Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Local retailer refuses to sell travelstar 7200 rpm drives

Local retailer refuses to sell travelstar 7200 rpm drives
uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2003, 02:54 PM

Interesting news indeed. A friend of mine just got back from one of our more knowledgable/savvy hardware retailers and was strongly advised against buying a Hitachi Travelstar hd for his laptop. In fact, they are going to stop carrying the drive altogether due to too many problems/returns. Certainly has me reconsidering this drive as an upgrade fo rmy 12" Rev B.

Not intended as a troll. Just an interesting tid bit.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2003, 06:49 PM

The IBM Travelstars are NOTORIOUS. They failed left and right. [Edit: This is apparently INCORRECT. See the posts below]

Matter of fact, a good friend of mine just lost 30 GB of data a few weeks ago, due to a dead Travelstar laptop drive - including a full recording of one of the best gigs I've ever played, on the day my father died (unbeknownst to me).

IBM sold their entire hard drive business to Hitachi shortly after the big fiasco. I don't know what Hitachi has done with reliability since then, but I for one am not ever touching a Travelstar drive with a ten-foot pole, except to give it a GOOD whack into left field.

My opinion, FWIW.

-s*
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Dec 23, 2003 at 08:41 AM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 22, 2003, 01:02 PM

I must disagree, there's no "notorious" drive failure with IBM/Hitachi drives. (There was the faulty run of Deskstar 75GXP 75GB drives, but it wasn't as widespread as internet hype would have you think.)

I have Travelstars in both my PowerBooks.

tooki

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2003, 03:54 PM

I have to second tooki here on this one - I've had a 20 gig Travelstar in my trusty ole' Pismo for well over a year now and it has been nothing but wonderful. Easy installation, great price, and runs as silent as I could have ever hoped for. I would be interested to hear of any real data in reference to these 'failures' you speak of.

Originally posted by tooki:
I must disagree, there's no "notorious" drive failure with IBM/Hitachi drives. (There was the faulty run of Deskstar 75GXP 75GB drives, but it wasn't as widespread as internet hype would have you think.)

tooki
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2003, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by tooki:

tooki
On the DeskStar I have to strongly disagree.

I personally had 4 DeskStars die personally on me. A close friend has 3 go and a friend I know was replacing them at a rate of 10/day in a large installation.
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2003, 08:39 AM

tooki, you appear to be correct:

The issue affects DeskStars aka "DeathStars". It is, however, *quite* widespread:
http://techreport.com/news_reply.x/3494

So perhaps my friend's Travelstar failure is merely incidental. However, the data loss incurred to me and the link above have destroyed *my* trust in the ***star products.

-s*

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2003, 05:10 PM

I like the Travelstar series, but I prefer Toshibas. That said, I have an 80GB 4200RPM in my Rev A 12" and it runs like a top.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 24, 2003, 05:08 AM

Toshiba's laptop drives work fine but tend to get loud with age (something to do with the bearings).

tooki

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2003, 07:09 AM

IBM resells their rejects as WD, who sells their rejects as hitachi.

They all have a bad record of dying with myself and my friends >_>
Aloha

CatOne
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Link:

They all have a bad record of dying with myself and my friends >_>
Meh... Bulls**t. Hitachi took over HD production for IBM... there is no "this company resells company XXX's reject drives."

Why do you just make this up? Cite a reference if you're not pulling it from a southerly orifice.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2003, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Link:
I call BS.

quietjim
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2004, 12:21 AM

I put one of these drives in a Pismo last Thaniksgiving. No problems, the installation was a snap, no noticable difference from the original drive except it's so nice to have all the space! The Pismo does feel snappier, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jan 19, 2004, 02:04 PM

What can I say? I'm the only one among my friends to have owned a TravelStar and I'm also the only one to have had a drive failure in the last 5 years. Sure this is just anecdotal, but I'm never buying another IBM/Hitachi drive again. Also, who are you going to believe? A bunch of people on the internet, or a retailer who says that they're getting returned left and right? Considering the retailer has seen many, many more drives go through their store (and apparently come back) than most of us have, I would tend to trust the store.

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2004, 06:28 PM

There are absolutely NO, NONE reports at xlr8yourmac.com's drive database about Travelstar drive failures. Deskstar's yes, Travelstars, NO. Thats unbiased, no agenda database results.

I bet your trusty local retailer just happens to have another brand drive they are pushing instead, of course.

Not that they get better markup or alienated their Hitachi/IBM supplier or money/profit vs. actual facts or anything.

Forum Links
Forum Rules