Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB g4, 2 gig memory config?

PB g4, 2 gig memory config?
tastethepain
Jul 22, 2004, 12:12 AM

Has anyone picked up a couple of 2 gig sticks and put them in their PowerBook G4 1.5 ghz? I thought I was doing good putting 1 gb total in the thing, but it's always tapping out the memory.

Too bad the 1 gb sticks are 3x the price of 512 mg sticks. :-(

BTW, I see some folks having isssues with memory. My memory is Apple std (512 single SODIMM) + one 512mb stick from Crucial. Works like a champ.
MBP / 3gig memory / 200gb hard drive / Superdrive

Mac Pro 4x2.66 cores / 8gb memory / ATI 256mb vid / storage---always increasing. :D

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2004, 08:22 AM

What apps are you running that are prompting you to put 2GB in your PB?
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2004, 09:36 AM

yeah, 1gig is more than sufficient. if you really need so much of memory, y dont you spend the money on powermac instead? or else the money should well spend on a faster HDD or other add-on.

just my 2cent
MacPro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacMini, iPad, iPhone, and much more...

tastethepain  (op)
Jul 22, 2004, 09:20 PM

I was running Return to Wolfenstein, if memory serves. I've also run Toast and Virtual PC (what a pig) and had the memory pegged down.

Mac Pro 4x2.66 cores / 8gb memory / ATI 256mb vid / storage---always increasing. :D

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2004, 09:40 PM

now i get the full picture. then you have your reason to go with 2Gigs. If you get the RAM from Apple or Crucial, there shouldnt be much problem. You can stil return them if there's any. Let me know how it goes after you upgrades.

there's something i would like to share. the lastest OSX 10.3.4 cause some slowdown on games, you might want to try downgrade if you're using 10.3.4.
and VPC is a memory intensive program. There's no gaurantee it will run like a pc after you get 2gigs. It is best to check with the VPC users around. I do saw some treat asking about best config for VPC. good luck.

tastethepain  (op)
Jul 23, 2004, 10:56 AM

Downgrading sounds like a potentially good idea. The first time I attempted 10.3.4, I had to reinstall everything.

How do I go about regressing to 10.3.3?

SnakeEyes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2004, 03:15 AM

I've got a new PB 1.5 gig w/the full 2 gigs of memory in it....was going to use it for on the run compositing/visual effects/ and video use, but I still cant get enough power out of her....i guess i learned my lesson! Anybody interested in a maxed out 3 month old powerbook?

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2004, 10:50 AM

you might want to try posting it on the Marketplace.
i think it's much easier to saperate the RAM when selling. Not everyone need 2gigs.

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2004, 10:04 PM

SnakeEyes -

its not fast enough for you?
"Government is not the solution, its the problem" --- Ronald Reagan

Forum Links
Forum Rules