Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Hot Take: Anthem outrage is nothing more than right-wing political correctness

Hot Take: Anthem outrage is nothing more than right-wing political correctness
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2017, 12:11 PM

...and that's being generous; It assumes you're not already opposed to either what is being protested or who is doing it.

Further, those who support forcing players to stand are asking for forced patriotism, and I'm not really sure to what end.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2017, 12:39 PM

While ON THE JOB their bosses and coaches CAN tell them what to do. Free speech is not an issue. If the NFL loses sponsors, ratings and that tax break, the players may end up needing summer jobs. This is just more of the lefts "RACE CARD DELUXE" ploy.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2017, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
While ON THE JOB their bosses and coaches CAN tell them what to do. Free speech is not an issue. If the NFL loses sponsors, ratings and that tax break, the players may end up needing summer jobs.
Congrats, that has nothing to with what I said.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2017, 02:35 PM

Plus their bosses seem to be ok with it now. Presumably because someone explained it to them and they aren't buying the anti-patriot BS any more.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2017, 11:44 AM

That's quite an assumption. Their bosses are stuck between teams of fussy, millionaire prima donnas and the billionaire, head primma donna-in-chief, at least if they go with their teams they'll get their teams to play on Sunday (even if it is to half-filled stadiums in front of smaller TV audiences). It's shit all around, and most ironically, the guy who started this crap doesn't even play the game anymore.

The real losers in this are the fans who just want to watch the games, but the NFL has needed to be deflated for a while now, it was getting far too big for its britches.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2017, 12:13 PM

Why has it taken this long for me to realize he's a primadonnald?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2017, 12:52 PM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 11, 2017, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
...and that's being generous; It assumes you're not already opposed to either what is being protested or who is doing it.

Further, those who support forcing players to stand are asking for forced patriotism, and I'm not really sure to what end.
Policing to make sure you use the right words, phrases, and actions in order to not disrespect a disadvantaged group? Sure sounds like political correctness to me.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2017, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
the guy who started this crap doesn't even play the game anymore.

Not by choice though is it? The guy can't win with the likes of you. If he keeps his job he's an ungrateful scumbag who should shut up and be grateful he has his multi-million salary, if he sacrifices his career (which I'm lead to understand was a fairly impressive one or at least potentially so) he's just an irrelevant scumbag who started some shit and ran away.

Kaepernick is an absolute hero. He used his platform and risked a hell of a lot (which he lost) to bring much needed awareness to an unforgivable social problem. He came up with a protest that was as respectful as it could possibly be and we all know the real reason he's been shredded for it.

People should be replacing those confederate monuments with statues of Colin Kaepernick taking a knee.

The real losers in this are the fans who just want to watch the games, but the NFL has needed to be deflated for a while now, it was getting far too big for its britches.
Yes the real losers are the ignorant, privileged middle Americans who are massively inconvenienced by the two minute pose adopted by a few dozen guys before the start of an event they paid to see. Not the 12% of your population who live in a police state.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2017, 06:30 PM

There's nothing wrong to me about them kneeling. There's also nothing wrong about their employers requiring them to stand. I don't think them kneeling during the pledge in any way supports the social injustice warriors de-jour. They should just spend some of their millions on the cause instead.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 11, 2017, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
I don't think them kneeling during the pledge in any way supports the social injustice warriors de-jour. They should just spend some of their millions on the cause instead.
What if, stay with me here, they did both?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2017, 10:00 PM

Geez, your post was a mess of inaccuracies (and BS).

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Not by choice though is it? The guy can't win with the likes of you. If he keeps his job he's an ungrateful scumbag who should shut up and be grateful he has his multi-million salary, if he sacrifices his career (which I'm lead to understand was a fairly impressive one or at least potentially so) he's just an irrelevant scumbag who started some shit and ran away.
Kaepernick's career was already circling the crapper when he started all this, with talk of him being cut long before he ever started the "take a knee" stunt. So while it likely did ruin the slim possibility he'd get picked up by another team as a developmental player, making just above league minimum, his pro career was already over.

You really don't know anything about the guy, do you?

Kaepernick is an absolute hero. He used his platform and risked a hell of a lot (which he lost) to bring much needed awareness to an unforgivable social problem. He came up with a protest that was as respectful as it could possibly be and we all know the real reason he's been shredded for it.
Hero? For a publicity stunt that targeted people (military vets) who never deserved his disrespect in the first place? He's a half-wit who didn't even understand who he should have been protesting.

People should be replacing those confederate monuments with statues of Colin Kaepernick taking a knee.
AHAHAHAHAHA! That would make the nutty Regressives proud, wouldn't it?

