Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Thinking of switching to a windows phone

Thinking of switching to a windows phone
macfantn
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2012, 12:39 AM

I have an iPhone 4, also had the 3g and original iPhone. My power button stopped working so it's a pain to lock the screen, and I can't take screenshots anymore. I also want a larger screen 3.5" doesn't cut it anymore. I know the next iPhone will likely be larger but who knows when it will be released. I imagine July at the earliest.

I really like the look of the Nokia Lumia 900 which is due out in March. I'm a big apple fan owned tons of macs throughout the years and currently own iPad 2, apple tv and macbook pro 13".

Should I make the jump to windows phone or wait for who knows how long for the iPhone 5?
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2012, 12:49 AM

Also does anyone know how well windows mobile 7.5 plays with mac os x.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2012, 01:22 AM

I doubt the next iPhone screen will be significantly larger, but you never know.

I personally just didn't "get" Windows Phone 7 (although I've never tried 7.5), but I've only played with it in the store. Based on that limited experience, if I were to choose a non-iOS phone, I'd probably get an Android 4 phone.

However, I have the iPhone 4, and am waiting for the iPhone 5 or perhaps the 5S or whatever. I expect the 5 to come out this fall.

P
Feb 9, 2012, 04:40 AM

While it's possible that the display on the next iPhone grows slightly (still keeping the outer dimensions constant) it will be a very small boost. Sales numbers for larger phones (mostly Android) have been horrible lately, so everyone is retreating from those idiot large phones.

Best guess for release is September-October.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2012, 09:09 AM

I actually like Windows Phone 7. It's also a more unified experience than Android. It's much more "iPhone like" than what Google produces (IMHO)

No idea how well it plays with the Mac. The next version is supposed to bring back some form of ActiveSync.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2012, 09:10 AM

- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

-Q-
Feb 9, 2012, 11:01 AM

You can even demo Windows 7 Phone from an iPhone:

Windows Phone Demo (Doesn't work in a desktop browser.)

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2012, 01:00 PM

My real concern with Windows Phone 7 is its market share. I'm not going to put money on it happening, but I wouldn't be surprised if M$ pulled the plug on it before too long. They might even take Nokia down with it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2012, 02:12 PM

Windows Phone 7.5 is really, really well-built and polished. I really enjoy using it. The major downsides as I see it are that the app selection is very poor and developers are slow to update to new features of the OS (such as multitasking) and that it's been so slow to gain momentum (though it is happening more quickly in Europe than here).

Also, be aware that if taking screenshots is something you need to do regularly, it's pretty difficult on WP7.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2012, 03:48 PM

The only thing I can see that would prevent Windows Phone 7 from becoming an (eventual) success is Microsoft's idiotic persistence in putting desktop Windows on their tablets. They really NEED to use WinPhone7 on their tablet form-factors.

(They apparently haven't learned anything in a decade of tablet attempts)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2012, 04:05 PM

WP7 was born dead from a marketing perspective, too many years behind. Few phones running WP7 have been sold. Hopefully WP8 will have better success. So far WP8 sounds like a very good smartphone OS, but MS does not make the phones which presents consistency difficulties.

My best guess is that the iPhone 5 (or whatever they call it) will be available in the summer, June 15-Sep 15 time frame like all previous iPhones except for the 4s. I think a visibly larger display will be a choice.

Solid previews of WP8 will also be available this summer. Maybe even as soon as the end of this month with the Win8 Preview Beta. When WP8 phones will be actually available I have no clue but would guess the Sept-Dec 2012 range.

If you want a large non-iOS phone I would avoid WP7 and either wait for WP8 or select a well-supported Android version (if there is such a thing). Some folks (my sister is one) are thrilled with their large Android phones. The droid world is horribly fragmented though, so make sure that you are fully satisfied with your choice as is before you buy it. Do not count on an upgrade to fix any anomalies.

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Feb 9, 2012 at 04:35 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2012, 04:11 PM

Absolutely don't go with Android unless it's a Galaxy Nexus.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2012, 04:26 PM

I could never use Windows Phone 7. The unused space on the right drives me nuts.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2012, 05:54 PM

It's not always unused. It's only like that when you can swipe to the right to access another screen.

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2012, 08:13 PM

Once the Windows phone gets AngryBirds it's considered mainstream

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 10, 2012, 07:34 AM

Windows Phone isn't doing well in the market, which makes it look like a less than ideal choice for a new phone. I would be concerned about support (hardware and software) and the possibility that neither the phone maker nor Microsoft would stay in the game with that particular model long enough to keep it going for the life of the phone. It's like buying an Edsel-great (in that timeframe) styling, cool features, but what will the maintenance and upkeep be like? And the price tag may be a problem too...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2012, 05:14 PM

Moreover what about the Metro interface? I find it just ugly. The opening screen of Windows 8 looks like it is made for young children, I mean like 5 years old. Big colorful tiles simple icons, ideal for junior to learn the concept of poking at something to make things happen. The tiles are of different sizes, which are not arranged in a pleasing, symmetrical fashion, and look jarring. I hate the loss of chrome and background, as in iOS where each app icon floats above a background, giving depth. Metro is flat, both visually and in terms of the pleasure derived from seeing the interplay of shape and color. Eg I use the autumn leaves wallpaper and would miss that richness using Metro. From what I can tell Android is more like iOS in this regard.

That said, when one gets out of the tile stuff and into actually running apps the interface is Windows' best yet, pleasantly uncluttered. But you don't have that option with the phone, Metro is all you get.

Forum Links
Forum Rules