Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Does anyone SCUBA?

Does anyone SCUBA?
JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 08:23 PM

Over Xmas I went to Thailand and took a SCUBA diving class (PADI Open Water). Fun stuff. I`ve got about 9 days in May and want to take some more classes and do some underwater photography.

Any ideas where I should go diving in South East Asia? (Hopefully somewhere not too expensive.)

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2007, 09:04 PM

It's been a long time since I did any SCUBA, but I did some back in college (and then later on a cruise). It's fun, but I don't really have a lot of time to do it.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 09:07 PM

Yes.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2007, 09:24 PM

I love to, my whole life revolves around it and underwater photography. I don't mean to brag, but I have been to these places:
Bahamas (Columbus Isle) twice
Grand Cayman Twice
Curacao
Bonaire Twice
La Paz, Mexico Twice (My favorite place to dive that I have been to)
Turks and Caicos

Hit me up if you want some underwater D200 Pic Action.

( Last edited by Sub; Jan 25, 2007 at 06:32 PM. )

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2007, 02:18 AM

Try Puerto Galera in the Philippines. It is a great place for diving, with many diverse dive sites in a compact area. I have done about 85 dives there myself.

If your interested I can recommend some dives and some places to stay.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2007, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
Over Xmas I went to Thailand ...

Any ideas where I should go diving in South East Asia? (Hopefully somewhere not too expensive.)
Hmm, I think you just said it yourself - Thailand!

Where have you been? Koh Tao?
If not, then definately go there!
But if you want it really cheap and have other options than South East Asia then go to Honduras! Probaly the cheapest place on earth for diving (and still very beautiful)!

macroy
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2007, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
Over Xmas I went to Thailand and took a SCUBA diving class (PADI Open Water). Fun stuff. I`ve got about 9 days in May and want to take some more classes and do some underwater photography.

I did the exact same thing about 10 years ago in Phuket. It was one of the coolest experiences I ever had. I'd love to pick it up again, but classes are so expensive around here.... and in D.C. not exactly something you can enjoy very often afterwards.

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2007, 01:40 PM

My fiancé is a Padi Dive Master, her brother is a Padi Dive Master, her mother is a Padi Instructor, and Her father is a Padi Instructor, Deep Tech Instructor, Padi Spelunking Instructor, and Padi Underwater Photo Instructor. I, on the other hand, was suited up and pushed off the boat once in Key West. I liked it, but not nearly as much as most dive people. All I tend to see are pics of fishes and wrecks. Even their Christmas tree is decorated with crystal fishes and divers. A bit much for me, I like sl=nowy mountains.
As to your question, they seem to have been everywhere. They leave the country on dive trips twice a year on average. My fiancé seemed to like Palau quite a bit.
SAm

Here are some of her fathers pics:
H2Owens Underwater Photography

andi*pandi
Jan 18, 2007, 01:48 PM

we used to. Cayman was nice, where I finished my certification, and then we went to Fiji, which was much more wild, much less abused, and really beautiful.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2007, 02:42 PM

I learned in Zanzibar, off the coast of Tanzania. Neither easy to get to, as cheap as say Thailand or any of that. But beautiful coral, sea creatures esp whale sharks.

Yeah, I know this is not useful but hey...

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2007, 03:10 PM

Okinawa, Japan. It's comparable to the Bahamas, only a lot less crowded.
( Last edited by osiris; Jan 18, 2007 at 03:35 PM. )
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2007, 03:55 PM

Sorry for the slight derailing, but do you Scuba folks use diving watches or other electronic info gear? How common is those stuff?

I ask, because I have a new Suunto D9 diving watch here, complete with sensor kit. I don't dive so I like to sell it, but I have not yet an idea where. this watch "seems" too special for eBay (few auctions, price uncalculable).

Regards
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2007, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Hmm, I think you just said it yourself - Thailand!

Where have you been? Koh Tao?
If not, then definately go there!
But if you want it really cheap and have other options than South East Asia then go to Honduras! Probaly the cheapest place on earth for diving (and still very beautiful)!
Yes, Koh Tao. Spent a week there. Just enjoying the sun, atmosphere, and a bit of SCUBA. Going back there was my first choice, but it'll cost me around 100,000¥ in air fair to go there for a week.

I'd love to hear more about Puerto Galera in the Philippines. Visiting a new country would be quite nice.

I'm heading back to the US for two weeks in August for a wedding. I was thinking about taking one of those weeks and going diving. Florida?

tie
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2007, 01:43 AM

PB, I'd think Ebay would be fine. If not, I'd try scubaboard perhaps. Price should be easy to calculate based on online dive stores.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Forum Links
Forum Rules