Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iphone or itouch? questions

iphone or itouch? questions
pwrmacg4
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2008, 02:45 PM

I have a palm treo cellphone with t-mobilephone). Don't want to change phone.
Should I get itouch or iphone? I hone would require a new contact with at&t? Or can I use t-mobile with it? (can it be unlocked& use sim card?)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2008, 03:22 PM

They haven't successfully unlocked the 3G iPhone yet, and even when they do doing so may be more trouble than it's worth (contract wise). I love my iTouch.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2008, 10:48 PM

Well if you are happy with your Treo and T-Mobile, there is no reason to get an iPhone. I am quite happy with my iPod touch and Verizon RAZR. I can't stand AT&T, and the iPod touch gives me enough of the iPhone Kool-Aid to drink

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2008, 11:00 PM

Seconded for iTouch. If you don't want to replace your current phone, it would be a waste to get an iPhone ... and, it's thicker than the iTouch.

danangdoc
Nov 12, 2008, 04:20 PM

You have a lot of options with the iPod touch - that is, there are the 3 sizes in the both the old and new generation. 8-gig, 16-gig, and 32-gig. Depends on what you need and what you want to spend. The new ones have a speaker; the previous models do not. If that's not an issue, you can save a heck of a lot of money on the older model. Apple is selling a re-furbed or leftover 8-gig Gen-1 model for $179. That comes with a full warranty, and you can buy and extended warranty for it (iCare). Some credit cards like VISA may already do that for you. What I like about the 'touch' is that where I live, WiFi abundant at various stores, downtown, etc, as well as at home, so connectivity is not an issue. Something for you to think about.

davidcl1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2009, 04:19 PM

Don't waste a dime on an Apple Itouch!!! I bought one from the Apple store, bought the Apple care warranty. I babied that thing and the most amazing thing happened. I discovered that you cannot take it outside in the cold because when you go back inside, moisture will condense on the chrome metal backplate. If you are unlucky enough to have bought one of those "protective" rubber cases for it, it will capture the condensation until it accumulates enough to spill into the headphone jack and activate the water sensor before it shorts out the damned thing. This voids any and all warranties. I never got this thing close to water and less than a month after purchasing it, it is destroyed by condensation and I lose $300 because Apple says tough luck. I HIGHLY RECCOMMEND, DO NOT BUY ITOUCH JUNK!!!

bearcatrp
Senior User
Feb 15, 2009, 06:36 PM

Any way to teather a iPod touch to a cell phone to surf the net?
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 15, 2009, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by davidcl1 View Post
Don't waste a dime on an Apple Itouch!!! <rest of rant not included here>
Welcome to our forums, David. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, but to be honest, that would have been the same result if you'd had a rubber cover on an iPhone (and your AT&T contract wouldn't have been canceled due to the dead phone, either).

Now a request. If you registered JUST to rant, please understand why most of us just glance at what you posted and move along. If not, please remember that this is really a set of "Apple fan" forums, and even if we don't care for a particular product in a particular setting, we don't call it "junk" (most of the time), and we stay to the subject of a thread (it's required by one of our rules). Your post is on the ragged edge of "on topic," but since it's 99% vitriol (and most of that caused by a "self-inflicted injury"), it's not going to get a lot of people to actually read it. Lighten up.

Apple did not set out to screw you over, you just managed to set up a situation where their rather logical rules worked against you, and while I'm truly sorry that you're out so much money, I can't feel much more for you because I believe that every piece of portable electronic equipment warns in its manual against sudden condensation in extremely cold weather. Before I got past the "outside in the cold" in your post, I could see where it was going. Sorry dude.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2009, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by davidcl1 View Post
es for it, it will capture the condensation until it accumulates enough to spill into the headphone jack and activate the water sensor before it shorts out the damned thing.
The "water sensor" is actually just a strip that changes color depending on the amount of water that has accumulated. If you've gotten enough water inside it to change the strip's color, that's pretty impressive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules