Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Confused by USB bus on 12" PB (appears to be USB 1 instead of USB 2)

Confused by USB bus on 12" PB (appears to be USB 1 instead of USB 2)
uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2003, 06:02 PM

Last night, I took a look at my system profiler while I had both USB ports used on my PB. In one usb port, I had an apple pro keyboard, which in turn had a macally mouse attached to the keyboard hub. And in the second port, I had a usb cable running to my HP Laserjet 1300 which is a USB 2 printer. But when I looked at system profiler, it showed the keyboard on one USB bus and the printer on another USB bus, but the region under "high speed USB" bus was empty. So it looks like it was connecting to my printer with USB 1 instead of USB 2. Can anyone enlighten me? Cheers.

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2003, 07:13 PM

rev B 12" PB's have USB 2 ports. I am not sure about the rev A's Those most likely have a USB 1
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

Sarc
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 07:28 PM

either your PB is a Rev. A (867MHz),

or Apple went cheap on us and had one bus for both USB ports. You see, USB2 will slow down the bus to the slowest speed on the chain, in this case a USB1.1 device.

or it could be just a bug.

do you have a USB2 HDD or another fast access peripheral ?
that way you could bench the speed. USB1.1 will get you about 12/8 MB's/s, USB2 should give you around 480/8 MB's/s.
Try unplugging the keyboard, etc.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 11, 2003, 08:32 PM

Don't worry... there's 1 USB chip, and it has 3 USB controllers in it: 2x USB 1 and 1x USB 2. Any USB port will be routed to the correct USB controller as needed.

tooki

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2003, 08:49 PM

It's a Rev B (1Ghz).

Nothing on the high speed bus even though the printer is USB2.
( Last edited by uv23; Dec 11, 2003 at 08:55 PM. )

jimbo999
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2003, 10:10 PM

The HP LaserJet is not a USB2 device. The description on HP's website only says "USB hot ports" (doesn't specify whether its 1.1 or 2.0). But the PCWorld test report says it is USB 1.1

Both of the external USB ports are USB 2.0 compliant and are on the same PCI USB controller. The internal USB bus, which is part of the Intrepid memory controller, has three USB controllers that are USB 1.1 only. One controller runs the bluetooth module and the internal modem; the other two are disabled. Check out the developer notes

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2003, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by jimbo999:
The HP LaserJet is not a USB2 device. The description on HP's website only says "USB hot ports" (doesn't specify whether its 1.1 or 2.0). But the PCWorld test report says it is USB 1.1
Hmm that's news to me. There's a big "USB 2.0" right on the box and it says in the manual that it works best if connected to a machine with USB 2.0. One has to assume that it is therefore USB 2.0... damn misleading advertising.

jimbo999
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2003, 12:42 AM

I agree, it is very misleading. Check this out for more information.

Forum Links
Forum Rules