Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > VGA & DVI - the difference?

VGA & DVI - the difference?
mduell
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2007, 07:28 PM

Yea, HDMI is just DVI+audio with a different connector.

mduell  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2007, 07:30 PM

Yea, HDMI is just DVI+audio with a different connector, so it will work with your TV.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2007, 02:10 PM

Hey people, i've just been thinking, is there any noticeable difference in the quality between VGA cables and DVI cables? Atm I use a VGA cable with my laptop going through to my external monitor and the quality is exceptional, im just wondering, what better is DVI because I might be using two different monitors but one of them only has a VGA input whereas my main monitor has both VGA and DVI and I don't really think I can be bothered spending £30 to get two adaptors...

Please give me your thoughts.

mduell  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2007, 02:42 PM

DVI carries a digital signal, so there's no quality loss. VGA carries an analog signal, which is more prone to quality loss/degradation/noise/etc.

For LCDs you want DVI, but for CRTs VGA is the only option.

mduell  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2007, 02:45 PM

DVI is digital, so there's no signal degradation, and it looks sharper/better. VGA is analog, so it's prone to signal degradation/noise/etc and looks a little fuzzier.

With LCDs you want DVI, but with CRTs VGA is really the only option.
A DVI cable is only like $5 from reasonable places.

mduell  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2007, 02:47 PM

DVI is digital, so there's no signal degradation, and it looks sharper/better. VGA is analog, so it's prone to signal degradation/noise/etc and looks a little fuzzier.

With LCDs you want DVI, but with CRTs VGA is really the only option.
A DVI cable is only like $5 from reasonable places.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2007, 04:19 PM

Ahhh but wait, I've just spoke to one of my highly intelligent geeky friends, and he says I can run DVI through the HDMI port on the 40" tv which I plan on doing on odd occasions, so if I bought a DVI to HDMI cable, and a mini-dvi to dvi adaptor, i'd be fairly sorted in the lounge and in my room. How convenient.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2007, 06:13 PM

Does VGA really degrade over a good quality shielded 3 foot long cable? I doubt it's even noticable. Digital doesn't degrade, it will either work or not work. I think the thing to look at is minimizing conversions to/from analog/digital.

Forum Links
Forum Rules