Yes the real losers are the ignorant, privileged middle Americans who are massively inconvenienced by the two minute pose adopted by a few dozen guys before the start of an event they paid to see. Not the 12% of your population who live in a police state.
Police state? Man, you're entirely off, now. You drank ALL the kool-aid. If anything, it's the other way around, the police have entirely left the black communities, and now crime has gone through the roof. More blacks are killed by other blacks in a given week in Chicago alone, than are killed by police in an entire year throughout the country. Not that Kaepernick would know, he grew up in a wealthy family and would have lived a "life of privilege" even without the NFL.
( Last edited by Cap'n Tightpants; Oct 11, 2017 at 10:12 PM. )

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2017, 10:05 PM

That's a great question. Want to bet the majority of the ones kneeling don't financially support any organizations to aid inner cities? They kneel to look like they have street cred, but won't give a cent to do anything about the situation.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2017, 11:05 PM

Hero? For a publicity stunt that targeted people (military vets) who never deserved his disrespect in the first place? He's a half-wit who didn't even understand who he should have been protesting.
Targeted military vets? Now thats some BS there. And you wonder why we keep accusing you of getting your information from Infowars and the like.
I heard his explanation and it had nothing to do with veterans. Why would it?

AHAHAHAHAHA! That would make the nutty Regressives proud, wouldn't it?
I suspect it would pop a few blood vessels.

Police state? Man, you're entirely off, now. You drank ALL the kool-aid. If anything, it's the other way around, the police have entirely left the black communities, and now crime has gone through the roof. More blacks are killed by other blacks in a given week in Chicago alone, than are killed by police in an entire year throughout the country. Not that Kaepernick would know, he grew up in a wealthy family and would have lived a "life of privilege" even without the NFL.
I'd rather drink the Kool-aid that might result in things getting better for people than the ignorant racist crap you prefer to swig by the gallon.
More black people die of starvation in Africa than are shot by US cops too, doesn't mean that too damn many aren't still being shot. I'll can't wait to see how you completely misunderstand this point though, you've been doing so well with logical comparisons lately.

If the privileged Mr. Kaepernick wouldn't know, then why we would ever believe that you might? Every opinion you ever have is dripping with privilege.
( Last edited by Waragainstsleep; Oct 12, 2017 at 06:33 AM. )

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2017, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Targeted military vets? Now thats some BS there. And you wonder why we keep accusing you of getting your information from Infowars and the like.
I heard his explanation and it had nothing to do with veterans. Why would it?
That's the point, duh? He stupidly thought he was kneeling over cops, but all he ended up doing was disrespecting veterans... who are the entire reason we stand for the anthem and present the flag in the first place. You are obsessed with Alex Jones though, maybe YOU should stop watching him? I'll bet you watch the guy just so you can get angry and yell at your screen, don't you? Don't you?

I suspect it would pop a few blood vessels.
No doubt, given he's done nothing but cause division and more racial tension.

I'd rather drink the Kool-aid that might result in things getting better for people than the ignorant racist crap you prefer to swig by the gallon.
You're the closest thing to a racist in this discussion, you live by the bigotry of low expectations. You have so much disrespect for blacks that you believe they can't help themselves.

More black people die of starvation in Africa than are shot by US cops too, doesn't mean that too damn many aren't still being shot. I'll can't wait to see how you completely misunderstand this point though, you've been doing so well with logical comparisons lately.
Funny, given that you don't understand logic, at all. Geez, man. By USAG investigation, 99% of police shootings involving blacks in the USA are entirely justified and are in self-defense. Now, that last 1% is completely regrettable, those officers need to be imprisoned, where we send the people they arrested. But that completely pales in comparison to what blacks do to each other on a daily basis, murdering one another by the dozens in this country on any given day. They represent 13% of the population, yet commit half the murders in the country. https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...decoverviewpdf

If the privileged Mr. Kaepernick wouldn't know, then we would ever believe that you might?
Being financially privileged doesn't mean he's intelligent (and by his actions it's clear he's lacking there).

Every opinion you ever have is dripping with privilege.
What's your excuse, you just seem to be nothing more than a repository for Left-wing, Marxist propaganda.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2017, 06:52 AM

That's the point, duh? He stupidly thought he was kneeling over cops, but all he ended up doing was disrespecting veterans... who are the entire reason we stand for the anthem and present the flag in the first place. You are obsessed with Alex Jones though, maybe YOU should stop watching him? I'll bet you watch the guy just so you can get angry and yell at your screen, don't you? Don't you?
I'm pretty sure he knows a lot better than you what he does anything that he does. Ironic given how many times you've gone off on me for claiming to know what other people are thinking.
As for Jones, you stop quoting him, I'll stop noticing it.

No doubt, given he's done nothing but cause division and more racial tension.
No, the people causing it are the ones reacting badly and disingenuously like you. All those folks pretending to be irritated that he's disrupting their sport, which he isn't or claiming he's being disrespectful which he isn't. What they really mean is they don't like the point he's making and they want him to shut up so they don't have to hear about it or do anything about it. Which means he's achieving his goal.

You're the closest thing to a racist in this discussion, you live by the bigotry of low expectations. You have so much disrespect for blacks that you believe they can't help themselves.
You know that old bullying move where you someone grabs your arm and hits you with your own hand while asking "Why are you hitting yourself?" repeatedly?

Funny, given that you don't understand logic, at all. Geez, man. By USAG investigation, 99% of police shootings involving blacks in the USA are entirely justified and are in self-defense. Now, that last 1% is completely regrettable, those officers need to be imprisoned, where we send the people they arrested.
Guessing by definition that 99% includes all the cops who are unbelievably found not guilty when they shoot people, so not really very helpful or enlightening.

But that completely pales in comparison to what blacks do to each other on a daily basis, murdering one another by the dozens in this country on any given day. They represent 13% of the population, yet commit half the murders in the country. https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...decoverviewpdf

Being financially privileged doesn't mean he's intelligent (and by his actions it's clear he's lacking there).
He had a 4.0 GPA, I understand thats decent but you undermine his intelligence and assume that his presumably wealthy white adoptive parents mean that he never experienced any kind of prejudice growing up which just shows the depth of your despicable ignorance.

What's your excuse, you just seem to be nothing more than a repository for Left-wing, Marxist propaganda.
Excuse for what? I'm not the one acting like a dick so I don't need an excuse.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2017, 07:48 PM

Seams counter productive to insult the very people you're spending money to try and influence.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2017, 08:03 AM

Congrats, that has nothing to with what I said.
You had a strawman.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 13, 2017, 09:14 AM

You had a strawman.
Elaborate.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2017, 12:21 PM

Elaborate.

This one's pretty elaborate.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 13, 2017, 12:45 PM

What?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 13, 2017, 12:46 PM

You had a strawman.
Actually since I didn't mention free speech, jobs or the NFL I'm pretty sure you're the one with the straw man.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2017, 01:11 PM

What?
It's a pun.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2017, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
It's a pun.
How ironic!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 16, 2017, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Seams counter productive to insult the very people you're spending money to try and influence.
You'll have to diagram that for me, because I don't follow.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 23, 2018, 05:45 PM

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...-anthem-policy
ATLANTA -- NFL owners have unanimously approved a new national anthem policy that requires players to stand if they are on the field during the performance but gives them the option to remain in the locker room if they prefer, it was announced Wednesday.

The policy subjects teams to a fine if a player or any other team personnel do not show respect for the anthem. That includes any attempt to sit or kneel, as dozens of players have done during the past two seasons to protest racial inequality and police brutality. Those teams also will have the option to fine any team personnel, including players, for the infraction.
Jets owner goin' for some social media love
https://nypost.com/2018/05/23/jets-b...esting-anthem/
Jets Chairman and CEO Christopher Johnson said the team would support players who might choose to kneel anyway, and not issue any team fines.

“I plan to sit in the very near term with Coach (Todd) Bowles and our players to discuss today’s decision regarding the National Anthem,” Johnson said in a statement.

“As I have in the past, I will support our players wherever we land as a team. Our focus is not on imposing any Club rules, fines, or restrictions. Instead we will continue to work closely with our players to constructively advance social justice issues that are important to us. I remain extremely proud of how we demonstrated unity last season as well as our players’ commitment to strengthening our communities.”
How is Trump taking it?
https://twitter.com/johnrobertsFox/s...01327804502016
.@realDonaldTrump tells @foxandfriends @kilmeade he's happy about the NFL owners decision, but isn't happy that @NFL gave players of riding out the anthem in the locker room.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2018, 06:01 PM

^^^

This and the ongoing collusion among NFL owners to deny Colin Kaepernick a place in the NFL for no other reason than his protests is plenty of reason for me to continue to not watch.

OAW

reader50
Administrator
May 23, 2018, 09:57 PM

ATLANTA -- NFL owners have unanimously approved a new national anthem policy that requires players to stand if they are on the field during the performance ...
Anyone know if this is literally true, or does it work like Speaker of the House elections? Where they vote along party lines. Then vote unanimously to alter the vote record, to show the Speaker was elected unanimously.

If it's literally true, not a single team owner objected, that would be very disturbing. And altering voting records is itself disturbing. Come to think of it, this announcement contains nothing good.

