Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > delete?

delete?
aged
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2008, 08:11 PM

Am I just missing this? If I'm looking at an item on a shelf, not in the library proper, there seems to be no way to delete it from the library. Command-option-delete, or some such.

MDNZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2008, 06:46 AM

Good point, however it is the same behaviour as a playlist in iTunes. Agree a keyboard combination could delete the item, or prompt whether you want to remove from shelf or delete from library.

aged  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2008, 07:14 AM

Here's the situation. I organized almost 300 books, printed out a an inventory list, then gave the books to charity. Now I'd like to delete those books from DL, but it seems I'd have to find each one of them in the larger library to be able to do so. To be honest, they'll sit in that "charity" shelf for a long time if I have to delete them one by one.

cchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2008, 09:22 AM

I submitted this problem (not being able to edit multiple items in a shelf) as a bug report last month. I haven't had a reply back on it with a workaround, so I'm assuming it's a valid bug they'll fix eventually. (Probably early next year considering I've submitted 34 bug reports since March and they've closed 9 of them so far.)
You can be honorable or you can make money.
--slogan of The Delicious Generation

Gord Lacey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2008, 05:39 PM

Aged, how about selecting all the titles on the shelf, change the name to "delete" and then go back to library, search for "delete" and they should all appear. It's a bit of a workaround, but it should allow you to easily delete the books in just a few quick steps.

Gord

absenthanded
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2008, 09:26 PM

The Monsters have exposed what I'm finding to be a very rich dictionary. Perhaps they did so with the hope that users would explore it and help each other out with useful scripts.

However, having said that, I still offer up this script with a large helping of caution. This one makes me nervous. If you decide to use it make sure you've read it and understand it. Personally, I backed up my library before letting it rip. Make sure that the shelf you want to delete all items from is the only shelf you've selected before running this.

Just drop this into "/Users/<login name>/Library/Scripts/Applications/Delicious Library 2/" via your Script Editor. After you restart DL2, it will show up in DL2's AppleScript menu.

(I still can't figure out how to get "Code:" from showing up at the top of the script when I post to the forums. Don't copy that first line.)

Code:
tell first document of application "Delicious Library 2" set SelectedShelves to selected shelves repeat with SelectedShelf in SelectedShelves set ShelfName to SelectedShelf's name set dialogResult to display dialog "Are you sure you want to delete the shelf \"" & ShelfName & "\" and all it's contents?" buttons {"No", "Yes"} default button "No" with icon caution if button returned of dialogResult is "Yes" then set ItemsToDelete to SelectedShelf's media repeat with ItemToDelete in ItemsToDelete delete ItemToDelete end repeat delete SelectedShelf end if end repeat end tell

aged  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2008, 01:22 PM

Worked! Thank you!

It's a bit ironic that using DL has made me realize I do not need to be a library all on my own. I've cataloged just about everything in the house and am now whittling that list down in short order.

Forum Links
Forum Rules