Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > No mouse pointer, black screen, dead expose, or no sound on wake

No mouse pointer, black screen, dead expose, or no sound on wake
uv23
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2005, 12:20 PM

I originally posted this to the Apple boards, but of course got no response. Anyone have any ideas? The mouse pointer thing is a real bitch.

----------------

Ok I have a couple of problems that are driving me up the wall.

Disclaimer: I don't have any funky software installed. Just core Apple stuff plus the usual apps.

At home, I run my 12" PB with the lid closed, attached to an external kb/mouse/monitor. At work, I run it with just an external mouse. I have a password on wake.

Here's what happens, every single day:

Get to work, plug in ethernet/power/usb mouse, open lid, PB wakes up, screen stays black. I have to wait for it to fall back asleep and try once or twice more in order for the screen to come up. I know this is common but I figured I'd mention it. More strangely, when I finally get a login screen and can sign on, it is often the case that my expose hot points are dead and I need to set them to off then back on again for them to work. Also, more rarely my PB loses sound until I reboot.

Get home, plug in ethernet/monitor/power/usb kb & mouse (one cord), PB wakes up, takes 10 or so seconds for the login to come up, then I log in, no mouse pointer. The mouse is still there as I can find my way to the corner of the screen to put the PB to sleep again, but there is no pointer. Only after logging in and putting it to sleep and then waking it back up again do I get my mouse pointer back.

For the love of G-d, someone give us a hand.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2005, 02:46 PM

There's already a thread for the no pointer thing that I started a week ago. It seems that if you reset the PMU and PRAM you stop having problems with the pointer and screen spanning/clamshell mode. Give it a shot and see what happens.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2005, 03:13 PM

Aha, well that's one thing then. I've no idea how to reset those things or what the effect is but I'll look it up. Cheers.

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2005, 05:31 PM

PRAM/PMU clearing didn't fix the problem, unfortunately. OSX is really getting on my nerves lately. Every new update brings with it a new problem.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2005, 02:48 AM

Yeah this last update screwed me pretty good too.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2005, 03:44 AM

I'll second that.

Somewhere around 10.3.4 the black-screen-on-wake bug came up and now with 10.3.7 the missing pointer bug. It's really annoying. I can't see why Apple has to screw stuff up that worked just perfectly fine before they decided to 'improve' it. I do some programming myself so I know that kind of stuff happens, but heck, this is Apple.

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2005, 09:57 AM

I submitted the problem as a bug to apple. Who knows if it'll ever be seen but I encourage everyone to do the same:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2005, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by iREZ:
It seems that if you reset the PMU and PRAM you stop having problems with the pointer and screen spanning/clamshell mode.
Shucks. Had the no-screen-after-wake problem this morning again. So the PRAM/PMU reset certainly isn't a very sustainable solution to the bug.

I sent feedback to Apple right away.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 02:14 PM

Ditto on that, I started getting the no pointer thing again in clamshell mode. So I put the comp to sleep then in spanning mode, then asleep then in clamshell mode again and it worked albeit really annoying that I have to do this every single time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules