Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My Apple Care Experience (Really Bad)

My Apple Care Experience (Really Bad)
Yamcha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2010, 07:54 PM

Hi Guys,

I sent my imac in for repair about one week ago, it had 3 dead pixels, yellow tint & flickering issues.

June 13th
I dropped off my iMac at the Apple Store on June 13th. The person told me it would take 48hrs to repair
June 16th
I called Apple to see if my iMac was ready, I told them that someone had told me 48hrs, he said it usually takes 7 days (told me to wait 7 days from 13th of june)
June 20th
Waited 7 Days.. I call once again to check the status, they tell me it will be done later today or tomorrow at the most.
June 21th
I call again, the person on the phone says it will take a few more days, I told him you guys first said 48hrs, then 7 days, I've done my part, I've waited patiently.. I requested for a refurbished one or new one.. He says he will talk to administration and call me back

I am very disappointed, I have no clue why I even switched to mac, its ridiculous.. we pay premium for Apple products, and yet we can't even get decent service..

I'm going to post this everywhere... until I get my iMac back..

If you guys have any feedback on what I should do that would be great..

Message was edited by: Yamcha67
( Last edited by Yamcha; Jun 21, 2010 at 08:16 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2010, 08:47 PM

A week is a pretty typical wait period, no issue there. The issue that I see is that the guy told you 48 hours. For screen issues, the computer is almost always shipped off to Texas, and there is no way on earth that it'd be back in 48 hours. I would go into the store that you dropped it off with and ask to speak to the person who told you 48 hours. Let him know how long it's been. Generally every time I've had to send off a MBP, it's come back anywhere from 7-10 days.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 21, 2010, 09:00 PM

Talk to the store manager. Tell him/her about how you were told incorrect information and that you're disappointed in the service you've received. That will get his/her attention, get some fire lit under the "genius" guys and the back room guys that do the actual fixing, and maybe get your computer back to you faster.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2010, 10:25 PM

It really depends on the store.

I had a very good warranty experience. The transformer of the screen of my 24" white iMac had developed an annoyingly loud buzz.

Transformer and screen are molded together, so the screen had to be replaced.

I went to a non-Apple store dealer where I had once bought an Apple computer, and the tech was so good to check in my iMac, order the part, and let me take the iMac home with me. When the part arrived, he gave me a call, and I went there, and I could even watch while he exchanged the screen.

Really a great guy. So, I'd say it depends a lot of the person you are dealing with.

PS: the new screen turned out to be much better than the original one. Obviously I had gotten a later generation screen that looked much better than the old one.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2010, 10:28 PM

To Yamcha:

In future, try to find out what has to be done in order to repair your computer.

Then find out what the approximate repair time will be.

Go from there and deal with the person face to face. I have the impression that people working in Apple repair are quite service oriented.

In your case, a glitch may have occurred. Just don't take it personal. Glitches unfortunately happen.

mkerr64
Senior User
Jun 23, 2010, 04:11 PM

my mac pro died on me and it was the 4th year.. i had apple care took it to the store, bought pro care (express repair)
and within a new a day or so they offered me a Brand New Nehalem Mac Pro $0 and also got a replacement Cinema Display.
they sure did make me one happy person that day
R.I.P Steve Jobs

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 23, 2010, 05:44 PM

Whenever I've been to the Apple Store, they've always told me 7 - 10 days, every time, it's been 10 days. That's fine with me. You were given the incorrect information as has been mentioned by others, try and get hold of the store manager.

tonyb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2010, 12:15 PM

I also had a free replacement MacPro during Applecare when they couldn't figure out how to fix a problem - and they were minor problems like the rear audio out jack was inoperative while the front was fine. So I ended up with new (upgraded machines) twice. I wouldn't touch a mac without Applecare based on that experience.

Forum Links
Forum Rules