Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Comic Books (Again)

Comic Books (Again)
kevlar_soul
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2007, 03:47 PM

My apologies if this has been posted before and to death. But, will DL2 have support for comic books? most of mine have bar codes and ISSN numbers, so they could be cataloged. I'm desperate for a program that will run on a Mac!

if not, anyone else have any ideas?

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2007, 03:49 AM

From what I've read, Comic books have a generic barcode that isn't unique to each issue. So instead of scanning the barcode and getting "New X-men #43, The Return of Magneto" (Or whatever,) you just get "New X-Men". Plus, there is a significant lack of cover art from an easy to query database such as Amazon.
Linkinus is king.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2007, 10:18 AM

Great idea!!! I have a couple of boxes of comics from when I was a kid that could be cataloged and organized!
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

clyd3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2007, 01:01 AM

IntelliScanner has an app in the works that will scan and catalog your comics. They also offer a companion barcode scanner which I'm guessing will be a package deal. That'll of course up the price a bit. I have several hundred books and I currently have them cataloged in collectorz.com's Comic Collector. It's Windows only so I run it under Parallels. It will be nice to have something native to use. Expected ship of the new app is April.

IntelliScanner Comic Collector

--
Clyd3

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2007, 11:44 AM

I was looking at that. It looks like you have to do a manual search on a custom database, then print a barcode for your comic and organize them that way. At worst, a pain in the butt, at best an example of the kind of outside-the-box thinking you need to deal with comics. In reality, somewhere between the two. I don't think that's the right solution, but I don't collect comics—I've always just waited for the trade paperback—so I don't know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules