Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > airport and vpn

airport and vpn
1lowbob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2002, 08:19 PM

I have a graphite airport that supports a mac a pc and a linux box. On the pc I have recently installed a vpn client to allow me to tunnel into my work network. I have tried tunneling in using 40 and 128 bit encryption and tried updating the firmware on the airport with the 2.0.4 update for OS 9.2.1. (I am not yet running OSX). None of these efforts yielded results.

Has anyone had an experience similar to this? Is there anything I can do to get the graphite airport to allow a pc based vpn tunnel connection?

Any advice/help is appreciated.

Camelot
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 01:16 AM

and the type of VPN you're using is...?
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

1lowbob  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2002, 04:10 PM

I can only speak to the client, which is Nortel Networks Contivity VPN client. I have found some documentation that says that the Contivity VPN and graphite airport don't work, so I think I'm out of luck here.

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 07:14 PM

the thing is, i'm not sure how would VPN work over airport in the first place...I've tried VPN5000 over Airport on OS X.1 (and the VPN5000 client works on Jaguar) and wasn't able to get it to work...upon pondering why, here's something interesting to think 'bout...maybe someone can answer it for me, or maybe i'll find out in the early stage of my senior ee project described in another thread...we'll see

if airport is set on bridging, since you only get 1 VPN IP, which one gets it? if your computer gets the virtual IP (most likely case), since your airport is on another IP, and data is bridged over, it appears to be not on the VPN network on the other side. Same problem if Airport is set to be a router...so it doesn't help a bit...

If airport gets it, then that'd require airport to support all sort of different VPN protocals, user have to able to select it somehow, and the virtual IP has to be processed somehow...assuming your network WILL assign you 2 virtual IPs to begin with...

I dunno, i'm all confused...so when i need to VPN, I just connect my laptop to the LAN via RJ45...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Camelot
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by Evangellydonut:
the thing is, i'm not sure how would VPN work over airport in the first place...I've tried VPN5000 over Airport on OS X.1 (and the VPN5000 client works on Jaguar) and wasn't able to get it to work...upon pondering why, here's something interesting to think 'bout...maybe someone can answer it for me, or maybe i'll find out in the early stage of my senior ee project described in another thread...we'll see

if airport is set on bridging, since you only get 1 VPN IP, which one gets it? if your computer gets the virtual IP (most likely case), since your airport is on another IP, and data is bridged over, it appears to be not on the VPN network on the other side. Same problem if Airport is set to be a router...so it doesn't help a bit...

If airport gets it, then that'd require airport to support all sort of different VPN protocals, user have to able to select it somehow, and the virtual IP has to be processed somehow...assuming your network WILL assign you 2 virtual IPs to begin with...

I dunno, i'm all confused...so when i need to VPN, I just connect my laptop to the LAN via RJ45...
In the Cisco VPN case, there's an option called 'NAT Transparency' which, when enabled, runs the VPN tunnel over a NAT-compatible connection.

The NAT device (in your case, the AirPort Base Station) maintains the address translation tables enabling the VPN to work properly.

However, Cisco's VPN 5000 can not maintain multiple VPN tunnels to the same IP address, meaning that only one user at a time may maintain a VPN connection. When the second user connects, the first user will lose his/her connection.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules