Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Now Basically Compatible, Logitech N305 Unifying Number Pad

Now Basically Compatible, Logitech N305 Unifying Number Pad
schalliol
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2010, 03:36 PM

Just FYI:

I bought a Logitech Wireless Performance Mouse MX last year and liked the small receiver that barely sticks out of the USB port. Part of the point of this receiver is that you only need one for whatever accessories you have. The information on the Logitech site says that it works with number pads, keyboards, mice, etc., but I couldn't find a number pad that says it was Mac compatible. I broke down and bought one even though I knew it didn't work well.

Upon getting it, now I had one tiny USB receiver attached to my MacBook Pro, connecting to the number pad and mouse...but a couple issues were a challenge for me out of the box:
1. An extra "num lock" command sent before and after all regular keys, which actually sends a clear in Excel (no problem in a lot of apps).
2. The top "=" "(" and ")" send option and then two digits. I guess on Windows this translates to the appropriate characters.

Now using KeyRemap4MacBook version 6.7.34 and above, a N305 modification is now available under "Change KeyPad Key > Logitech N305 hack." Developer of KeyRemap4MacBook, Takayama Fumihiko, selflessly fixed these problems through some back and forth email chatter. As a side comment, I use this software to make my MBP's right option key into an enter key (like the older MBPs, since often having a single press for enter is better than function return).

Now the keypad does everything I want it to do. It is a bit bigger than the corded unit I was toting around, but it does seem quite durable and allows me to use the single receiver (with a backup now) to run both devices. I do like that the comment says the included AAA batteries will power the unit for years.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Forum Links
Forum Rules