Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Media AWOL in Noting Irony of Bush's Flight

Media AWOL in Noting Irony of Bush's Flight
thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2003, 08:33 PM

Media AWOL in Noting Irony of Bush's Flight
by Eric Zorn
_

So much for that myth--the cynical distortion that has become conventional wisdom in many circles. During the presidential campaign of 2000, it started going around that Texas Gov. George W. Bush, then the leading Republican candidate, had significant gaps in his military record.

Specifically, that Bush failed to report for duty for an entire year toward the end of his hitch with the Texas Air National Guard.

The short version: In May 1968 the silver-spoon son of a U.S. congressman jumped to the top of a long waiting list despite mediocre scores on his pilot-aptitude test and was allowed to enlist in the Guard, a common way to avoid being drafted into combat in Vietnam.

In May 1972 he sought a transfer from Houston, where he flew F-102s on weekends, to a unit in Montgomery, Ala. There, he worked on the U.S. Senate campaign of a friend of his father's and, records indicate, blew off his military obligations.

Bush failed to take his annual flight physical in 1972 so Guard officials grounded him, the story went. He never flew again and received an early discharge to go to graduate school. His final officer-efficiency report from May 1973 noted only that supervisors hadn't seen him or heard from him.

Bush's campaign biography obscured or misrepresented these details. In the summer and fall of 2000, his spokesmen offered various and evolving explanations for what Democrats said represented a far bigger "character issue" than any of the windy exaggerations of their candidate, Vice President Al Gore.

"If he is elected president, how will he be able to deal as commander in chief with someone who goes AWOL, when he did the same thing?" Nebraska Sen. Bob Kerrey said to the Boston Globe, where veteran investigative reporter Walter V. Robinson, a former Army intelligence officer, wrote several major stories on the subject. "This stinks."

Yes, but like Bush at the end of his hitch, it didn't fly. A search of all news publications and programs archived in the LexisNexis database for the last seven months of the 2000 campaign found 114 stories referencing Bush, the Texas Air National Guard and Alabama. Over that same span, nearly 10 times that many stories--1,076 to be exact--referenced Al Gore and the expression "invented the internet," an allusion to the bogus charge then haunting Gore that he had wildly inflated his role in the online revolution.

The "Bush AWOL?" story appeared in this newspaper and was based on good reporting and still-unanswered questions. It faded away--a scant 14 mentions in the database for all of 2001 and 2002 due to the age of the allegations, the lack of any new developments and the urgency of current events.

Last week, though, the president all but wore a "Kick Me!" sticker on the back of his flight suit when he decided to land on the deck of the USS Abraham Lincoln in the co-pilot's seat of an S-3B Viking jet.

Imagine the derisive merriment in the columns and on the chat shows if former President Bill Clinton revived the skirt-chasing issue by touring a sorority house or if Gore delivered a lecture to the engineers at Netscape Communications Corp. Think of the snickering and the sardonic rehash of history.

But for Bush in flyboy attire, a discreet silence. The only voices I encountered raising this issue were David Corn in the Nation; Newsday columnist Jimmy Breslin, who asked, "Tell me if you ever heard of anybody with as powerful a resistance to shame as Bush"; and talk station WLS-AM's token progressives Nancy Skinner and Ski Anderson, who spent a full hour Sunday afternoon savoring the irony of it all.

There was no relentless examination of the damning timeline on cable news outlets, no interviewing the commanders who swear Bush didn't show up where he was supposed to, no sit-downs with the veterans who have offered still-unclaimed cash rewards to anyone who can prove that Bush did anything at all in the Guard during his last months before discharge.

So much for the cynical distortion that has become conventional wisdom in many circles. So much for the myth of the "liberal media."
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

The Mick
Senior User
May 6, 2003, 10:07 PM

Meh.
It's over, the electoral college and the Supreme Court have spoken for us. I was bringing this to people's attention any chance I had back in '00, unfortunately that dog didn't hunt and now he's hitching rides on my military hardware. Bush had no problem campaigning on a platform of higher moral standings, yet he was arrested in Houston for cocaine posession, used his family influence to dodge the draft, skipped out of his military obligations, drove under the influence, and is an admitted reformed alcoholic. On top of that he has been investigated for insider trading and plowed his own oil company into the ground.

All of these sad facts aside, the public didn't care. All Bush had to say was "I never said I was perfect." and it's all okay. I guess that fixes everything. No wait, he found God, and that fixes everything.

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 10:38 PM

and is an admitted reformed alcoholic.

I'm failing to see how prior faults of his since rectified have anything to do what he campaigned on (against a party whose president was impeached for blowing a load on an intern.)
"Americans love their country and fear their government. Liberals love their government and fear the people."

""Gun control is a band-aid, feeling good approach to the nation's crime problem. It is easier for politicians to ban something than it is to condemn a murderer to death or a robber to life in prison. In essence, 'gun control' is the coward's way out.""

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2003, 12:12 AM

Let's discuss Bill Clinton's military career.

OK, done.

pooka
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 12:16 AM

Atleast Bush didn't give an M249 a blowjob in the oval office.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2003, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by nvaughan3:
. . . (against a party whose president was impeached for blowing a load on an intern.)
Well, if I you're gonna get impeached, it might as well be for a good cause.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 7, 2003, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by zigzag:
Well, if I you're gonna get impeached, it might as well be for a good cause.
Getting impeached for getting a sloppy BJ by somefat ugly chick is a good cause?

I mean at least Kennedy had some taste.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2003, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Getting impeached for getting a sloppy BJ by somefat ugly chick is a good cause?

I mean at least Kennedy had some taste.
It was just a stab at humor based on nvaughan's amusingly graphic description. I'll try to be more precise next time.

pooka
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by zigzag:
It was just a stab at humor based on nvaughan's amusingly graphic description. I'll try to be more precise next time.
Nah, your posts usually give me a good chuckle. You occasionally get a quirt outta meh. My nurse hates but I luv ya

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Zimphire
Baninated
May 7, 2003, 01:44 AM

Anyhow, that wasn't why Clinton was being impeached.

Why does people keep saying that? :/

I think it had more to do with him lying under oath to save his own ass, and make the very people he was serving out to be liars.

Forum Links
Forum Rules