Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anticipation, Trepidation and Price Cuts

Anticipation, Trepidation and Price Cuts
Saramin
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2004, 10:16 PM

I'm looking to pick up a 12' Powerbook before I enroll in college come this September. I know that recently Apple announced that there would be no G5 laptop by the end of the year, which is fine since I don't need that much processing power and have no intention of being a Revision A customer (bad previous experience). My question is do you see there being any price cuts in the current lineup before the end of September? I'm trying to decide whether to order the thing now or wait in the hope that it won't take quite that big a chunk out of my bank account. I realize that trying to predict Apple is more than a little uncertain, but I think that they did previous things such as this in the past when there was a long stretch between releases.

Any tips?

James L
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2004, 11:34 PM

Personally, I would say no. There was a price cut when they upgraded them in April. Having said that, don't forget to use your student discount and to save several hundred dollars when you buy.

Cheers,

James

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2004, 01:11 AM

I completely agree. Buy now, don't wait.

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2004, 04:15 AM

wait until at least August

they might come back out with that iPod-Laptop college deal, which is a really nice one
"Government is not the solution, its the problem" --- Ronald Reagan

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 07:56 AM

Hmmm, wait until Septemeber... then you can be sure.

Dont buy until the actual time you need the machine. You may even get a copy of Tiger is you wait until September.

Saramin  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2004, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by HasanDaddy:
wait until at least August

they might come back out with that iPod-Laptop college deal, which is a really nice one
I already have an iPod, so said deal would be kind of pointless for me.

Its not like I really need the PB before September, just like how I don't really need it even once school starts- I can probably get by using the computer lab or something for a few months. So I can afford to wait. Its just that with no PB upgrade coming for at least 8 months chances are they're going to do a price drop. Question is, when?

Edit: I guess getting Tiger would be nice. Is there an estimated ETA on that?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 01:59 PM

I'm looking to buy a powerbook for school (not my primary mac) and I am waiting until at least July 2nd when the developer conference ends. Apple always has tricks up their sleaves and its worth the few weeks to me. If Apple doesn't announce any deals at the end of the month I may wait until the end of August just to be sure.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2004, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by Saramin:
What a way to impress a college girl than by giving her an iPod!

Good thing you talked to us before you bought anything...

James L
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2004, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Saramin:

Its not like I really need the PB before September, just like how I don't really need it even once school starts- I can probably get by using the computer lab or something for a few months. So I can afford to wait. Its just that with no PB upgrade coming for at least 8 months chances are they're going to do a price drop. Question is, when?

Edit: I guess getting Tiger would be nice. Is there an estimated ETA on that?

Not necessarily... there was NO price drop between the Sept 16th 2003 and the April 19th 2004 revisions. The price stayed the same up until the revision, then dropped WITH the revision.

Which does bring up other points. There is a show in September where they updated the PB's last year (that would be 5 months after the current lineup), there is one in November where they have updated the iBooks before (that would be 7 months), and finally, of course, there is MWSF 2005 in January (which would be about 8 months or so).

So the thing is, if you wait until September you will be buying a machine somewhere between 1 and 3 months before the new revision comes out... then you are going to be pissed that there was a revision right after you bought. At least if you buy now you are buying only 3 months after an upgrade, which means you will have between 4 and 7 months of bliss before the new model comes out.

All food for thought. Again, I would buy now. Be sure to use your educational discount, be sure to upgrade all you can (especially to the faster HD), and enjoy!

EDIT: Watch for the OS upgrade to Tiger in October most likely.

Saramin  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2004, 07:22 PM

Thanks guys. I'll probably just order it now since there doesn't seem to be much point in delaying.

Cheers. ^^

Forum Links
Forum Rules