Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > Best Battery App?

Best Battery App?
JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2009, 02:36 AM

I'm going on a long plane flight soon and figured that it wouldn't hurt to have a battery application to let me know how long I can watch movies, games, music, ect.

But man are there 1,000 or more battery applications out there.

What battery program do you use? I just downloaded Battery LED! but find it very very flashy. (Functional, but the blinking lights everywhere are total overkill)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2009, 03:50 AM

I don't quite get it. What do you expect that app to tell you that the battery icon won't?

Aside from the battery icon, there's Sys Profiler > Hardware > Power > Battery Information and there's the terminal command ioreg -l | grep -i LegacyBatteryInfo. I don't know if anything those battery apps do goes beyond visualizing that information.

IMHO the best thing to do is to make sure the battery is well calibrated (per Apple's instructions) before you get on the plane. That way you'll have a good idea of how much battery life you're left with at any given time.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2009, 06:32 AM

Hello Simon, and welcome to the IPHONE forum.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2009, 11:05 AM

OMG

Note to self: Never post before picking up coffee.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2009, 11:13 AM

So, after having posted a whole lot of nonsense, let me try to actually post something that's related to your question.

I have played around with Free Battery. It does exactly what you ask. It shows the remaining battery percentage along with an estimate for how many hours you have left for audio, video, voice, or data (wifi and 3G). I didn't use it a whole lot, but got the impression that it works well.

IIRC iPhone OS will only update battery percentage every 5%. So the measurement will show either some granularity or inaccuracy due to interpolation.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2009, 12:24 PM

On the 3GS, the battery info is constantly updated (as percentage charge can be shown, and that's at least divided by 100).

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2009, 09:28 PM

I'll try Free Battery later today.

I downloaded BattPowr and am liking it a bit. Its worth checking out if you're in the market for a free app.

Forum Links
Forum Rules