Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Very strange sudden heat up in 12" Rev B

Very strange sudden heat up in 12" Rev B
uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 06:26 PM

I had a few safari windows open and clicked on a pdf document, which then downloaded to the desktop instead of opening. Immediately following this, I heard the fan in my PB spin up a bit faster. I turned on temeperature monitor and saw the temperature climb steadily from 48 C to 58 C and my fan was going mad! I have never seen my PB hotter than 50 C and that was while doing intensive work. I shut down safari and the temperature immediately began to drop. Very strange indeed. Has anyone else noticed somethign similar happen?

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2003, 11:19 PM

Can you share the url from the site you download the pdf for testing? Could it be something on the webpage you visited?

Haven't experience this yet.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2003, 09:10 PM

It is not really an issue with your PB as such. But I am pretty sure this is a bug in either Safari, or iChat (or both). Do you happen to use iChat?
Let me explain.. There is a bug that has cropped up for some people that for some reason causes the CPU to max out and stay there, right after downloading a file via Safari. It is inconsistant though, and there is no way to make it happen. It just sometimes happens.. Get yourself a CPU gauge/meter type app (I use 'Cee Pee You' from unsanity) and you will see what I mean. It will sometimes be seen to peg itself at 100% and stick there for apparently no reason right after a download.
So, if your CPU maxes out at 100% or so, then obviously some additional heat is going to be produced.
But curiously, when this happens, look at your 'Activity monitor' app, and if you are using iChat, you should see that it is actually iChat hogging all the CPU and not Safari as you would expect. Odd one huh..
If I remember rightly, restarting Safari did not restore the CPU load to more normal levels. But restarting iChat most definitely did fix it.
Also interesting, is that from what I have seen, this oddity only occours on Apple laptops, rather than DeskTop macs (unless someone knows otherwise).
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2003, 08:21 PM

Very strange. It was just a pdf from the lacie site on their Porsche product line. I'll check the activity monitor should it happen again. And nope, I don't use iChat.

Sosa
Senior User
Dec 27, 2003, 12:35 PM

I can reproduce this problem consistently with lawschool.westlaw.com. After updating to Panther I began to experience CPU maxed out freezes when utilizing Safari to search in westlaw.com, a legal research website. I do not experience this problem with Explorer.

You need a password search for cases there though and because it is expensive, perhaps only other law students can verify this.

I'll check if iChat is the actual cause of this.

Update: Ok, I can no longer reproduce the problem, with or without iChat. Strange indeed! This had been happening all semester. I last fell for it 3 weeks ago during finals. The only difference is that I'm at home using a dialup instead of the wireless network. Also I believe that I updated once in this period. I'm on 10.3.2. Perhaps the bug was resolved.
( Last edited by Sosa; Dec 27, 2003 at 01:00 PM. )
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2003, 12:38 PM

Are you running 10.3.1 or 10.3.2?

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2003, 01:06 PM

uv23, I've tried that pdf file from Lacie site and tried to reproduce your scenario. Nothing spin up at all. Sorry couldn't give you a hand on this.

Can you still reproduce that problem?

P.S. I don't use iChat either.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2003, 05:23 PM

It hasn't happened since, no. Very interesting. Could be some sort of safari flaw that created an infinite loop, or some sort of cascading memory leak. I'll definitely post back if it happens again, with more info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules