Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > window border color in Extras.rsrc

window border color in Extras.rsrc
rgoer
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2002, 04:04 PM

With the advent of WindowShade X 2.0 and its window border drawing capabilities, does anybody know if it is possible to edit what color gray the window manager uses to draw the window borders? I'd like to have them black, but I'm not sure if it is possible.
Even Einstein feared the power of "spooky action at a distance"

<woof>
Apr 15, 2002, 05:21 PM

WindowShade X doesn't draw borders, it just shrinks the shadow so it's 1 pixel thick. I think you're out of luck.

brachiator
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2002, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by &lt;woof&gt;:
<STRONG>WindowShade X doesn't draw borders, it just shrinks the shadow so it's 1 pixel thick. I think you're out of luck.</STRONG>
Right, but I think that WS also has the ability to increase the density/darkness of the shadow. If so, it might be possible to max out the density and then do away with the shadow, leaving only the 1 pixel "border", now black.

COuld be but I can't experiment without logging out! Unsanity has, unwisely, in my opinion, built in a 1 hour time-out for unregistered versions -- you have to log in again to get it to work after the 1 hour. Lame.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

rgoer  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2002, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by brachiator:
<STRONG>Unsanity has, unwisely, in my opinion, built in a 1 hour time-out for unregistered versions -- you have to log in again to get it to work after the 1 hour. Lame.</STRONG>
Thanks for the replies... but brachiator, you should really consider just coughing up the seven bones for Unsanity's incredible OS X magic. I've never once regretted registering.
Even Einstein feared the power of "spooky action at a distance"

brachiator
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2002, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by rgoer:
<STRONG>

Thanks for the replies... but brachiator, you should really consider just coughing up the seven bones for Unsanity's incredible OS X magic. I've never once regretted registering.</STRONG>
I probably will, even though it does not yet kill the shadows in the menubar, and keep the pixel border (yes, I've emailed Unsanity about this...)

What I don't like is a time-out that makes the s/w onerous to even test out on my machine. I don't really have an hour to devote, straight, to playing with their software, but like everything else I try to fit it in a couple of minutes at a go, in between the actual work I am doing.

Hopefully, they will be responsive to my complaint on general customer happiness grounds, because I don't intend to exercise any market pressure on them in response to the lame time-out... i.e., not buy their product.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

<Methyglyn>
Apr 16, 2002, 06:30 PM

C'mon, $7.00 to support a great and responsive shareware product is pretty small... That what, a few beer, or close to a half a coffee at starbuck If the 1 hour time thing is an issue think of it this way: How much do you make an hour? How many minutes does it take for you to earn $7.00 -- If it is so good that you want to use it more than one hour, shouldn't you cough up the $7 so that there are future versions and other cool haxies?

Cheers

<STRONG>

Hopefully, they will be responsive to my complaint on general customer happiness grounds, because I don't intend to exercise any market pressure on them in response to the lame time-out... i.e., not buy their product.</STRONG>

brachiator
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2002, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Methyglyn&gt;:
<STRONG>C'mon, $7.00 to support a great and responsive shareware product is pretty small... That what, a few beer, or close to a half a coffee at starbuck If the 1 hour time thing is an issue think of it this way: How much do you make an hour? How many minutes does it take for you to earn $7.00 -- If it is so good that you want to use it more than one hour, shouldn't you cough up the $7 so that there are future versions and other cool haxies?

Cheers

</STRONG>
I think that 3 years of law school have made me less understandable, not more clear.

What I meant by "I don't intend to exercise market pressure on" Unsanity was that I didn't intend to NOT register the app, just because I was annoyed by the time-out. SInce I wasn't going to not buy, they would have no reason to ever change the time out -- I already bought, right, they already had me. So I hoped that they would just alter the time-out in pursuit of keeping customers like me happy, in general.

That said, I registered WS X days ago. Well, at least hours ago. I've got a g3 Lombard 333, and the shadows must go! (with border...) am hoping that they manage to kill the shadows (with borders) on the menus by 2.1...

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2002, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by &lt;woof&gt;:
<STRONG>WindowShade X doesn't draw borders, it just shrinks the shadow so it's 1 pixel thick. I think you're out of luck.</STRONG>

I don't think that's right. The option in WindowShadeX for a border seems to be totally seperate from the shadow settings. You can have both a border and a big blurry shadow so how can you say the shadow is shrunk to one pixel?

I'd like the border to be a color too! I think a bright red line around each window would look HOT! Or am I just giving Steve more reason to limit GUI customization?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

<no>
Apr 17, 2002, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by John Tewksbury:
<STRONG>
I don't think that's right. The option in WindowShadeX for a border seems to be totally seperate from the shadow settings. You can have both a border and a big blurry shadow so how can you say the shadow is shrunk to one pixel?</STRONG>
Set density to 100% and spread to about 1.2 and set the offsets to 0. Note that it looks exactly the same. Now using Pixie (if you have dev tools) notice that around the rounded edges of tunes and quicktime player the border is more than 1px thick, it acts just like a 1px shadow would (i.e it's anti-aliased). This makes sense since it would be very hard (i think) to be able to write a system that could draw borders around a window of any shape based on info Quartz dishes out (it would also be slower). Furthermore, WindowShade does not add any functionality at the system level, it only modifies window manager settings elegantly, so it couldn't draw a border even if it knew how.

How does it do both a shadow and a border? My guess it just modifies the window manager settings to give each window two shadows (although honestly i don't know if the window server allows that). Or maybe it creates an invisible window with a visible shadow that gets overlayed over the normal window? Quartz debug says no, and besides this would probally lead to a "disconnected" behavior with the shadow.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2002, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by &lt;no&gt;:
<STRONG> How does it do both a shadow and a border? My guess ...</STRONG>
My guess is that borders were written into the OS and they somehow enabled them, but I don't really know anything about computers. Is that possible?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2002, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by John Tewksbury:
<STRONG>

My guess is that borders were written into the OS and they somehow enabled them, but I don't really know anything about computers. Is that possible?</STRONG>
If it were in the prefs or something.. which it isn't...

no: I seriously doubt that it is actually doing this "cleanly". i.e. talking to the Window Manager directly. Cocoa is really flexible, all of the behaviors are built in, that's why Cocoa apps are so consistent. However ALL of these behaviors are visible to the developer, so he can easily override them and replace them with whatever he has, my guess is that he just removed the shadow (this can be done built-in) and drew on the shadow. And then he had it pose as system-wide.

However, I am not certain and don't know how they truly do it. So I could be talking out of my ass.. :shrug:

mattstoton
Senior User
Apr 18, 2002, 06:44 AM

I'm pretty sure they simply modified the values for the shadow. Making anything go system-wide (carbon/cocoa) isn't easy.
New sig coming soon. Yes, it will violate the sig guidelines :p

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Apr 18, 2002, 06:51 AM

The window border is visible when you drag a window over a classic window, and that's why it's there in the first place. It's not a pxm resource.

Maybe they'll add an option to change the color in the future, if it's possible..

kent m
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2002, 08:37 AM

or buy it. :-)

~K

-

<STRONG>Unsanity has, unwisely, in my opinion, built in a 1 hour time-out for unregistered versions -- you have to log in again to get it to work after the 1 hour. Lame.</STRONG>

kent m is not a member of any public groups

slava
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2002, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by rgoer:
<STRONG>With the advent of WindowShade X 2.0 and its window border drawing capabilities, does anybody know if it is possible to edit what color gray the window manager uses to draw the window borders? I'd like to have them black, but I'm not sure if it is possible.</STRONG>
In fact the standard window shadows in MacOS X come with a window border too, so WindowShade X 2.0 doesn't draws anything on its own. If you look closely at the window with the custom shadow settings disabled, it will still have the border drawn, although its not easily noticable being partially masked up by similar shadow's colors.

As for menu shadows, we're looking into making this possible for the future versions of WindowShade X -- and thank you for all your comments and suggestions.
// slava@unsanity

Forum Links
Forum Rules