Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How hot is your 12" PowerBook right now?

How hot is your 12" PowerBook right now?
uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 03:03 PM

I'm currently at home, PB lid is closed and I have it connected to an external keyboard, mouse and LCD display. I have a few safari windows open, Word, and mail and the fan is blowing pretty loud. Temeperature monitor shows me at high 49s to 51 degrees C which seems rather high for the low amount of work I'm doing. Is this normal?

I've had it plugged in with the lid open and had way more intensive apps running and the fan never comes on. Does closing it really kill hit dissipation that much? Cheers.

bobpensik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2003, 04:24 PM

mine is never very hot at all!
Never Ask A Man What Computer He Uses. If It's A Mac, He'll Tell You. If It's Not, Why Embarrass Him?
-Tom Clancy-

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 04:27 PM

Well it's sitting back at 49 again. Keep in mind, it doesn't feel hot, but that's what the temeperature monitor is telling me that it's running at. I don't want to have to keep it open when I've got an external monitor hooked up but the fan is driving me crazy .Note that it's a very smooth fan noise, not mechanical sounding or anything, but I am spoiled by how quiet it is (i.e. silent) when I run it open. Just seems like it gets to a point when it's closed where the fan kicks in and it never turns off again until the notebook goes to sleep.

Ricky
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2003, 05:41 PM

Now that it's winter time, I'm glad mine heats up a bit. Keeps me warm.

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2003, 06:16 PM

My PB is at 56 deg. C according to Temperature Monitor. The fan isn't on. The computer doesn't even feel hot (just comfortably warm). It's been on for a few hours now, and I've been doing some heavy duty compiling and installation of software.

I have nothing to complain about.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2003, 06:22 PM

Well, mine is a steaming 149 degrees F. Yah, it really is that hot. Insane eh? I've never heard the fan kick on either. Maybe it should go to apple.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 06:25 PM

I assume both of you guys have Rev As? From what I've read online, the Rev A fans are very reluctant to come on. But it seems they're way too eager to spin up in the Rev Bs. Argh.

ooagentbender
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2003, 07:19 PM

I have a rev A and it used to get rediculously hot where the hard drive is (left wrist). Now I have the back end of it proped up on my actionscript book. It seems to have cooled it down a TON.

fado
Dec 15, 2003, 11:20 AM

I bought a stand and it doesn't seem to get as hot as it did in the past. I assume it is because air travels above and below the computer casing.

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2003, 02:20 PM

Yep, I have rev. A. Even when the fan comes on I don't mind it. I think people are too sensitive over this heat issue. When my computer gets too hot, I take it as a message saying I've been using it too much.

I put the laptop to sleep for 15 minutes or so, go walk around, and by the time I come back it's okay. Is that really so hard?

If the fan comes on, where are you working that its too loud? A library??

I also bought a stand (Macally Coolpad), primarily for raising the laptop so I don't strain my neck so much, and it helps with the heat issue too.

People, if your computer is getting to ~150 F, maybe you're using it a little too much and you should take a break!
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

Dr.Michael
Dec 15, 2003, 05:04 PM

Rev B, 768 RAM:
I started it and checked my mail, surf for 10 minutes now. 32 deg C.
The fan does not start until the processor reaches more than 60 deg. C, what means at least 15 minutes of heavy lifting.
No heat problems at all with my powerbook. The harddrive feels cooler than the one in my IBM T40.

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2003, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:
Rev B, 768 RAM:
I started it and checked my mail, surf for 10 minutes now. 32 deg C.
The fan does not start until the processor reaches more than 60 deg. C, what means at least 15 minutes of heavy lifting.
No heat problems at all with my powerbook. The harddrive feels cooler than the one in my IBM T40.
Ok that doesn't make any sense then. I have an identical machine and my fan starts up at around 45-48 C. Are you running Jaguar by any chance? I am running Panther.

hodaddy
Dec 15, 2003, 05:11 PM

surface temp of my rev a

that thermometer is supposed to be acurate to +-3degrees F.

my pb only gets hot when plugged into the mains tho. on battery it is cool as a cucumber.
if it aint' broke, break it.

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2003, 05:20 PM

To reiterate, we're not talking about surface temperature here. I'm not concerned with how hot my palm rests get or anything. I'm referring to internal temperature and fan behavior.

waitingfor970
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2003, 05:41 PM

I understand that iBooks dissipate heat through the (exposed) keyboard, and I would expect it's the same situation for PowerBooks. Other threads advised against operating iBooks with the lid closed for this reason (probably because they're fanless, unlike the PBs?) The fans constantly kick in on the docked PC laptops at my workplace, although I realize Pentium-based machines are different beasts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules