Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" PB owners: does your screen "ripple"?

View Poll Results: Does your display ripple when the screen shakes?
Poll Options:
Yes 5 votes (17.86%)
No 23 votes (82.14%)
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll
12" PB owners: does your screen "ripple"?
uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 11:44 AM

It's the newbie again. I did a search but couldn't find anything comprehensive. I've noticed something with my new 12" PB and was wondering if it's normal or not.

When I turn my laptop or do anything that causes the screen to wiggle/shake, I notice a ripple in the LCD display on the right 2/3 of the screen. Is this normal? Cheers.

poisonmonkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2003, 08:07 PM

This isn't normal. It doesn't happen to mine.

And I'd never seen it happen to any other LCD monitors... only the funny wave effect when you press against the back of the old TiBooks...
12"AlPB/RevB/Combo/256/40/AE/20GB iPod

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 08:14 PM

I dunno what to do about this. Right now I'm doing nothing. I went to the retailer where I bought my 12" and the demo model did the same thing. The 15" and 17" models do not so I'm inclined to believe it's a 12" thing. It doesn't happen while I'm typing or anything. Only if I jostle the screen.
( Last edited by uv23; Dec 9, 2003 at 01:24 AM. )

bobpensik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2003, 08:31 PM

that is very odd, mine doesn't do that in the least!
Never Ask A Man What Computer He Uses. If It's A Mac, He'll Tell You. If It's Not, Why Embarrass Him?
-Tom Clancy-

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2003, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by uv23:
I dunno what to do about this. Right now I'm doing nothing. I went to the retailer where I bought my 12" and the demo model did the same thing. The 15" and 17" models do not so I'm inclined to believe it's a 12" thing. It doesn't happen while I'm typing or anything. Only if I jostle the screen.
I had the same problem on my first Rev. A machine.

I called up the Apple store, and they *IMMEDIATELY* offered me a replacement.

It is not normal, it is a common manufacturing DEFECT due to pressure being exerted upon the display by a misaligned/bent screen bevel.

Do not tolerate it and have it replaced/repaired under warranty.

ASAP.

-s*

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2003, 12:01 AM

Ok thanks everyone. I'll call back the service guy tomorrow and see what he can do for me.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2003, 07:58 AM

AppleCare replaced my screen and it no longer ripples.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2003, 11:43 AM

I called westworld this morning and they ordered the new display assembly for me. So in 3 to 5 business days, I'll report back. For those of you that had your screen replaced, was there less ripple or none at all when the screen wiggles? From what I'm reading here, there should be none. I know that I for one have never seen it on a laptop screen or desktop LCD before this. Cheers.

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2003, 01:30 PM

Just got a call that my new screen has arrived. I'm having it installed Thursday morning. Wish me luck! I'm so nervous about ending up with dead pixels or something that I don't have now. *fingers crossed*

bbales
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2003, 01:47 PM

ALl right, what does the ripple look like? In my case, if I touch anywhere along the very top left of my laptop (even very softly) there's a definite reaction from the screen. It's like the light radiating outwards from where the pressure is. It only occurs in that spot. Would this be the ripple? I will say, nothing's happened. But the one-year warranty is up in 2 months, so I want ot make sure I get it fixed, if it's necessary!

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2003, 02:32 PM

Well basically when my screen gets any sort of wiggle or shake, I get a rigid ripple on 2/3 of the screen, somewhat like dropping a pebble in a pond, but not as fluid. Hard to describe.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2003, 03:21 PM

If you have ANY kind of ripple effect anywhere on your screen then you have a duff screen. Apple replaced mine without question. Best thing was my original screen had some dead pixels and my new one doesn't so I'm a double winner. No LCD should ripple in anyway so if your warranty is still active then get it sorted now people!

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2003, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by WOPR:
If you have ANY kind of ripple effect anywhere on your screen then you have a duff screen. Apple replaced mine without question. Best thing was my original screen had some dead pixels and my new one doesn't so I'm a double winner. No LCD should ripple in anyway so if your warranty is still active then get it sorted now people!
Indeed! I had never seen it before on any other LCD screen either. I really hope this new one will do the trick.

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2003, 04:56 PM

Just got back from westworld. The new display definitely ripples less but there's still a little. Seems like it takes more of a jostle to ripple though. One good thing is that the new display does not have any warping and closes solid on both rubber nubs (my last one had 2-3mm of play on one side). I'll be happy with this... for now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules