Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Problems installing Windows with Boot Camp.

Problems installing Windows with Boot Camp.
MathiasDK
Sep 25, 2006, 06:04 PM

Hello,

when I try to install Windows XP on my Macbook I get this message from the install assistant:

Your disk cannot be pertitioned because some files cannot be moved.

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format the disk as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

Is there anyway to install Windows (with Boot Camp) without reformatting the complete disk? I dont have any external harddrive to backup.

Help..

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2006, 06:30 PM

I've had this happen before, and I think it happens when you have a few massive (and massively fragmented) files sitting somewhere. The utility just doesn't really know how to handle it. The procedure described by the app will leave you with a fully defragmented drive, and may be your only option (unless you can find and remove the culprit(s)).

Also, how big is your HDD, how much empty space do you have, and how big are you trying to make your Windows partition?

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

MathiasDK  (op)
Sep 25, 2006, 06:36 PM

My harddrive is 60 GB and I only have about 12 free, and I'm going to make a 5G partition for the Windows.

Cant i do anything to "defrag" the disk?

MathiasDK  (op)
Sep 26, 2006, 07:08 AM

Help...anyone?

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by MathiasDK
Help...anyone?
Have you ever had Parallels installed?

It's disk image is somehow 'fixed' to it's spot on the disk (yes you can move it in the directory structure of the disk, but this doesn't change it physical location)

MathiasDK  (op)
Sep 26, 2006, 01:10 PM

I did install Parallels, but erased it again (I even used Spotlight to delete the files it pus everywhere in my libary)

It seems as I have to borrow an external hd to make the windows-stunt..

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by MathiasDK
I did install Parallels, but erased it again (I even used Spotlight to delete the files it pus everywhere in my libary)

It seems as I have to borrow an external hd to make the windows-stunt..
Unfortunately, it looks like it. Just make sure that it has a ton of space left on it!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Forum Links
Forum Rules