Players who don't want to have their patriotism forced can solve it - by hiding in the locker room. The whole point of a visible protest is to be visibly seen protesting. Convenient removal of objections to an out-of-sight location doesn't count as a protest.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2018, 03:22 AM

I read at least one abstained.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2018, 06:28 AM

I thought I heard BBC radio report that teams where players knelt would be fined. If that were true then it seems like a great way to hit the owners in the wallet until they relent.

Thorzdad
May 24, 2018, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Players who don't want to have their patriotism forced can solve it - by hiding in the locker room. The whole point of a visible protest is to be visibly seen protesting. Convenient removal of objections to an out-of-sight location doesn't count as a protest.
Of course, if a large enough part of a team (or key, high-profile players) remains in the locker room, their absence on the field will be pretty obvious.

This was such an unnecessary and divisive thing to do. But, the NFL owners have never shown themselves to be the sharpest crayons in the box.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2018, 07:42 PM

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-nfl...050421636.html
Four months into quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s 2017 free agency and heading into intensified criticism from President Donald Trump over player protests, the NFL used a Washington consulting firm to ask Americans whether Kaepernick should have been signed by a team, according to sources familiar with the league’s research.

Sources noted that Kaepernick was the only player singled out in the research for specific opinions, which were then compiled and sent to various league officials, including commissioner Roger Goodell and several other high-ranking executives.

The poll could create a significant point of contention in Kaepernick’s collusion complaint against the NFL, raising the question of why the league conducted opinion research with its fan base about the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback. The existence of polling data on Kaepernick could also raise the question of whether the research went beyond high-ranking NFL executives to ownership groups or other team personnel who could have signed the quarterback.
According to sources, the NFL approved research that sought two pieces of information: Whether Americans believed Kaepernick should have been signed by an NFL team; and given that Kaepernick remained a free agent, whether fans believed that was because he refused to stand for the national anthem or due to his on-field performance or other reasons.

The sources said the poll also explored overall attitudes toward the potential disciplining of players who refused to stand for the anthem in protest over racial and social inequalities. That data was then divided into multiple demographics, sources said, including whites, African-Americans and Latinos, Democrats, Republicans and independents, and Baby Boomers, Generation Xers and Millennials.

The sources declined to share specific numbers, but said the poll revealed a deep racial, political and generational division when it came to player protests. Specifically, divisions in which a majority of white NFL fans supported disciplining players for not standing for the anthem versus a majority of the NFL’s African-American and Latino fans who didn’t. The sources also said a majority of Republican NFL fans supported the disciplining of players versus a majority of Democrats who didn’t, and a majority of Baby Boomer NFL fans significantly supported discipline more than both Generation Xers and Millennials.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2018, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Anyone know if this is literally true, or does it work like Speaker of the House elections? Where they vote along party lines. Then vote unanimously to alter the vote record, to show the Speaker was elected unanimously.

If it's literally true, not a single team owner objected, that would be very disturbing. And altering voting records is itself disturbing. Come to think of it, this announcement contains nothing good.

Good instincts, reader
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/repor...185146376.html
“Sources in the room told me there was no official vote for the anthem resolution,” Wickersham tweeted. “League execs polled owners and knew how they’d vote but didn’t hold an official vote, atypical for such a major resolution.”

In a subsequent post, Wickersham wrote that one of the most eloquent speakers on social justice issues was Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis, and that Davis, like York, also abstained from voting.

Last year, Davis admitted in an interview with ESPN reporter Paul Gutierrez that while he initially didn’t want Raiders players to protest, the national climate around such issues led him to change his mind.

But if there was no formal vote, what did Davis and York abstain from? And why did commissioner Roger Goodell say there was a “unanimous” vote?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 26, 2018, 04:31 PM

Thorzdad
May 26, 2018, 06:31 PM

Pete King can kiss my old white butt. Twice.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 26, 2018, 08:44 PM

I think he was trying to do his best Trump impression.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 5, 2018, 12:01 AM

What a thin-skinned baby.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 10, 2018, 05:33 PM

Stick to sports? Cardinals' support of Supreme Court nominee shows NFL's hypocrisy

I'm sure lots of conservative fans and commentators will chastise the owner for using his team as a platform.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2018, 06:06 PM

I’ve never felt compelled to ask this question until now.

But what does Ja Rule think?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 11, 2018, 09:24 AM

And is X gon' give it to ya?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2018, 03:15 AM

1) Hire PR team to fix image
2) Get on conference call
3) Really? Really?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 3, 2018, 07:44 PM

BREAKING: Nike had been paying Colin Kaepernick all along, waiting for the right moment. That moment is now, as he becomes the face of the company’s 30th anniversary of the “Just Do It” campaign.
This seems like genius by Nike to me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules