Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > PSA: Cnet pushing adware to Mac users

PSA: Cnet pushing adware to Mac users
P
Oct 29, 2013, 01:59 PM

Popular Download Site Distributing Adware for Top Mac Software

TL;DR: Cnet has replaced its download links with links to an installer that changes your browser search engine and homepage and installs 4 Safari extensions to foul up your browsing experience - basically, just what so many people do on Windows. Avoid at all costs.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2013, 02:06 PM

cnet? whos that?

meador4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2013, 03:45 PM

Many of the so-called "freeware and shareware" download sites for Windows PCs have been doing this for a long time. It's a a totally pathetic shame that they bundle adware, spyware, and toolbars, etc., which pretty much hijack your browser. I know these sites rely on ads to supplement their revenue, but they should just stick with banners or popups (gasp!) instead of hijacking our PCs. Even us Mac users aren't safe anymore on these once reputable sites. Watch for check-boxes when installing software, so you don't install the bundled malware along with the good stuff.

noibs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2013, 05:10 PM

And the number of tracking cookies that are installed from visiting CNet are crazy high.

It's a slimy place.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2013, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by noibs View Post
And the number of tracking cookies that are installed from visiting CNet are crazy high.

It's a slimy place.

What are tracking cookies?

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2013, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by noibs View Post
Sites like that are why all three of my main browsers have DoNotTrackMe extensions installed.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2013, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Titanium Man View Post
Sites like that are why all three of my main browsers have DoNotTrackMe extensions installed.
I would never advise using an extension that can't deliver on its stated purpose.

No website can "tell your browser to contact other companies to obtain your credit card and email address" this is just manipulation.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 29, 2013, 09:23 PM

"Back in the day," CNet was a great resource, but it's declined recently. Since I do more casual browsing on my iPad than anything else (and not with Safari), I am not too worried about such adware, but it's troubling that this has become a standard procedure.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2013, 12:31 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules