Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Desktop items not updating: bug with Panther or bug with Photoshop?

Desktop items not updating: bug with Panther or bug with Photoshop?
uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2003, 12:54 PM

Scenario: I am working on a psd file, making several jpg cuts and saving them on the desktop. After saving an item to the desktop, I use expose to reveal the desktop and the items are not there. Only when I launch a new finder does the desktop get updated with the recently saved items.

poocat
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 12:16 PM

i'm not exactly sure what you're doing, but there is no auto-desktop refresh in panther, you have to click on the desktop. this is a conflict that gets debated all the time. if you click on the desktop, though, even in expose, it should show you what's been changed. as long as it's in the background though, it may not show up.

just thoughts.
pc.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 12:26 PM

There are only a few apps that can invoke an update of the Finder. Safari and TextEdit being among them. Otherwise, you have to do as he ^^^ suggested.

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by poocat:
i'm not exactly sure what you're doing, but there is no auto-desktop refresh in panther, you have to click on the desktop.
There isn't? That seems quite strange to me. I never tried clicking on the desktop because I never saw the items there. Opening a new finder did update the desktop. Thanks for the info.

lenox
Senior User
Dec 8, 2003, 01:55 PM

The finder in OS 9 was able to handle this by constantly 'polling' the system, which I guess Apple engineers decided was a bad idea. Their alternative, however, sucks.

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 02:03 PM

I just tried the exact same scenario again but this time I clicked on the desktop and voila, the new file appeared. This is very strange behavior and I bet I'm not nearly the first new Mac user to be confused by it. But at least now I know. Cheers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules