought criminal charges.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
I forgot my ATM card's four digit code once so I went to the bank to get it reset... I walked in, put the card on the desk and said "I forgot my code and I need a new one put on", the lady said "Okay, we can do that right here; please enter the new four digit code... " I walked in and out in of the bank (a branch I had never been to) in about 5 minutes with a new code on the ATM card without ever showing any form of ID. Freaky.
That's terrible - here banks insist on sending you a new one in the post to your registered address.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 4, 2008, 11:09 AM

I can top torsoboy. A friend and I went to dinner and paid separately with identical looking check cards-the only difference being our names. My name is "Glenn". His is "Glyn." We did not pay attention to which card went with which bill, let alone who went home with which card. Next day, I went to the ATM to get some cash and my PIN didn't work, so I went in to the bank to have the card checked. "Your card is pretty worn out, sir. We can issue you a new one." Great! Let's do that. I gave them the card and they destroyed it. They did NOT ask for ID, but did use "my" first name...

Two hours later, my friend calls me and tells me that HE noticed the card he had was mine... Now, when we use our cards at the same time, we make double sure we get the right one back.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2008, 05:54 AM

This article would have been so much better if it was "Man who found $180k in cash returns it to its owner". But then the $50 reward would have seemed VERY lame.

The check is a no-biggie since it couldn't have been cashed anyway by someone else, and it could have been re-issued.

chrisarnt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2008, 03:08 PM

Really it is. The fascination the media and the American public has with this is that with an opportunity to commit a crime, a minority who appears to be living paycheck to paycheck, did not. I saw the interview, and he did not seem stupid or criminal. Those are the two types of people who would try and cash somebody else's check for $185,000. I mean I can't even cash checks made out to myself if don't have a bank account at that specific bank.
So I ask this question, given the fact that you'd have to be some sort of criminal mastermind to cash this check... why is this interesting at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules