Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Slow! USB data transfer

Slow! USB data transfer
Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2011, 04:58 PM

Hey guys, I was trying to copy about 29MB of files to a crucial gizmo usb drive. I have copied these files before dozens of times and I get standard usb 2 speeds on my MBP and G5s and pretty much everything else. Right now on my MP it's taken about 5 minutes to copy just 20MB of the 29... Directly plugged into the front, and now the 3rd USB drive.

CPU usage is at 86% Idle, .3%User/.24% System. Ram is at 10GB free/12GB. Spotlight is not indexing and I don't have any VMs running, just after a restart.

What the hell is going on?

I can cap a detailed console list, but nothing has happened in the last 5 minutes at all, before the copy it was steam just yelling at me.

Jesse
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 27, 2011, 05:18 PM

Sounds like it's running at USB 1.1 speeds. Try another USB flash drive, see if you get full speeds. And try this drive on the G5.

Googer-Giger  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2011, 05:19 PM

Update: Sorry for the bother, I guess the files were corrupt or something, I just transferred an 85MB file in all of 30 seconds.

Thanks
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 27, 2011, 07:59 PM

I'd agree with your assessment. File copy functions like to error check-if the copied file doesn't match some signature, the function will often try again. And again. Often block by block. I'd call "really slow file transfers" a good indication that the subject files were damaged in any situation.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Googer-Giger  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2011, 09:12 PM

I went to another hard drive where the files were backed up, they transferred fine.

I appreciate speedy responses, especially from mods!

Jesse

Forum Links
Forum Rules